Money Ball -- By Tyson Rauch

Maxman

When will all of the fans angered over this stop watching and give up their tickets?

Why not just ask Chad to give back some of the $3,000,000 cap hit he has on the JETS this year... he seems like a nice guy... ;)

At least the Jets are consistent. They certainly have demonstrated they don't care about the fans, and now the employees. Did the two weeks really keep the Jets afloat ?:)

The two weeks allowed Woody to add popcorn machines in the luxury boxes :)

So let me get this straight, you'd rather the JETS use their $$$ to pay a bunch of employees or do you want them to put a watchable product on the field? Everyone is feeling the pinch of the recession, you have to have a heirarchy in any business, unfortunalt those low level employees are at the bottom of said hierarchy

So let me get this straight, you'd rather the JETS use their $$$ to pay a bunch of employees or do you want them to put a watchable product on the field? Everyone is feeling the pinch of the recession, you have to have a heirarchy in any business, unfortunalt those low level employees are at the bottom of said hierarchy

Woody: Bart we are about 500k apart on your contract... I dont want to lay anyone off or make any changes... you know... I want to be a nice guy...

Bart Scott: **** you then I am a Raven...

Somehow I doubt that conversation would happen... lol

Not really the point. The Jets can build a 1.3 billion dollar stadium. They can't pay a $1,200 per week employee? C'mon. We are in a recession\depression. I get it. But MANY companies are doing sh*t like this because they can. Not because they have to.

It is the principal of thing- the Jets are asking their fans to pony up thousands of dollars for PSL's and giving big contracts to free agents but they need to give a two week furlough to people working in their organization?

Not really the point. The Jets can build a 1.3 billion dollar stadium. They can't pay a $1,200 per week employee? C'mon. We are in a recession\depression. I get it. But MANY companies are doing sh*t like this because they can. Not because they have to.

I'm fairly certain that the 1.3 billion was spent/committed before this recession started. I'd be shocked if any new stadium deal would be announced right now.

As to the players vs. employees thing, Bart Scott is part of the Jets product, the employees, while necessary, don't do very much to generate revenue for the team. Until you start buying jerseys of Meghan Gilmore, the media relations coordinator, she's not the one generating revenue for the team.

It sucks that this is happening, but at least no one is loosing their jobs. Times are tough right now, and while the NFL isn't going anywhere, but with expenses like the stadium, which currently net a huge loss, I'm sure the Jets are feeling the strain as well.

funny the Giants are not doing this, why is that?

They have more money.

They have more fans. (leading to more money)

They just won a Superbowl. (leading to more money)

They have their own stadium creating ad revenue.

They have more fans.

I'm fairly certain that the 1.3 billion was spent/committed before this recession started. I'd be shocked if any new stadium deal would be announced right now.

As to the players vs. employees thing, Bart Scott is part of the Jets product, the employees, while necessary, don't do very much to generate revenue for the team. Until you start buying jerseys of Meghan Gilmore, the media relations coordinator, she's not the one generating revenue for the team.

It sucks that this is happening, but at least no one is loosing their jobs. Times are tough right now, and while the NFL isn't going anywhere, but with expenses like the stadium, which currently net a huge loss, I'm sure the Jets are feeling the strain as well.

That is total B.S. Did you ever see the David Tratner shop on Cafepress? They sold millions in "Team Tratner Gear". Now the same people they profited from have to take a 2 week leave. The Jets are hypocrites.

If I hear that they are touching the medical coverage for the flight crew I am going to be even more pissed.

And Meghan Gilmore? Don't get me started, she works 80 hour weeks.

Damn you Jets. Damn you.

That is total B.S. Did you ever see the David Tratner shop on Cafepress? They sold millions in "Team Tratner Gear". Now the same people they profited from have to take a 2 week leave. The Jets are hypocrites.

If I hear that they are touching the medical coverage for the flight crew I am going to be even more pissed.

And Meghan Gilmore? Don't get me started, she works 80 hour weeks.

Damn you Jets. Damn you.

Personally, I think Tratner should be released. He's a cancer in the conference room.

Personally, I think Tratner should be released. He's a cancer in the conference room.

You are clueless. Tratner is the only one that can control Dave Hutchinson on the conference calls. When Hutch forgets that everyone can hear what he is saying, Tratner is right there fixing the situation.

Media Relations can not be touched with this leave of absence. They are essential.

