Jets First Round Pick Revisited

Spudicus

Well now we have a coach there are many many more mock drafts, not going through them this time still no consensus, I see more CB most have switched over to DJ Moore at CB, I see a lot less LB most seem to think that Maualuga goes way before we pick, a couple have Laurinaitis going to us now, still have few going RB a couple think Sanchez falls and I have started seeing some that have us going off the board and taking Tyson Jackson earlier than expected.

So I'm going to propose these scenarios and I would like to see Jet Nation's response to see if we as jets fans are on the same board or all over the place like the glut of mock drafters out there.

Favre comes back, Coles Stays and no significant off season signings other than depth. All of the top linebackers are gone aside from the DE/OLB players, top picks we could get are DJ Moore, Moreno, Maybin, Maclin, Jackson.

Coles has been traded for a high second round pick this year, Favre retired, with all the cap room we Signed Greer and Ryan pulled together a trade for one of his young safties Nakamura. All the quality corners are taken but because of that a LB remains Maualuga, also Sanchez has pulled a Brady Quinn and has plumeted. We are left with a top LB and top QB to choose from as well as all the previous players minues moore.

Favre retired, and Ryan and Tanny worked together cleared cap room and managed to sign Greer, Scott, and Leonhard elminating almost all of our defensive needs. When 17 comes up were free to go offense Maclin, Wells and Moreno are gone, We are left with McCoy or Harvin, or trading back into round 2 and grabing a Nicks, Bey, or Britt at WR or Freeman at QB

1. Given the things I've heard recently and how Ryan likes to create pressure to cause bad throws and get takeaways, I'd go corner to beef up the coverage.

2. Even with a need at QB those singings go a long way to making our defense truly strong, the singings take care of a spotty coverage unit and Maualuga gives us a Rey Lewis type to provide the fire and leadership we lack.

3. I'd be tempted to go McCoy because he seems like a clone of C-Mart but given this choice trade back, no one left can make the kind of impact as a rookie we need from this pick, so save the money and get guys in round 2.

So thats what I think, what do you think folks?

Well now we have a coach there are many many more mock drafts, not going through them this time still no consensus, I see more CB most have switched over to DJ Moore at CB, I see a lot less LB most seem to think that Maualuga goes way before we pick, a couple have Laurinaitis going to us now, still have few going RB a couple think Sanchez falls and I have started seeing some that have us going off the board and taking Tyson Jackson earlier than expected.

So I'm going to propose these scenarios and I would like to see Jet Nation's response to see if we as jets fans are on the same board or all over the place like the glut of mock drafters out there.

Favre comes back, Coles Stays and no significant off season signings other than depth. All of the top linebackers are gone aside from the DE/OLB players, top picks we could get are DJ Moore, Moreno, Maybin, Maclin, Jackson.

Coles has been traded for a high second round pick this year, Favre retired, with all the cap room we Signed Greer and Ryan pulled together a trade for one of his young safties Nakamura. All the quality corners are taken but because of that a LB remains Maualuga, also Sanchez has pulled a Brady Quinn and has plumeted. We are left with a top LB and top QB to choose from as well as all the previous players minues moore.

Favre retired, and Ryan and Tanny worked together cleared cap room and managed to sign Greer, Scott, and Leonhard elminating almost all of our defensive needs. When 17 comes up were free to go offense Maclin, Wells and Moreno are gone, We are left with McCoy or Harvin, or trading back into round 2 and grabing a Nicks, Bey, or Britt at WR or Freeman at QB

1. Given the things I've heard recently and how Ryan likes to create pressure to cause bad throws and get takeaways, I'd go corner to beef up the coverage.

2. Even with a need at QB those singings go a long way to making our defense truly strong, the singings take care of a spotty coverage unit and Maualuga gives us a Rey Lewis type to provide the fire and leadership we lack.

3. I'd be tempted to go McCoy because he seems like a clone of C-Mart but given this choice trade back, no one left can make the kind of impact as a rookie we need from this pick, so save the money and get guys in round 2.

my dream scenario. if we get those 3 guys I think our expectations can be bigger in 09 then they were in 08 IMO. but I wouldnt go offense with 17th pick. i would get a DE like tyson jackson from LSU or Maybin from penn state. if not trade back with someone to get another 2nd round pick and use ours with Hakeem Hicks, then get defense with the 2nd rounder we get from whoever.

