Lee's price too steep for Yankees

Vudu

Yanks called about Lee, but Indians' price too steep

Posted by: Jon Heyman10:32 AM ET 07.24 SHARE

The Yankees called the Indians about pitching star Cliff Lee, but the chances for a deal turned south when the Indians told them one of two fine young Yankees starters -- Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes -- would have to start the package. The Yankees are not inclined to do that for Lee.

While Lee's value is enhanced by a reasonable $9 million club option for next year, the Yankees appear to like Chamberlain and Hughes too much to consider that deal. If Roy Halladay were to become available to the Yankees, they'd more seriously consider such a request. But not for Lee.

The Phillies (the favorites for Halladay), Dodgers, Brewers and Rays are among other pursuers of Lee.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/mlb_trade_talk/posts/71363-yanks-called-about-lee-but-indians-price-too-steep?eref=si_topstories

Fine young starters? Who wrote this article, MadMike?

You wouldn't want Hughes in your bullpen?

I'm hoping this will help him put it together for the futures. As for Joba... I guess we'll see today if last start was an aberration or he is finally starting to do it.

Ok, they listened to me on this one, lets see if they'll listen to me on this next one then. I would now give Seattle a call, and ask them about either Jarrod Washburn, or Erik Bedard, because obviously neither of those 2 should be that expensive. I'd still like to get Lee, but the only player I'd trade either Hughes, or Joba for is Doc Halladay, and Lee is obviously not as good as Doc.

You wouldn't want Hughes in your bullpen?

I'm hoping this will help him put it together for the futures. As for Joba... I guess we'll see today if last start was an aberration or he is finally starting to do it.

I'd rather have Joba in my pen, and Hughes starting. But that's me.

Ok, they listened to me on this one, lets see if they'll listen to me on this next one then. I would now give Seattle a call, and ask them about either Jarrod Washburn, or Erik Bedard, because obviously neither of those 2 should be that expensive. I'd still like to get Lee, but the only player I'd trade either Hughes, or Joba for is Doc Halladay, and Lee is obviously not as good as Doc.

Disagree on both accounts.

Don't want a flyball pitcher in our new park. Bedard is A) too injury prone, no guarantees with him and B) A total dooshie. If he imploded in NY it'd be a media mess and I like our team getting away from that after the off-season.

At this point I say they look for a decent #5 guy and let's go with the people we have.

I'd rather have Joba in my pen, and Hughes starting. But that's me.

True. Either way what's good to know is that hopefully at least ONE pans out as a true starter, if both even better. If only one then at least we know we have a killer bullpen arm in there for us :)

Disagree on both accounts.

Don't want a flyball pitcher in our new park. Bedard is A) too injury prone, no guarantees with him and B) A total dooshie. If he imploded in NY it'd be a media mess and I like our team getting away from that after the off-season.

At this point I say they look for a decent #5 guy and let's go with the people we have.

They're cheap though, I guarantee none of them will or should cost Joba, Hughes, Jackson, or Montero, and probably not Romine either.

Washburn might be really cheap. This being said, Cliff Lee is still one of my first choices behind Doc Halladay, but only if the Yanks can get them to lower their price tag for him.

They're cheap though, I guarantee none of them will or should cost Joba, Hughes, Jackson, or Montero, and probably not Romine either.

Washburn might be really cheap.

M's are back 5 1/2, unless they go into a tailspin, they ain't selling. And if they aren't LOOKING to sell you need to make an offer they can't refuse.

Yeah, I'm sort of hoping they would take something like this:

OF Austin Jackson

C Austin Romine

SP Zach McAlister

for Cliff Lee

No. I don't want to give up Jackson. Our minors are depleted of talented everyday players. We need to keep Jackson, Montero and Romine. That's why I don't think we have the much fire power to make a big splash.

#5 pitchers/reliever, that's what I see us doing.

M's are back 5 1/2, unless they go into a tailspin, they ain't selling. And if they aren't LOOKING to sell you need to make an offer they can't refuse.

Seattle's record says that they're a serious playoff contender, but they're really not. They don't have the team to keep up with either the Angels, or the Rangers. So basically they're setting themselves up for about an 85 win season, and 3rd place in the American League West.

