A bizarre quarterback history

Smizzy

A

bizarre quarterback history

By Jerry Eskenazi

Special to NFL.com

(Sept. 30, 2005) -- Losing two quarterbacks within a few plays in the same game merely continues an odd -- long-time New York Jets fans might even call it bizarre -- tradition at the position. But at least the shoulder injuries to Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler, in the Sept. 25 loss to Jacksonville, came in a game. Consider these other situations that afflicted Jets quarterbacks over the years:

*Joe Namath tore a hamstring while water-skiing in the Bahamas. While his contract prohibited sky-diving, it never imagined the more benign offseason activity of water-skiing. However, a tow-rope broke and so did his "hammy," as players call it. That injury, before the 1974 season, effectively heralded the beginning of the end of Joe's career. He wound up with a herniation "the size of a grapefruit," said the team trainer, and never approached even the limited mobility of his earlier years. In his final three Jets seasons, he tossed 66 interceptions to 39 touchdowns, and his 20 carries over the span netted all of 12 yards. Because of his more noted knee operations, fans just assumed they had taken their toll. After all, how many quarterbacks get sacked on water skis?

*Matt Robinson beat out Richard Todd as the starter before the 1979 season. The Jets were looking forward to the mustachioed Robinson's riverboat-gambler ways. He loved to throw long. But a few days before the opening game, Robinson was wrist-wrestling with teammate Bobby Jones -- and suffered a sprained right thumb. But Robinson hid the details of the injury from coach Walt Michaels, telling him he hurt the thumb "reaching for a doorknob." His weakened thumb prevented him from throwing long, and his underthrown pass was intercepted in overtime and the Jets lost to Cleveland. Michaels was furious when he learned what really had happened to Robinson. He never permitted Robinson to throw another pass for the Jets -- not even to come in and mop up for Todd.

*Richard Todd was watching television in his darkened Long Island condo late in the 1980 season, when the phone rang. He left his chair to answer it and, in the dark, broke his little toe. The toe was splinted and he was able to practice. After the practice, I noticed he was limping. "Still bother you?" I asked. "No," he said. "You're not going to believe this, but one of my teammates stepped on the other little toe." He laughed, ruefully. He wound up wearing splints on both little toes, but was able to play.

*Neil O'Donnell attempted to come back following a separated-shoulder injury during the Jets' 1-15 season of 1996. He had missed six games. As he warmed up at the Meadowlands, he took a mis-step on the word "Jets" on the painted artificial turf and winced. "I thought someone in the stands threw a ball at me," he was to say later about the pain. No one had thrown anything. He had pulled a muscle in his right calf, ending the rest of his season. There wouldn't have been anyone to throw at him, in any event. The Jets set a league record by generating 55,985 no-shows for the game against the Oilers

Speaking of QB's in Jets history, does anybody remember this obscure QB from the mid 1970's?

JjJets1.jpg

I hadn't started watching football when J.J Jones played in 1975, so I had no idea who he was, but I was a little suprised when I saw his football card a while back.

Jets, actually, where one of the first teams in NFL history to play a black quarterback and he's completely forgotten?

Maybe Cannizarro or some other scribe will read this and start a Sunday feature story: What ever happened to J.J Jones? :lol:

Ouch, that's an ugly completion percentage: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/JoneJ.00.htm

JJ's career stat line...are you ready for this...

1975 NY Jets 7 games played, 16 comp, 57 atts,

28.1 pct, 181 yds, 1 td, 5 ints

the scary thing is I remember this guy, how is that possible??

he was a better runner, 9 carries, 59 yds.

:shock: youre old dude...lol..J/K

Jetswin, a closer/clearer shot at the card shows him playing against the then St.Louis Cardinals....Looking it up on the same site that has his stats, it claims the Jets lost by 31 that day in 1975.

Here's a question: Was Lou Holtz the Jets coach that brought Jones in 1975 or did he come in 1976?

Just by looking at Holtz's college backround, I can't ever remember him recruiting any QB's other than black QB's.

Jetswin, a closer/clearer shot at the card shows him playing against the then St.Louis Cardinals....Looking it up on the same site that has his stats, it claims the Jets lost by 31 that day in 1975.

Here's a question: Was Lou Holtz the Jets coach that brought Jones in 1975 or did he come in 1976?

Just by looking at Holtz's college backround, I can't ever remember him recruiting any QB's other than black QB's.

I thought it might be the Pats in that picture, it looks like red socks, the helmet doesn't help. Not sure about Holtz, but I found out JJ spent some time with the Calgary Stampeders after his stint with the Jets.

Thanks for the info JW, just looked it up: Holtz was 1976 (3-11 record0, so there goes that theory.

Nice info on J.J going to Calgary, I would've never know that....

J.J Jones is a real tough yahoo, ect. search because his last name is so common and the Jets must've had a about 50 "Jones" in their history.

Picture could be the Patriots, but I've seen the Card close up and it look more like the Cards -- Makes sense, too, considering the Jets lost by 31 that day.

BTY, the NFL would not allow logo's to shown on Topps cards until maybe 1981, so Topps would air brush out the helmets and uniforms on their few action shots.

Thanks for the info JW, just looked it up: Holtz was 1976 (3-11 record0, so there goes that theory.

Nice info on J.J going to Calgary, I would've never know that....

J.J Jones is a real tough yahoo, ect. search because his last name is so common and the Jets must've had a about 50 "Jones" in their history.

Picture could be the Patriots, but I've seen the Card close up and it look more like the Cards -- Makes sense, too, considering the Jets lost by 31 that day.

BTY, the NFL would not allow logo's to shown on Topps cards until maybe 1981, so Topps would air brush out the helmets and uniforms on their few action shots.

google John Eddie J.J. Jones...he's businessman out west now

• 2 years later...
Speaking of QB's in Jets history, does anybody remember this obscure QB from the mid 1970's?

JjJets1.jpg

I hadn't started watching football when J.J Jones played in 1975, so I had no idea who he was, but I was a little suprised when I saw his football card a while back.

Jets, actually, where one of the first teams in NFL history to play a black quarterback and he's completely forgotten?

Maybe Cannizarro or some other scribe will read this and start a Sunday feature story: What ever happened to J.J Jones? :lol:

Ouch, that's an ugly completion percentage: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/JoneJ.00.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: The Answer to "Where Is J. J. Jones Now?"

Thank you JetNation.com for the interest that has been taken to find out what happened to John "J.J." Jones. I am alive and well and still involved in minority business and community development activities around the world, as you can see from the news and information attachments below found at my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee

JJ Answer to Where Is J.J. Jones Now.txt

• 1 year later...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: The Answer to "Where Is J. J. Jones Now?"

Thank you JetNation.com for the interest that has been taken to find out what happened to John "J.J." Jones. I am alive and well and still involved in minority business and community development activities around the world, as you can see from the news and information attachments below found at my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee

What a guy that Lou Holtz is. :puke2: I remember a HS kid field goal kicker who was torn between ND ( Holtz was HC there) and Florida State. The kids dad went to ND so the odds were in Holtz's favour. Well the kid decided to follow his heart and go to Florida State. He personnally called Holtz to tell him. What does Holtz do ? He tells the kid that he hopes he breaks both his legs and never kicks again. What a guy that Lou Holtz is. :puke2:

woody hayes was same way

when a kid from my HS went to harvard instead of OSU

he called him a dumb n*****

Archived