Ok so maybe the draft pick was a little bit of a fantasy, call it a whatever rounder you want, the point was to be free of the salary, and as for Moore Vanderbilt has him listed as a corner so I'm going with that. Maybin would be getting Gholston all over again, lets see if he works before getting a replacment. I like the idea of going Jackson to replace Coleman or Ellis but if we get those 3 guys we'd do fine with the line we have the ends in baltimore are pretty average Pryce=Ellis and Bannan=Coleman so I think we'd be fine there if the rest of the D improves.

I think part of having an excellent defense is having an offense that can sustain drives and eat up clock. So, I think RB is a glaring need. Jones/Leon was a great combo this year. And going forward I expect Leon to get more touches. But its best to have Jones' replacement in house before his play inevitably diminishes. Plus, RB depth is a hallmark of all good teams in this era. And right now the Jets have none.

I think part of having an excellent defense is having an offense that can sustain drives and eat up clock. So, I think RB is a glaring need. Jones/Leon was a great combo this year. And going forward I expect Leon to get more touches. But its best to have Jones' replacement in house before his play inevitably diminishes. Plus, RB depth is a hallmark of all good teams in this era. And right now the Jets have none.

Very good point and it would be ideal to replace jones with a bigger back to compliment leon (who we better resign when the time comes).

My favorite non-1st round RB as of now is Rashaad Jennings out of Liberty. He has a great frame and so far at the senior bowl as showed good hands outta the backfield and a quick burst to the hole. I really think he could be a great compliment to leon and a perfect back to groom to replace TJ.

In that situation I think I'd go with Jackson. We could use an upgrade on the d-line since Ellis and Coleman are merely average. Jackson is a near perfect fit as a 3-4 DE and does a very good job against the run, while also providing some pressure at times. Ryan had a lot of talent on the Ravens d-line and this would definitely improve our versatility on the line and allow him to be more creative. I'd give strong consideration Maclin but I'm not in love with him as a prospect and think a similar caliber WR prospect can be found in the 2nd.

I'd have to go with Sanchez there. We don't have a QB on the roster to justify passing on a top QB prospect. Like the saying goes when you don't have a franshise QB its hard to pass on one. I don't want to have nothing behind Clemens who's shown little and Ratliff who's shown nothing and was an UDFA to begin with. If Clemens/Ratliff turn into something then we'll simply have a desirable piece, in Sanchez, on the bench that we can eventually trade for something, some what similar to the Atlanta situation a few years back. On top of that Maualuga isn't the greatest prospect in the world. He's got talent but his instincts are severely lacking.

In this situation I'd do my best to trade back. McCoy and Harvin are not worth it IMO and I like Nicks, Bey, and Britt all better anyways. I'd love to grab Britt in the 2nd round. He's a big receiver that has pretty much all the tools except blazing speed. Like most young receivers he needs to work on route running but once he gets that on point he'll be a good one. I want no parts of Freeman even though his potential is pretty high. Despite his tools he's a bit of a project. His decision making and, most importantly, his accuracy are suspect and having those weakness, among others, tend to prevent young QBs from succeeding.

All excellent points, Jennings would be a good RB to target in rd 2, good size. I don't think it matters what we get for Coles at this point, as long as we Control where he goes an get rid of all of the salary if we are getting rid of him. Great points Gang_green03, I agree with you on Jackson, a 3-4 DE like that does not come around that often and Ellis is getting old and Coleman is getting average. However comparing our DE to those in the ravens system now they are very similar so I think given that situation where the coverage has not been addressed and given the Ravens using the rush to create bad throws beefing up the coverage might be a good idea. I'd prefer Maualuga to complete the D I'm not convinced Sanchez is ready, but really it's a coin flip either one of them could make an impact from day one. So far we all seem to agree on the last situation, if we make the singings and improve the D trading back makes the most sense. I think Freeman should be an option if we have 2 #2's he's young and has the physical tools. You could sign him bring in a vet for camp and let the Vet, Ratliff and Clemens compete, the best starts the worst gets cut and the whole time you develop Freeman.

Archived