All Time Team

SenorGato

I'd have gone Butch Wynegar, but good enough.

I'd go Mark Salas...Skinner had a cannon behind the plate. Threw out something like 46% one year.

1B - Kevin Maas

2B - Randy Velarde

SS - Andre Robertson

3B - Mike Pagliarulo

RF - Jay Buhner

CF - Roberto Kelly

LF - Dan Pasqua

DH - Shane Spencer

Rotation:

Jose Rijos

Doug Drabek

Bob Tewksbury

Bob Wickman

Sam Militello

RP:

Dave Righetti

Some fun names in here. Mike Pags was always my 2nd favorite Yankee behind Mattingly because I played 3B and the dude always loved gettin' dirty down there...underrated defensive 3B IMO. I thought Roberto Kelly was going to be a HOF type player. Nearly won a batting title one year and was hitting something like .345 at the ASB. Best player on some really bad Yankee teams.

Militello...I sat in the RF bleachers for his ML debut when I was 12 or 13 years old and he beat the Red Sox if I remember correctly.

fine, except for the Ryan part

Mathewson, Grove, Feller, Alexander, Gibson, Marichal, the other Johnson (it is unclear whether the Johnson you chose is Walter or Randy), Cy Young, Spahn, Maddux, and Carlton would all be better choices than Ryan.

i know ryan is a controversial pick. but i like him enough to put him on my all-time rotation. 7 no-hitters and countless more 1hitters and 2-hitters. yeah he walked alot sometimes and his overall numbers may not say he deserves the spot but the guy was as dominant as any pitcher to ever play the game. i understand the criticism but he's one of the 5 i would pick. oh and its walter johnson.

1B - Kevin Maas

2B - Randy Velarde

SS - Andre Robertson

3B - Mike Pagliarulo

RF - Jay Buhner

CF - Roberto Kelly

LF - Dan Pasqua

DH - Shane Spencer

Rotation:

Jose Rijos

Doug Drabek

Bob Tewksbury

Bob Wickman

Sam Militello

RP:

Dave Righetti

Tonight we're gonna party like's it's 1989!

Couple things:

Morgan was a far better defensive 2B. Hornsby didn't care much for D.

Hornsby played in a far more high scoring environment than Morgan did.

Morgan was a better baserunner.

Morgan was a better base stealer.

Hornsby was a really unlikeable dude. I'd take Collins over Hornsby too...Nothing I've read about Hornsby makes me like him enough to want him on my all time team, and there's 4-5 guys I wouldn't mind taking over him at his position (Morgan, Collins, Robinson, Lajoie, and Biggio). I don't mind swapping some bat for a more complete game and a better attitude.

I'd also like to change my C to Josh Gibson, because Josh Gibson is one of the true legends of the game.

Mays vs. Mantle is a long one...I should just make it even and pick Cobb, who personally doesn't bother me as much as Hornsby...Cobb actually was a pretty good coach for a few guys while Hornsby just lived his whole life being considered a prick within baseball.

Might consider Biggio or possibly Utley over Morgan.And as to defense, if that's why you pick Morgan, 2B has a way easier throw and most 2bs were SSs or 3bs who coulnd't make the throws.

Plus Morgan is a dick.Hornsby might have peed in the shower, but Morgan ruins every game he telecasts by babbling on about the greatness of the Big Red Machine, that dynasty that got trashed by the 1973 barely .500 Mets. They had almost no pitching.

How do you pick Bonds over Mays(CF LF who cares?), or Clemens over Koufax?

Might consider Biggio or possibly Utley over Morgan.And as to defense, if that's why you pick Morgan, 2B has a way easier throw and most 2bs were SSs or 3bs who coulnd't make the throws.

Plus Morgan is a dick.Hornsby might have peed in the shower, but Morgan ruins every game he telecasts by babbling on about the greatness of the Big Red Machine, that dynasty that got trashed by the 1973 barely .500 Mets. They had almost no pitching.

How do you pick Bonds over Mays(CF LF who cares?), or Clemens over Koufax?

...Utley? Maybe in another 5-6 years. Biggio is one of my all time favorites, and the best 2B I ever got to see play so I'd probably take him over Joe.

Morgan's post-baseball career showed him to be an arrogant a-hole who takes himself seriously, but as a player I really have trouble putting almost any 2B over him. Hornsby did a whole helluvalot more than piss in the show...Also, the Reds pitching has nothing to do with anything here.

I take Bonds because I think Bonds is one of the 3 best players in history. For serious.

Clemens over Koufax is easy as hell...I think there's a good argument that Clemens is the best pitcher ever, and certainly the best pitcher since WW2.

1B - Toby Whitewood

2B - Jose Agilar

SS - Tanner Boyle

3B - Jimmy Feldman

RF - Timmy Lupus

CF - Ahmad Abdul-Rahim

LF - Kelly Leak

DH - Mike Engelberg

Rotation:

Joey Turner

Amanda Whurlizer

RP:

Rudi Stein

Don't forget Buttermaker as the manager.

...Utley? Maybe in another 5-6 years. Biggio is one of my all time favorites, and the best 2B I ever got to see play so I'd probably take him over Joe.

Morgan's post-baseball career showed him to be an arrogant a-hole who takes himself seriously, but as a player I really have trouble putting almost any 2B over him. Hornsby did a whole helluvalot more than piss in the show...Also, the Reds pitching has nothing to do with anything here.

I take Bonds because I think Bonds is one of the 3 best players in history. For serious.

Clemens over Koufax is easy as hell...I think there's a good argument that Clemens is the best pitcher ever, and certainly the best pitcher since WW2.

clemens is a bonafide steroid injecting cheater.....he doesn't get on any all-time teams. he's a pos imo. how does pedro get omitted though? he had maybe the most dominant stretch a pitcher has ever had and he did it in the al east during the steroids era.

clemens is a bonafide steroid injecting cheater.
According to some high estimates from players during his era...so were half+ the other players in the league (the real high est. being 80% by Canseco).

I don't penalize guys for steroids use...

Agree that Clemens has had a tremenodus career. But you cannot discount the roid factor. Same with Barry.

Koufax had a 6 year stretch of dominance that has never and probably never will be matched.

Morgan might very well be worthy. Cannot stand his act, and admit that's a bias against him. Byt the same token think Mantle gets a Yankee bias in his favor over Mays and Aaron that probably is not deserved. As with Koufax Mantle was more dominant over a shorter stretch, yet Aaron and Mays had much longer and still very productive careers. Suspect Mays gets short shrift because many people's last memory of him is dropping a fly ball in the 1973 Series with the Mets.

Koufax had a 6 year stretch of dominance that has never and probably never will be matched.

Pedro from '97-'03 > Sandy Koufax from '61-'66

Pedro pitched in a steroid/offensive/HR era in a hitters park in a top division and dominated. I'm a huge Koufax fan.

Morgan might very well be worthy. Cannot stand his act, and admit that's a bias against him. Byt the same token think Mantle gets a Yankee bias in his favor over Mays and Aaron that probably is not deserved. As with Koufax Mantle was more dominant over a shorter stretch, yet Aaron and Mays had much longer and still very productive careers. Suspect Mays gets short shrift because many people's last memory of him is dropping a fly ball in the 1973 Series with the Mets.
Mays is the best CF of all time. Mantle is just a personal favorite. He's top 3 anyway.

Archived