Leonhard sounds off on Rhodes comments

F.Chowds

:Typotux:

When S Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cardinals, he delivered some parting shots, saying he felt the Jets' coaching staff usurped his leadership responsibilities by giving the play-calling responsibilities on defense to former Raven players -- i.e. S Jim Leonhard. Rhodes called it "a slap in the face," suggesting it hampered his ability to make plays.

Leonhard, addressing the matter today for the first time, said the coaching staff was actually trying to help Rhodes and that he took it the wrong way.

"They wanted to take some of the load off Kerry's shoulders," Leonhard told me during the first open locker-room session for media. "He didn't need to shoulder as much of the burden as he did in the past. I think they thought that would free him up to concentrate on making plays. Apparently, he took it the wrong way. They weren't trying to slight him at all. They were trying to make it easier for him."

We all know how it worked out. Rhodes didn't make any big plays over the first 10 weeks and was temporarily demoted. When he returned to the starting lineup, he finally started to deliver impact plays -- but not enough to keep him around.

Rhodes' post-trade comments came off as selfish, considering the Jets finished No. 1 in overall defense. Leonhard didn't want to label Rhodes that way, but he ackowledged, "He was hurt. I understand how he felt. He didn't leave here on the terms he would've liked. I have no hard feelings toward him, but I just know the coaching staff wasn't trying to take anything away from him. They were trying to make him a better player and he took it the wrong way."

The Jets signed former Browns S Brodney Pool, the leading candidate to replace Rhodes.

Recently-acquired CB Antonio Cromartie addressed his $500,000 salary advance for the first time, claiming he didn't request the money from the Jets. If you recall, the former Charger received 500K on his $1.7 million base salary, money he used to pay off child-support debts. Cromartie is a 7-6-5 player -- seven children from six different women, living in five states.

"There was no request to them at all," Cromartie said. "They wanted me to get my off-the-field issues settled, and it's done. That was the biggest thing for me in order to focus the way I want to focus and to play the way I want to play. It was a blessing for me."

Cromartie said he's loving life with the Jets and looking forward to pairing with Darrelle Revis at cornerback. Basically, he's glad to be out of San Diego.

"Was I unhappy? Yes," he said, looking back on his four seasons with the Chargers. "There were some things going on in-house that I really didn't like."

NT Kris Jenkins, who missed most of last season because of major knee surgery, was in good spirits, reporting that his rehab is on schedule. Jenkins said he's "doing what everybody else does" in the off-season program, although his work outs are being closely monitored.

Asked to put a percentage on his current physical condition, Jenkins cracked, "Just say 77." That, of course, is his uniform number.

"I know I'll be good to go," said Jenkins, predicting that he might be a better player than he was in 2008 -- the year he dominated for the first 11 games.

LG Alan Faneca is preparing for a big fundraiser next week, which explains all the Jets memorabilia in front of his locker. Faneca is raising money in his fight against epilepsy, which he battled as a child. He's hosting an event April 11, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Hanover Marriott in Whippany, N.J. Several Jets, including Mark Sanchez and Nick Mangold, are expected to attend

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/04/leonhard-sounds-off-on-rhodes.html#ixzz0jrZYezds

Ok, I wouldn't necessarily give him such a hard time, even with all of his stay-puft softness but he puts his foot in his mouth consistently.

What exactly does Carrie Rhodes want from football? We know Carrie wants to act but what does he want from football? Can you tell me? Because I can't figure it out.

In New York, he had:

1) Good salary (or ability to get good salary)

2) Great defense, ability to play alongside the best cornerback in the league

3) Team with tremendous upside

4) One of the funniest, most personable coaches in the league

5) The spotlight of Broadway to bolster his post-football acting career

6) Perfect scheme to make plays

So what did you want, Carrie?? :confused:

Ok, I wouldn't necessarily give him such a hard time, even with all of his stay-puft softness but he puts his foot in his mouth consistently.

What exactly does Carrie Rhodes want from football? We know Carrie wants to act but what does he want from football? Can you tell me? Because I can't figure it out.

In New York, he had:

1) Good salary (or ability to get good salary)

2) Great defense, ability to play alongside the best cornerback in the league

3) Team with tremendous upside

4) One of the funniest, most personable coaches in the league

5) The spotlight of Broadway to bolster his post-football acting career

6) Perfect scheme to make plays

So what did you want, Carrie?? :confused:

Worship?

Archived