Francisco Cirvelli?

JonEJet

I really like this guy. Calls a great game. Has a gun, is fast.

Is this the guy after Jorge?

He has done a nice job. I think he was the heir apparent before he got hurt in spring training last year. Let's see how his offense develops.

He's not a threat to Jorge. Montero and Romine are the two catchers of the future, and they're both in High A. Romine is the better catcher and Montero is an offensive beast. Cervelli will come down to earth, but make no mistake, I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I could see a Molina-like backup career for him though.

Not sure if any of you folks follow the Minors like I do. Ergo, I would like to chime in with a couple of comments.

As someone mentioned above, Romine is the all around Catcher with the best future to be the next long-term Yankee Catcher. Probably Major League ready for 2011. The best offensive machine by far is Montero, who has awesome power, and makes solid contact for a slugger. He may or may not end up as a Catcher. He is 19, and already a big kid. He can't afford to grow much more, or he will grow out of the Catcher's slot. But his bat will translate well into any position. He does not have the speed to be an everyday corner OF, IMO, but we shall see what develops. Right now, his Catching defense leaves something to be desired, although Girardi noted that it was vastly improved over last years ST camp.

Cervelli is similar to Girardi himself, as a Catcher. Good base-runner, solid contact hitter, not a slugger at all, excellent arm, quick release, excellent blocker of pitches in the dirt, and calls a solid game. Cat-like abilities when charging after bunts. Could start on any team the does not need offense from their Catcher, not that Cervelli will hurt them and be a .200 hitter, but he will not be a big-time run producer.

cervelli has been great so far. the pitchers love him and he makes contact - what else can you ask for a minimum $ minor leaguer?

the question is why do the yankees owe $39M to a 37 year old catcher who is breaking down before our very eyes? posada was a great yankee but why they keep paying these lifetime achievement contracts is beyond me.

cervelli has been great so far. the pitchers love him and he makes contact - what else can you ask for a minimum $ minor leaguer?

the question is why do the yankees owe $39M to a 37 year old catcher who is breaking down before our very eyes? posada was a great yankee but why they keep paying these lifetime achievement contracts is beyond me.

The really big test will be what do they do with Jeter after next season, when his contract expires. If they give him a 3 year deal, at like 18 per, they are fools. And don't give me the excuse that they want him to get his 3000th hit in a Yankee uniform, something no one else has ever done.

They'll pay Jeter......but no way does he get a similar contract

I can see 4 years 60 Million something like tht...even though he's not worth anything near that outside his marketing

jeter should give the yankees a hometown discount otherwise the yankees should let him walk. at this point jeter needs the yankees more than the yankees need jeter.

$17M for .285 10HR's 70 RBI's and mediocre defense is a joke. there was always the talk about leadership and intangibles but this team hasn't won in almost a decade. as it turns out the real 'leaders' were o'neil, martinez, williams, and brosius.

The really big test will be what do they do with Jeter after next season, when his contract expires. If they give him a 3 year deal, at like 18 per, they are fools. And don't give me the excuse that they want him to get his 3000th hit in a Yankee uniform, something no one else has ever done.

That's going to be the most awkward contract situation ever. Jeter didn't exactly take a discount last time to stay here, but maybe he'd be more willing this time. Then there's the issue of where he's going to play, with CF probably out of the question as well as first and third for sure. Does he hit enough to justify a corner OF spot? He's not going to play SS forever. But, obviously, he's beloved by almost every Yankee fan, and a bunch of them would be close to starting an uprising if he wasn't re-signed.

That's going to be the most awkward contract situation ever. Jeter didn't exactly take a discount last time to stay here, but maybe he'd be more willing this time. Then there's the issue of where he's going to play, with CF probably out of the question as well as first and third for sure. Does he hit enough to justify a corner OF spot? He's not going to play SS forever. But, obviously, he's beloved by almost every Yankee fan, and a bunch of them would be close to starting an uprising if he wasn't re-signed.

You raise several solid points. SS is out of the question for Derek in 2011, as is 3B, 1B, and probably CF (Austin Jackson). so, IMO, the best position for Derek is 2B, but Cano is signed there through 2011, or 2013, depending if the Yankees pick up the options. So, Derek can have LF, but that means no more than a 1 year deal for Damon, and that may be an issue, as I believe Damon will look for 2 years, or at least an option for the 2nd season.

And 4 years at 15 million per is way overpaying for Jeter. Closer to 10 million, especially if you go 4 years.

I saw him catch a wild pitch off the back net in spring training and tag out the runner coming from third. It was an awesome play and if theres video footage of it somewhere I would love to watch it again. I was sitting right behind the plate and couldn't believe how fast it all happened.

Archived