You want someone to go, talk to Marketing. Those slackers didn't realize what the PSL reaction would be. But Team Tratner is untouchable.

End of story.

You are clueless. Tratner is the only one that can control Dave Hutchinson on the conference calls. When Hutch forgets that everyone can hear what he is saying, Tratner is right there fixing the situation.

Media Relations can not be touched with this leave of absence. They are essential.

You want someone to go, talk to Marketing. Those slackers didn't realize what the PSL reaction would be. But Team Tratner is untouchable.

End of story.

Look no further than the Steelers or the Patriots. They know when to let someone go. Let's not hang on to Tratner based on his performance at the end of the 2004.

We have a young guy in Jared Winley, we hired him as Tratner's successor, and he's approaching a contract year. If we don't allow him his shot now, we're going to lose him.

We'll be stuck in the Tratner era for the next 3-4 years, and the Tratner era has produced a grand total of 0 championships. It's time to let the vet go, and move towards the future. Winley's the guy.

Look no further than the Steelers or the Patriots. They know when to let someone go. Let's not hang on to Tratner based on his performance at the end of the 2004.

We have a young guy in Jared Winley, we hired him as Tratner's successor, and he's approaching a contract year. If we don't allow him his shot now, we're going to lose him.

We'll be stuck in the Tratner era for the next 3-4 years, and the Tratner era has produced a grand total of 0 championships. It's time to let the vet go, and move towards the future. Winley's the guy.

Listen I think Winley is a star in the making. The problem is he isn't a star today. Until he learns how to spell check his media emails, he is going to be limited. Ultimately, it is up to him.

The bottom line is the Jets need a media relations guy that can help them win now. Winley may be on that level in 4 years. It is clear that he isn't on that level today.

You seem to forget about the mess that Tratner inherited. Doug Miller was parading around the league interviewing with the Steelers and the Saints. Miller left the Jets. He quit just like Belichick did.

Why isn't that an issue today? Because David Tratner saved the day. Did you know that when Tratner started the Jets interns couldn't even send out PDF files? Tratner authorized the purchase of Adobe Creator for 5 PCs and as a result the media emails are now completely locked down and can't be edited.

Doug Miller and the Saints? They are still working on 1998 technology. Because they don't have a David Tratner.

Listen I think Winley is a star in the making. The problem is he isn't a star today. Until he learns how to spell check his media emails, he is going to be limited. Ultimately, it is up to him.

The bottom line is the Jets need a media relations guy that can help them win now. Winley may be on that level in 4 years. It is clear that he isn't on that level today.

You seem to forget about the mess that Tratner inherited. Doug Miller was parading around the league interviewing with the Steelers and the Saints. Miller left the Jets. He quit just like Belichick did.

Why isn't that an issue today? Because David Tratner saved the day. Did you know that when Tratner started the Jets interns couldn't even send out PDF files? Tratner authorized the purchase of Adobe Creator for 5 PCs and as a result the media emails are now completely locked down and can't be edited.

Doug Miller and the Saints? They are still working on 1998 technology. Because they don't have a David Tratner.

We are never going to know about Winley unless we give him a shot.

Don't get me wrong, Tratner brought the Jets to a level of Media Relationships we haven't seen in a long time. But he's got a ceiling. He's got all the intangibles you mentioned, but at the end of the day, Winley, while admittedly a bit raw, has all the tools.

After Tratner's 2nd bout of carpel tunnel syndrome, his words per minute were never the same again.

Don't get me wrong, Tratner brought the Jets to a level of Media Relationships we haven't seen in a long time. But he's got a ceiling. He's got all the intangibles you mentioned, but at the end of the day, Winley, while admittedly a bit raw, has all the tools.

After Tratner's 2nd bout of carpel tunnel syndrome, his words per minute were never the same again.

I can't believe you would discuss his carpel tunnel in public. That seems like a low blow if you ask me. If Woody Johnson had purchased the ergonomic keyboards like Terry Bradway requested years ago, this wouldn't be an issue.

I think Tratner can get it done. Woody believes in him and at the end of the day that is all that matters. Someday Jared will get his shot for another team and time will tell. Until that time this is Tratner's world and we are just living in it.

For the record, this was my favorite line (bold). :rl:

I can't believe you would discuss his carpel tunnel in public. That seems like a low blow if you ask me. If Woody Johnson had purchased the ergonomic keyboards like Terry Bradway requested years ago, this wouldn't be an issue.

