Money Ball -- By Tyson Rauch

Maxman

- Bigger media market (more expensive)

- Bigger salaries (people in NYC make more than AZ)

- Higher corp costs (real estate, taxes, transportation).

Net-net, living and working in NYC is more expensive than other places.

BZ

but these disadvantages are also advantages in bringing in revenue for the most part.

but these disadvantages are also advantages in bringing in revenue for the most part.

Right, but to bring in the revenue, you still have to spend the cap (or close).

It is not a perfect equation, but really, people should think about the entire economic situation before starting another Woody man hunt.

BZ

It is not a perfect equation, but really, people should think about the entire economic situation before starting another Woody man hunt.

BZ

:rl::rl::rl:

A billion dollar plus franchise is saving thousands of dollars but impacting lives with this move. But hey, let's not blast Woody.

Classic.

A billion dollar plus franchise is saving thousands of dollars but impacting lives with this move. But hey, let's not blast Woody.

Classic.

No.. go ahead.. blast Woody because he makes all the decisions about everything from what type of TP they put in the Meadowlands, to personally photoshopping the website.

BZ

Classic.

If my job gave me two weeks off without pay in the summer. I'd be pretty happy about it. To be honest.

BZ

ok dude, when you drive out the back of the stadium after the game, did you ever see the helicopter taking off shuffling woody off to wherever. Maybe if you sold off the chopper the money saved in maintaining and flying it and the money from selling it would pay these people's salaries. Look, I am a business owner, I get wanting to own your own business so you can make what you want and run things how you want. I also believe that the owner gets to run his business how he sees fit. But, when you are as rich as he is, spend as much moeny superfuiosly as he does, then decide to save a few bucks by squeezing the low level people knowing they have to take it because they can't get work anywhere else, I think that is a crime. Normally I would say everyone has the right to quit and work elsewhere, but right now the economy is in a special situation, and honestly, not paying people only makes it worse for the economy, less money in people's pocket to spend on stuff and increased job security anxiety.

Also, I get having to spend on players, but does spending money on the stadium do anything to help the product on the field? Last I checked, the jets were sold out for years with a 10,000 strong wait list. The only real reason Woody is spending money on a stadium is to increase his bottom line with more concessions, and everyone knows it. Punishing the fans by making them pay for Woody's ability to milk more money out of fans on gameday really sucks. I have an ecommerce website, imagine if I spent 20,000 on making it better with more features to capture sales, then went and added a 10.00 surcharge to every order to pay for my upgrades. How much business do you think I would get? So woody goes and cries about stadium costs and having to trim the budget by making the average employee take 2 weeks off, knowing they have no choice but to eat the sh#t sandwich he is serving because unemployment is at an all time high, while also knowing that he is making just as much this year as he did last year and was able to pay people.

Yeah, this is a woody witch hunt.

If my job gave me two weeks off without pay in the summer. I'd be pretty happy about it. To be honest.

Well, my employees have families, tuitions, and mortgages and I know they would not be happy, so I have drained away my personal savings rather than fire or put people out of work. I doubt most people with families would be so happy to get 2 weeks off, especially since most people's savings have been cut in half and most americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

No.. go ahead.. blast Woody because he makes all the decisions about everything from what type of TP they put in the Meadowlands, to personally photoshopping the website.

BZ

You should take a step back at stop feeling the need to defend everything the Jets do. Sometimes the Jets make the wrong decision. Sometimes they receive unfair criticism.

This is not one of those times though, the Jets deserve to take crap for this because it is a crappy thing to do. They are kicking the little man because they can.

ok dude, when you drive out the back of the stadium after the game, did you ever see the helicopter taking off shuffling woody off to wherever. Maybe if you sold off the chopper the money saved in maintaining and flying it and the money from selling it would pay these people's salaries. Look, I am a business owner, I get wanting to own your own business so you can make what you want and run things how you want. I also believe that the owner gets to run his business how he sees fit. But, when you are as rich as he is, spend as much moeny superfuiosly as he does, then decide to save a few bucks by squeezing the low level people knowing they have to take it because they can't get work anywhere else, I think that is a crime. Normally I would say everyone has the right to quit and work elsewhere, but right now the economy is in a special situation, and honestly, not paying people only makes it worse for the economy, less money in people's pocket to spend on stuff and increased job security anxiety.

Also, I get having to spend on players, but does spending money on the stadium do anything to help the product on the field? Last I checked, the jets were sold out for years with a 10,000 strong wait list. The only real reason Woody is spending money on a stadium is to increase his bottom line with more concessions, and everyone knows it. Punishing the fans by making them pay for Woody's ability to milk more money out of fans on gameday really sucks. I have an ecommerce website, imagine if I spent 20,000 on making it better with more features to capture sales, then went and added a 10.00 surcharge to every order to pay for my upgrades. How much business do you think I would get? So woody goes and cries about stadium costs and having to trim the budget by making the average employee take 2 weeks off, knowing they have no choice but to eat the sh#t sandwich he is serving because unemployment is at an all time high, while also knowing that he is making just as much this year as he did last year and was able to pay people.

Yeah, this is a woody witch hunt.

That is the potw right there. Amen Joe.

I took a pay cut this year. Took less base salary and it got tied to incentives. Huge risk for me, could have just done the corporate thing and blamed the recession like everyone else is doing. Went along with the layoff talk. We could have gotten rid of some people that don't make as much.

It wasn't the right thing to do for this company. Fire people now because we can, only to rehire new people when things are better.

Stick by your people. And they will stick by you.

There are times when that isn't the case. Companies are losing money and they have to cut back. Understandable. My company wasn't in that boat and neither are the Jets.

Woody deserves every ounce of crap he gets over this.

Well, my employees have families, tuitions, and mortgages and I know they would not be happy, so I have drained away my personal savings rather than fire or put people out of work. I doubt most people with families would be so happy to get 2 weeks off, especially since most people's savings have been cut in half and most americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

Joe you are rare. I know what you are doing to keep that company afloat and you should be commended.

Joe you are rare. I know what you are doing to keep that company afloat and you should be commended.

ehh, just trying to do the right thing, nothing more, nothing less. I am picking up a little side work helping some friends with their site, adwords campaign and stuff. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Unfortunately Arsis many people cannot afford that luxury.

Hats off to you Joebaby, I have several friends in the same situation and they are borderline having a nervous break down over it.

BZ I get your stance, but just have to disagree. This is no witch hunt, it is more about reality.

Archived