No. I don't want to give up Jackson. Our minors are depleted of talented everyday players. We need to keep Jackson, Montero and Romine. That's why I don't think we have the much fire power to make a big splash.

#5 pitchers/reliever, that's what I see us doing.

If we're looking for a #5 starting pitcher, we're just better off keeping Sergio Mitre as a starter.

Seattle's record says that they're a serious playoff contender, but they're really not. They don't have the team to keep up with either the Angels, or the Rangers. So basically they're setting themselves up for about an 85 win season, and 3rd place in the American League West.

But they think they can make it, which at this point you aren't going to convince them otherwise. Trust me I live in this area and the team, management, fans all believe they make the playoffs this year. They're fools, but nonetheless that's the belief.

As for Mitre- he hasn't pitched in the majors in how long? He gave us a meh, start and we don't really know what we'll get out of him. He was brought up as a stop gap for Wang who know seems to be out for an extended period of time. I'd think that Cashman would want someone a tad more reliable or someone with a resume rather then throwing out a wild card at the #5 spot. Just my opinion.

But they think they can make it, which at this point you aren't going to convince them otherwise. Trust me I live in this area and the team, management, fans all believe they make the playoffs this year. They're fools, but nonetheless that's the belief.

As for Mitre- he hasn't pitched in the majors in how long? He gave us a meh, start and we don't really know what we'll get out of him. He was brought up as a stop gap for Wang who know seems to be out for an extended period of time. I'd think that Cashman would want someone a tad more reliable or someone with a resume rather then throwing out a wild card at the #5 spot. Just my opinion.

I'm just saying if Cleveland says they would do Austin Jackson, Austin Romine, and Zach McAlister why would anybody associated with the Yankees not accept that. I like Austin Jackson, but he only has 4 home runs right now, and I expected a guy similar to Cano's power, able to get around 20 a year, I don't know if he could do that anymore.

Plus you still have to give something to get something in return, hence why I've got Austin Romine in there, but I still have the Yankees refusing to add Jesus Montero.

Basically by doing a trade like this you're able to keep Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Jesus Montero. The three young players who should be the ones you want to keep most on this team.

Plus Holliday, and Crawford are free agents when the season ends, so we could look into one of them as well.

Plus this is your rotation if you would do a deal like that:

CC

Lee

Burnett

Andy

Joba

I'm just saying if Cleveland says they would do Austin Jackson, Austin Romine, and Zach McAlister why would anybody associated with the Yankees not accept that. I like Austin Jackson, but he only has 4 home runs right now, and I expected a guy similar to Cano's power, able to get around 20 a year, I don't know if he could do that anymore.

Plus you still have to give something to get something in return, hence why I've got Austin Romine in there, but I still have the Yankees refusing to add Jesus Montero.

Basically by doing a trade like this you're able to keep Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Jesus Montero. The three young players who should be the ones you want to keep most on this team.

Plus Holliday, and Crawford are free agents when the season ends, so we could look into one of them as well.

Fair enough. I just don't like handing over lots of good young talent for a pitcher who has been up and down. Yes I know he has a Cy Young. I feel like we did that with Pavano, Brown and Wright and it was tough with those guys in the rotation. But I'm not a GM.

Yea...no.

I don't think McAlister is going to amount to anything. There is a very good chance that Austin Jackson's outcome could be similar to someone like Milton Bradley at best, and Romine I think is the best player out of this deal, but we've got Montero, and Cervelli so what's the use in having him unless he turns into as good a hitter as Montero could be?

Lets be honest here, if we don't get someone like Cliff Lee this team doesn't have a chance to win it all.

I don't think McAlister is going to amount to anything. There is a very good chance that Austin Jackson's outcome could be similar to someone like Milton Bradley at best, and Romine I think is the best player out of this deal, but we've got Montero, and Cervelli so what's the use in having him unless he turns into as good a hitter as Montero could be?

Lets be honest here, if we don't get someone like Cliff Lee this team doesn't have a chance to win it all.

I completely disagree.

I completely disagree.

