WFAN

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen.  It's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I randomly tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station. 

Used to be my goto 10 years ago ... Carton brought the clown show and the channel took a dive. Now listen to New England Central ... i mean sirius xm NFL radio.
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

With the explosion of podcasts where you can choose from hundreds and thousands of shows discussing thousands of different topics, it's mind boggling anyone still listens to the mouthbreathers on WFAN or ESPN Radio. 

Have  a soft spot for Brandon Tierney because his dad is a family friend of longstanding, and Lagreca because I met him at a Mets game and he was a total gentleman when he didn't have to be nice to me or anyone else. And both at least limit their shows to things they know about and don't pretend to know everything about everything. Having said that, listen to music or podcasts over both. 

The rest are too cowardly to try their hand at standup, and to dumb to talk about anything, Carton being far and way the worst.

Why anyone would think people shotgunning cans of chili would be quality radio entertainment fodder is beyond me. 

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen, it's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning, I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station.  Now it's a disaster.

Part of the reason @GREENBEAN and I started our own channels!

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen, it's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning, I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station.  Now it's a disaster.

Agreed 100%. The show and station really took a bad turn. More and more Boomer giving his political views, having Chris Christie multiple times for full shows, , and then the absolute over the top moronic frat house mentality. With so much great content on YouTube ( @bla bla bla @Green Bean and so many others)  I never listen and have unfollowed them on twitter. WFAN is AWFUL 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

It's truly sad. And with the Schmooze retiring, the last vestiges of what made the station special are now gone. 

That said, sports media is pretty similar to what's happened to all media. You can stay in a team-specific zone of blogs, commentators, etc. for your team and never have to deal with the commentary of the broader leagues if you don't want to. 

But dollar for dollar, Rich Eisen is probably the best commentator out there today and it certainly helps that he's a Jets fan. 

I really like Eisen, I also love his celebrity True of False segments.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

After the combine in a few weeks and the calendar turns to March, the only thing I consistently listen to is NFL Network, especially Movin the Chains. All football, and just gets you psyched and prepared for the draft. Speaking of the FAN, are those two idiots Moose and Maggie still employed?

No they got fired. It’s Tierny and Tiki now

• Upvote 2

Radio as a whole is dying because you can't push the limits anymore for fear of being "Cancelled" by Cancel Culture. The Stern show today is nothing like it was 15-20 years ago. Go listen to his Howard 101. How much stuff do they actually play from his prime years ? 

Mike and Dog were entertaining because they were not afraid to call out people and get into it with them or even each other. Everything now is analytics, let's be nice to these folks so they come back on blah blah blah.

I don't know maybe we were just spoiled and didn't realize it at the time how good we had it. Between Stern in the morning Mike and Dog or Opie and Anthony in afternoon for the ride home commuting was actually tolerable for 10-15 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Radio as a whole is dying because you can't push the limits anymore for fear of being "Cancelled" by Cancel Culture. The Stern show today is nothing like it was 15-20 years ago. Go listen to his Howard 101. How much stuff do they actually play from his prime years ? 

Mike and Dog were entertaining because they were not afraid to call out people and get into it with them or even each other. Everything now is analytics, let's be nice to these folks so they come back on blah blah blah.

I don't know maybe we were just spoiled and didn't realize it at the time how good we had it. Between Stern in the morning Mike and Dog or Opie and Anthony in afternoon for the ride home commuting was actually tolerable for 10-15 years.

Always looked forward to Whip em out Wednesdays.?

• Post of the Week 1

Somewhere around 10 years ago they started to really dumb down sports radio and ESPN debates shows but the nail in the coffin for me as far as consuming sports media was the lockdowns and Covid....I barely respect these guys opinions on sports the last thing I'm interested in is being lectured on public health and race relations. lmao

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

Somewhere around 10 years ago they started to really dumb down sports radio and ESPN debates shows but the nail in the coffin for me as far as consuming sports media was the lockdowns and Covid....I barely respect these guys opinions on sports the last thing I'm interested in is being lectured on public health and race relations. lmao

Lifeblood of ESPN. 24/7.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

With the explosion of podcasts where you can choose from hundreds and thousands of shows discussing thousands of different topics, it's mind boggling anyone still listens to the mouthbreathers on WFAN or ESPN Radio. 

This...

I, like just about every here, can't listen to WFAN/ESPN anymore - used to love it....

But I found a few good podcasts, bluetooth connects to my car and listen to those when I get in there car.  There are plenty to choose from and pretty easy to find something you like.

• Upvote 3