Perez changes mind on minors

Lil Bit Special

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archives/2009/05/perezs_changes.html#more

PHILADELPHIA -- Oliver Perez t.gif's status is up in the air now that the struggling left-hander is apparently balking at a trip to the minor leagues.

The Mets are set to take Perez's spot in the rotation away in the wake of yet another terrible start Saturday, when he allowed four runs on five hits and six walks in just 2 1/3 innings of an eventual 6-5 loss to the Phillies.

Perez, who is sporting a 9.97 ERA to go with his 1-2 record, must give his consent to a minor-league assignment because he has more than five years of major-league service time.

Perez told reporters after Saturday's disaster that he would be willing to accept a trip to the minors to work out his problems, but he backtracked today.

"I can't say yet," Perez replied when asked if he would go to the minors.

Asked why he had appeared to change his mind overnight, Perez said: "I was frustrated. Every pitcher can say that, because that was a tough day for me and I can say anything. Today, I feel a little more relaxed."

Perez also could go on the DL after suddenly announcing today that he is bothered by a sore right knee that he aggravated during Saturday's game. Jerry Manuel told reporters after today's game was officially postponed that the Mets expect to decide Perez's status Monday in Atlanta, where they are set to begin a two-game series with the Braves.

Manuel, though, all but conceded that Perez's rotation spot has been taken by saying he would be open to using Perez in relief Tuesday in Atlanta or Wednesday or Thursday against the Phillies at Citi Field.

Manuel also reiterated that he is strongly considering 40-year-old Japanese import Ken Takahashi as a starter in place of Perez after Takahashi pitched 2 2/3 innings of scoreless, one-hit relief Saturday.

The Mets pushed back their rotation due to the rainout, so Perez's spot won't come up again until Friday against the Pirates at Citi Field.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archives/2009/05/perezs_changes.html#more

PHILADELPHIA -- Oliver Perez t.gif's status is up in the air now that the struggling left-hander is apparently balking at a trip to the minor leagues.

The Mets are set to take Perez's spot in the rotation away in the wake of yet another terrible start Saturday, when he allowed four runs on five hits and six walks in just 2 1/3 innings of an eventual 6-5 loss to the Phillies.

Perez, who is sporting a 9.97 ERA to go with his 1-2 record, must give his consent to a minor-league assignment because he has more than five years of major-league service time.

Perez told reporters after Saturday's disaster that he would be willing to accept a trip to the minors to work out his problems, but he backtracked today.

"I can't say yet," Perez replied when asked if he would go to the minors.

Asked why he had appeared to change his mind overnight, Perez said: "I was frustrated. Every pitcher can say that, because that was a tough day for me and I can say anything. Today, I feel a little more relaxed."

Perez also could go on the DL after suddenly announcing today that he is bothered by a sore right knee that he aggravated during Saturday's game. Jerry Manuel told reporters after today's game was officially postponed that the Mets expect to decide Perez's status Monday in Atlanta, where they are set to begin a two-game series with the Braves.

Manuel, though, all but conceded that Perez's rotation spot has been taken by saying he would be open to using Perez in relief Tuesday in Atlanta or Wednesday or Thursday against the Phillies at Citi Field.

Manuel also reiterated that he is strongly considering 40-year-old Japanese import Ken Takahashi as a starter in place of Perez after Takahashi pitched 2 2/3 innings of scoreless, one-hit relief Saturday.

The Mets pushed back their rotation due to the rainout, so Perez's spot won't come up again until Friday against the Pirates at Citi Field.

They HAVE to take Ollie out of the rotation. I thought against a big time opponent like Philly he was going to pitch well as he has in the past. But he was bombed like usual. ;( What a waste he's been thus far this year.

Archived