You feel confident at the possibility facing Verlander, and Edwin Jackson in the playoffs? I know we beat them recently, but I don't have any confidence facing them.

Tampa has all these young pitchers, with playoff success now, so who knows with them.

Boston has Beckett, and Lester. Need I say more?

I think it's pretty obvious if we face Angels, it would be time to just forfeit the series.

There are really only two teams we should have confidence in beating in the postseason. Texas, and Chicago. Which is why we need to make a trade especially since Wang's season is basically done.

Not to mention Burnett has an injury history, who knows if he'll even finish this season. Andy Pettitte still isn't the same guy he used to be, and if he pitches horrible tomorrow, and if Joba goes back to the way he was pitching before this last start, you guys would still say we are fine with the rotation we've got? Sure the rotation is fantastic now, but how long will it last?

You feel confident at the possibility facing Verlander, and Edwin Jackson in the playoffs? I know we beat them recently, but I don't have any confidence facing them.

Tampa has all these young pitchers, with playoff success now, so who knows with them.

Boston has Beckett, and Lester. Need I say more?

I think it's pretty obvious if we face Angels, it would be time to just forfeit the series.

There are really only two teams we should have confidence in beating in the postseason. Texas, and Chicago. Which is why we need to make a trade especially since Wang's season is basically done.

Not to mention Burnett has an injury history, who knows if he'll even finish this season. Andy Pettitte still isn't the same guy he used to be, and if he pitches horrible tomorrow, and if Joba goes back to the way he was pitching before this last start, you guys would still say we are fine with the rotation we've got?

You don't feel any confidence getting out of bed in the morning. You are the least confident fan I have ever come across. They have the best record in the AL and the second best in baseball. I'd say they have a fighting chance even if they stand pat.

You don't feel any confidence getting out of bed in the morning. You are the least confident fan I have ever come across. They have the best record in the AL and the second best in baseball. I'd say they have a fighting chance even if they stand pat.

:yes:

Our pitching staff is fine.

And, with the way they've been pitching lately, do you really think teams will line up to face CC & AJ? They are a pretty scary 1-2 punch, both with good Playoff experience.

There is no doubt in my mind that they should and will make the playoffs, but I don't know about success in the playoffs when you've got to face the likes of Verlander, Beckett, Lester, and Edwin Jackson.

McAllister is posting the best FIP in the Eastern League; but I agree, his ceiling is probably as a #3 starter. AJax is currently the Youngest player in the International League and posting a .828 OPS. An "outcome similar to Milton Bradley" is highly desirable minus the injuries. Romine has posted 11 homeruns this season in high A and is regarded as the organization's catcher of the future should Montero's defensive deficiencies be too much to overcome.

Cervelli is going to be a career backup, and is overrated by a lot of Yankee fans.

You don't give up 3 of the of the top 5 prospects in the organization for a year and half rental for Lee.

Also prognosticating that this team has no chance in winning in the offseason is stupid. The playoffs are completely random. Whether or not we add another front line starter does not guarantee us getting past the first round of a 5 game series.

There is no doubt in my mind that they should and will make the playoffs, but I don't know about success in the playoffs when you've got to face the likes of Verlander, Beckett, Lester, and Edwin Jackson.

Because you are a nervous Nelly. There is a ton of season left and anything could happen. Wang could return and return to form, everybody could get hurt. The Sox could turn it back on. If you can improve the team with a smart deal fine, but you don't panic because you aren't sure they will win in the playoffs. You'll never be sure. They've had all-stars at every position and managed to lose. They've also won with teams that you might have thought had less talent.

:yes:

Our pitching staff is fine.

And, with the way they've been pitching lately, do you really think teams will line up to face CC & AJ? They are a pretty scary 1-2 punch, both with good Playoff experience.

A.J. Burnett has never been in the playoffs. In 2003 when the Florida Marlins won the World Series, Burnett was injured.

Yeah, and CC Sabathia has been amazing in the playoffs for sure. Him and his nice 7.92 ERA in the postseason... LOL

How can anyone say we are fine with our rotation, especially with CMW most likely done for the year?

Archived