Kirwan has a mock on NFL.com

TNJet

He has us taking wr Hakeem Nicks at 17. Wow,this is exactly who i want too. He has Maclin and Crab going in the top ten and with the departue of Coles says we nab the next best thing (which is who i happen to think is the best overall wr anyway) in Nicks. Thoughts?

There are a lot of good receivers out there. This draft is really deep at that position. I think, depending on how it all falls out, that we could get Maclin, Nicks, or Heyward-Bey. I don't know which of these guys would be to Rex' or Schotties liking but I have to assume that they want a burner. Then in Round 2 is Brian Robiskie. There's also a guy who is intriguing in the middle rounds, 3 to 5, Ramses Barden. He is 6'6" with huge hands and is a TD machine. I think he would create huge mismatches.

There are a lot of good receivers out there. This draft is really deep at that position. I think, depending on how it all falls out, that we could get Maclin, Nicks, or Heyward-Bey. I don't know which of these guys would be to Rex' or Schotties liking but I have to assume that they want a burner. Then in Round 2 is Brian Robiskie. There's also a guy who is intriguing in the middle rounds, 3 to 5, Ramses Barden. He is 6'6" with huge hands and is a TD machine. I think he would create huge mismatches.

Although Heyward-Bey has great speed I think he'll last until Round 2. His hands are suspect.

I don't think we need a TD machine. We need someone like Nicks: durable, stout run-blocking, and pro-ready.

I think that's what you would want out of a 1st Round WR.

I hate how the common credo is that WR take 3 yrs to develop REGARDLESS of draft position. So, in the end, I'd rather take a cheaper flier on a mid-round WR prospect than a EXPENSIVE Potential project like DHB or a Maclin (he's still relatively young at the position) in the 1st.

We learned our lesson with Keyshawn. BUT if the Jets MUST go WR @ #17, Nicks is your man b/c he can AT LEAST do that ALREADY and contribute immediately. Coles in 2000 was the last Jets WR rookie to consistently contribute. Keller is a TE.

Archived