I think Tratner can get it done. Woody believes in him and at the end of the day that is all that matters. Someday Jared will get his shot for another team and time will tell. Until that time this is Tratner's world and we are just living in it.

His carpel tunnel was reported by every major media outlet. It was more than a rumor. It got so bad that an HR representative, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said 'He's like an egg back there'.

Do you really think Woody believes Tratner can still get it done? I'm not so sure. Keeping him around seems like more of a publicity stunt to sell PSLs. He does have name recognition.

I sure hope what you propose isn't true though, it would kill me to see J-Win in anything but green and white.

His carpel tunnel was reported by every major media outlet. It was more than a rumor. It got so bad that an HR representative, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said 'He's like an egg back there'.

Do you really think Woody believes Tratner can still get it done? I'm not so sure. Keeping him around seems like more of a publicity stunt to sell PSLs. He does have name recognition.

I sure hope what you propose isn't true though, it would kill me to see J-Win in anything but green and white.

:rl::rl::rl::rl::rl:

Alright man, I give up. You are a worthy foe.

Hopefully Tratner and Winley can use the two week vacation to work through some of the issues and come back united.

One question\comment though:

If any of the flight crew or Jenn Sterger happen to read this and need some money over the two week break, feel free to contact me I have some ideas.

:Typotux:

good fun. :headbang:

I am just glad it is over. Have to be honest, I know very little about the Jets HR department and had you taken the conversation there I was going to be totally unprepared.

You know, like the Jets on draft day.

Yup, a lot of these employees probably have a pretty light workload right now in the offseason, so all the work will get done by fewer people and the jets get to hold on to a few bucks and chalk it up to the economy. LOL. I would love to see where they are really bringing in less money this season than last. And ya know, I bet there are a few things they could cut out to find the money to pay their employees.

Yup, a lot of these employees probably have a pretty light workload right now in the offseason, so all the work will get done by fewer people and the jets get to hold on to a few bucks and chalk it up to the economy. LOL. I would love to see where they are really bringing in less money this season than last. And ya know, I bet there are a few things they could cut out to find the money to pay their employees.

Good point. How are the Jets revenues down? They are coming off one of their all time high merchandise sales years.

Oh that is right, forecasted revenues are down because of season ticket holder ticket cancellations. I forgot about that, lol. Damn Jets screwed themselves.

Seriously? Are you people that delusional?

These is a huge difference between the staff of the New York Jets organization and the putting together a team for the 2009/2010 season.

BZ

Yes. There is a huge difference. Excellent point.

Yes. There is a huge difference. Excellent point.

Sorry, got caught short on time...

The staff running the New York Jets (the company) are workers, day in and day out doing marketing, sales, etc. I am sure they do a great job, but to compare them to the salaries being spent on professional athletes who are needed to stay competitive, win games, make playoffs and bring in ticket revenue, is just missing the point.

The Jets have to field a competitive team first and foremost. If they don't everything else dies (ticket sales, marketing opportunity, PSL sales, etc). If they fire or let go some back office people, those things won't be effected.

A two week unpaid leave is MUCH better than being let go. You can plan for it, save for it and actually schedule things around it. If you are fired, you don't see it coming, there is no planning and two weeks later, you still don't have a job.

The other thing to consider is there is a player salary cap that all teams have to play by while there is no cap on organizational salaries. Meaning that every team has to stay competitive in the salary, they can over or underspend in other areas. My guess is the Jets spend much more in organizational salaries than most other NFL teams.

BZ

BZ why would you assume that the Jets spend much more in organizational costs than other teams? based on what? The Jets have to field a competitive team? they have been sold out for years regardless of their record (even with being one of the higherpriced tickets in the NFL). Hell the playoff ticket money collected last year could have paid their salaries

BZ why would you assume that the Jets spend much more in organizational costs than other teams? based on what? The Jets have to field a competitive team? they have been sold out for years regardless of their record (even with being one of the higherpriced tickets in the NFL). Hell the playoff ticket money collected last year could have paid their salaries

- Bigger media market (more expensive)

- Bigger salaries (people in NYC make more than AZ)

- Higher corp costs (real estate, taxes, transportation).

Net-net, living and working in NYC is more expensive than other places.

BZ

Archived