spring training info please

joebabyny

Ok, gotta admit, not as big a baseball fan as football, so i need some info. Whats the deal with spring training? I know they play games, but can you go to watch practice and stuff like you can go to football training camp? Anyone gone to spring training before or planning to this year? The stadium in tampa looks cool, anyone been there and have some good info?

Ok, gotta admit, not as big a baseball fan as football, so i need some info. Whats the deal with spring training? I know they play games, but can you go to watch practice and stuff like you can go to football training camp? Anyone gone to spring training before or planning to this year? The stadium in tampa looks cool, anyone been there and have some good info?

I'm not sure about practices, because that would be pretty frickin' boring. However, the stadium in Tampa is pretty sweet, good luck getting tickets though. My favorite stadium around is the Phillies stadium in Clearwater. There's a sweet tiki bar in left field, and it's just a good time all around.

Once the games start, you'll be able to find games to go to within an hour of Tampa every day.

I'm not sure about practices, because that would be pretty frickin' boring. However, the stadium in Tampa is pretty sweet, good luck getting tickets though. My favorite stadium around is the Phillies stadium in Clearwater. There's a sweet tiki bar in left field, and it's just a good time all around.

Once the games start, you'll be able to find games to go to within an hour of Tampa every day.

so then going down to check out spring training really just entails the actual games?

Gonna buy some tix. The tampa tribune deck looks cool, any experience with the stadium and that section? Was thinking of just buying up a whole table (8 seats) and tying to get a group together. Thoughts?

Before the games start they usually have open practices.

Once the games start the regular players dont usually participate in too many practices.

Games start March 2nd. Pitchers and catchers report Feb 17th.

I would recommend going to games. Its a lot of fun (to be honest, I really enjoy watching the no-names and rookies play as much as the regulars)

here's the site I use normally to get my spring training info:

http://www.springtrainingonline.com/

They have a lot of info. And there are lots of stadiums to visit around the Tampa area.

so then going down to check out spring training really just entails the actual games?

Gonna buy some tix. The tampa tribune deck looks cool, any experience with the stadium and that section? Was thinking of just buying up a whole table (8 seats) and tying to get a group together. Thoughts?

Yeah, just the games. It's not like they're trying to install a new offense or anything.

I hung out on that deck for a game or two, my friends and I just left our seats and hung out at the bar. Getting a table sounds like a blast.

Vero Beach is a dump

Mckechnie (sp) field in Bradenton is a dump

Tampa is beautiful. I went down there a few years ago and I think they may have charged me $5 to get in and watch a practice.

yeah i can't imagine practice would be fun to watch anyway....unless you wanna watch an infielder take 100 groundballs a batter practice taking pitches to the opposite field and stupid sh*t like that.

I actually enjoyed practices more then the games the last few years when I was in Tampa. If you could, do both.

Players interact with the fans more while practicing, and you can walk around the whole complex and see different drills and stuff. You can stand around the Bullpen pit at watch the pitchers, stuff like that.

If you're not a huge fan, you might not be interested in any of that stuff though.

I honestly think the best thing to go to is the intersqaud scrimmage they have just before the games start. You get to see the whole team go against each other, and see some of the young talent in the minors play with the big stars. All while being coached by former yankee greats(usually).

Some cool pitching match up too that you usually don't see.

Archived