Greg Inglis: A Hidden Gem?

flgreen

Greg Inglis: A Hidden Gem?

Posted on May 24th, 2010 by E. Weeks

greg_inglis_wideweb__470x296,0.jpg

You may be scratching your head wondering who in the world is this guy. I was just as puzzled as you were however after doing some homework I found that this rugby star is someone you might want to get acquainted with considering he could be a potential steal for any team that is able to aquire his services. Enter the Jets who have hopped aboard the Inglis train and are vying for the Melbourne Storm product.

NRL star Greg Inglis has attracted interest from another money-loaded club but this time it

If Inglis impressed enough to earn a contract through trials, he would likely be able to ink a deal worth almost $2 million a year.

Is that Australian dollars? I'm not familiar with the exchange rate, but I can't see this guy coming to the NFL for much more than the league minimum.

Is that Australian dollars? I'm not familiar with the exchange rate, but I can't see this guy coming to the NFL for much more than the league minimum.

I thought the same thing when I read it. That would be an awful lot for what ever he would be

if gholston had trouble learning OLB, I'm not ready to give this guy 6 years to learn on the job

oh, and he's slow. don't forget those are rugby players in the video, not elite NFL special teamers

pass

Inglis size/speed ratio is excellent, he'd probably time out in the 4.4's ( believe it or not world class rugby is not that much slower than NFL football)... as a pass rush only LB or punt gunner, he could be a gem. punt returning is a suicide mission for all but the spriest of humans, 6'5" is a huge target to hit.

but this is not likely... end of the day these guys use the NFL as leverage and never leave their home lands

I never saw the appeal of these moves... from the Aussie perspective.

a guy is a star at one sport, playing it since childhood, with his friends and family around him... why would he travel 13 hours away by plane to start over in another situation? by himself? It would have to be alot more money.

Maybe the Jets know something about Inglis that makes him more likely to bolt. But most guys don't just abandon their homeland and home sports where they are champions to join the NFL.

It's fun to think about tho.

Inglis size/speed ratio is excellent, he'd probably time out in the 4.4's ( believe it or not world class rugby is not that much slower than NFL football)... as a pass rush only LB or punt gunner, he could be a gem. punt returning is a suicide mission for all but the spriest of humans, 6'5" is a huge target to hit.

but this is not likely... end of the day these guys use the NFL as leverage and never leave their home lands

I never saw the appeal of these moves... from the Aussie perspective.

a guy is a star at one sport, playing it since childhood, with his friends and family around him... why would he travel 13 hours away by plane to start over in another situation? by himself? It would have to be alot more money.

$$ ;)

I think Manish reported yesterday that the Jets don't have any real interest in him.

He did, but in Tannenbaum speak that could mean they are flying him in tomorrow.

As far as why he would come here, couple of good reasons. First is that the money in the NFL is MUCH more then in Australia, Second, the kid is 23 years old. He might just want to get out of Australia. When I was 23 I wanted to be anywhere except my home town. We are talking about NYC here compared to the

He did, but in Tannenbaum speak that could mean they are flying him in tomorrow.

As far as why he would come here, couple of good reasons. First is that the money in the NFL is MUCH more then in Australia, Second, the kid is 23 years old. He might just want to get out of Australia. When I was 23 I wanted to be anywhere except my home town. We are talking about NYC here compared to the “Outback”.

I know he probably doesn’t live in the Outback, but still this is NY

Australia and its bordering beaches have about two-thirds of the most dangerous animals in the world. I don't blame him for wanting out either.

I can understand doing that for trade negotiations and possible FAs, but this guy is a rugby player on the other side of the planet. I doubt Tanny is terribly worried about Belichick stealing this guy away.

As far as the possibility of Inglis wanting to get out of Oz... the guy is on the verge of becoming a golden god in his home country. I don't understand why he would be itching to emigrate. Money? Possibly. But how much scratch can you pay a guy that has never played the sport?

Archived