Yankees Bullpen

Morrissey

Who would you rather have.. Joakim Soria or Tim Lincecum? These would the best young and up and coming closer and starting pitcher. To me.. it's not even close.

Until these guys make an impression in the big leagues, it's not even an issue. You can write a book on how many hot shot pitchers in the minors never made to the bigs for one reason or another.

Until these guys make an impression in the big leagues, it's not even an issue. You can write a book on how many hot shot pitchers in the minors never made to the bigs for one reason or another.

There both already in the league, who do you pick? The shutdown closer or the stud starting pitcher?

There both already in the league, who do you pick? The shutdown closer or the stud starting pitcher?

To be honest, I don't know who these two guys are. However, I know what you're alluding to. The starting pitcher of course...now, hold on a minute. What I've seen of Joba as a starter and Joba as a reliever, I like the reliever Joba better and I think that is the reason why some Yankee fans like myself want him in the pen to setup Rivera.

Just wait till they see how many baserunners K-Rod allows.

That is meaningless as well.

They may have a heart attack, but if they give up less runs and have less blown saves maybe they win the division instead of the World Champion Phillies.

To be honest, I don't know who these two guys are. However, I know what you're alluding to. The starting pitcher of course...now, hold on a minute. What I've seen of Joba as a starter and Joba as a reliever, I like the reliever Joba better and I think that is the reason why some Yankee fans like myself want him in the pen to setup Rivera.

Tim Lincecum? He just won the NL Cy Young.

Lets pretend for a second Joba can either be a shutdown closer or a ace. The ace is more valuable, and it's not even close.

Besides with Girardi being actually better then Torre with one thing, and that would be the pen, why would anyone even consider having Joba in the pen? Girardi had people we all thought were bums, like Edwar Ramirez, Brian Bruney, and Jose Veras, and he made them into pretty good relievers. Our bullpen isn't weak, we can afford to have someone like Joba in the rotation.

Tim Lincecum? He just won the NL Cy Young.

Lets pretend for a second Joba can either be a shutdown closer or a ace. The ace is more valuable, and it's not even close.

Joba will have to show the ability to throw innings without breaking down. He couldn't make it through the season last year with pitch counts and inning restrictions, so I'm not sure he can handle the load a true ace has to carry. I hope he proves me wrong and is a 5 time Cy Young guy, but at this point all I see is a kid with a live arm and nerves of steel that could be the replacement for Mo. He's proven he can shut down major league hitters in big spots already. That said, the Steinbenner kids (not exaclty "baseball guys") can proclaim Joba a starter and that will be the deal. I respectfully, as a fan, diasgree with that decision.

Joba will have to show the ability to throw innings without breaking down. He couldn't make it through the season last year with pitch counts and inning restrictions, so I'm not sure he can handle the load a true ace has to carry. I hope he proves me wrong and is a 5 time Cy Young guy, but at this point all I see is a kid with a live arm and nerves of steel that could be the replacement for Mo. He's proven he can shut down major league hitters in big spots already. That said, the Steinbenner kids (not exaclty "baseball guys") can proclaim Joba a starter and that will be the deal. I respectfully, as a fan, diasgree with that decision.

He's 23 years old, and like all 23 year olds, they have a lot to prove, and until you actually give them a chance, you will never know.

He's 23 years old, and like all 23 year olds, they have a lot to prove, and until you actually give them a chance, you will never know.

Fair enough. I just don't want to see the kid either a. hurt himself or b. lose his confidence and become a "what if". I'm hoping the Yankees organization will be smart enough to evaluate him based on what he is, not what they want him to be.

Actually it isn't a debate, it's been announced by basically everyone in this front office of the team that he's a starter. It's just time to get over it.

Actually it is a debate if you read through this thread. I'm well aware of the stance of the Yankees brass. If he can pitch a full year without setbacks, I'll be over it.

Actually it is a debate if you read through this thread. I'm well aware of the stance of the Yankees brass. If he can pitch a full year without setbacks, I'll be over it.

It's a debate to the fans, but it isn't a debate to the Yankees front office. The only way it's a debate is if he gets injured from having a tired arm, which would be proof that he can't handle it. Then I would say he would need to be in the pen, but that won't happen, because he's been a starter his whole life.

If you plan on having Joba as a starter in the long run, you can't stall his development by having him in the bullpen. Nothing should get in a way of the development of a young pitcher. You can't let 36 year old pitcher change the way you develop him, and you can't let a void in the bullpen effect what you do. If you have a plan, you need to stick with it. The Yankees have messed around with Joba too much already. Joba threw 100 innings last year. He should be good for 140-150. It's going to be easy enough for the Yankees to keep him in the back end of rotation the whole season by taking him out after 6 innings in a blow out or even skipping a few starts.

I want to go on record as saying I am okay with stalling his long term development for a championship.

:-P

I want to go on record as saying I am okay with stalling his long term development for a championship.

:-P

+1

:P

Mark Melancon is the future closer. You guys will see how good this guy is sometime this season.

Yep, that's true. If Melancon is close to what Joba was two seasons ago in the pen, this conversation is probably moot.

It's a debate to the fans, but it isn't a debate to the Yankees front office. The only way it's a debate is if he gets injured from having a tired arm, which would be proof that he can't handle it. Then I would say he would need to be in the pen, but that won't happen, because he's been a starter his whole life.

Starters tend to last longer than bullpen guys anyway.

Fair enough. I just don't want to see the kid either a. hurt himself or b. lose his confidence and become a "what if". I'm hoping the Yankees organization will be smart enough to evaluate him based on what he is, not what they want him to be.

They want him to be what he's been since his days at Nebraska, a dominant starting pitcher.

Archived