Dungy weighs in against NY SB, inconsistent overtime

Gainzo

This guy has no clue. Is he still pissed his Colts teams couldn't win in New England in the playoffs?

Count Super Bowl-winning coach Tony Dungy among those who don't like the idea of playing the Super Bowl in the cold.

"You get to a Super Bowl and you want to put your best foot forward," Dungy said today on The Dan Patrick Show. "If you win the game or you lose the game you don't want it to be because of weather conditions."

Dungy has first-hand experience dealing with weather at the Super Bowl. The only Super Bowl that has been played in significant rain was Super Bowl XLI, which Dungy's Colts won.

"We dealt with some rain in Miami and it happens -- it's something coaches deal with -- but I just think New York in February, you know there's going to be some weather issues."

Dungy also questioned the league's decision not to vote on modifying overtime for the regular season, as it has already done for the playoffs.

"If it's a bad rule in the regular season it's a bad rule in the playoffs," Dungy said. "I, for one, would not want to have the first time I had to make those decisions as a coach be in a playoff game or possibly the Super Bowl."

The only thing I can say is this... Having the SuperBowl in warm-climate cities is almost always going to bring a huge amount of tourist revenue to an otherwise struggling city that could use the money... a problem NY certainly doesn't have.

That said. I believe whole-heartedly in all-climate football. I'd love to see a snowy SB personally... and as a native NY'er... I'd love to see it.

So tough luck poor cities. Maybe next time.

He's a Tampa guy. I've spoken to a few people down there about it, they're not exactly happy about it. Its like they live for this.

True. But he & Polian built a team in Indy that played 8 games a year in a dome, 1 in a Stadium with a retractable roof (Houston), and another in North Florida (Jacksonville). Nashville isn't that bad either when it comes to the weather.

All those Colts teams relied on big time scoring (not an issue with Peyton) and fast, undersized guys on D.

Dungy should STFU!

The only thing I can say is this... Having the SuperBowl in warm-climate cities is almost always going to bring a huge amount of tourist revenue to an otherwise struggling city that could use the money... a problem NY certainly doesn't have.

That said. I believe whole-heartedly in all-climate football. I'd love to see a snowy SB personally... and as a native NY'er... I'd love to see it.

So tough luck poor cities. Maybe next time.

Maybe Miami should spend a little money upgrading that stadium. I mean you end up parking in a mud hole-why don't they spend some of that revenue on some frickin tar-and some rent-a-cops to direct traffic? It's a 20 dollar bill from every one of the tens of thousands of cars every game-every year, I mean COME ON

Maybe Miami should spend a little money upgrading that stadium. I mean you end up parking in a mud hole-why don't they spend some of that revenue on some frickin tar-and some rent-a-cops to direct traffic? It's a 20 dollar bill from every one of the tens of thousands of cars every game-every year, I mean COME ON

Spot on.

Whateveritiscallednow Stadium is awful. It's in the middle of nowhere and the parking/road setup is awful. It is probably worse than Foxboro, which is crazy, as Foxboro is horrible to get out of.

True. But he & Polian built a team in Indy that played 8 games a year in a dome, 1 in a Stadium with a retractable roof (Houston), and another in North Florida (Jacksonville). Nashville isn't that bad either when it comes to the weather.

All those Colts teams relied on big time scoring (not an issue with Peyton) and fast, undersized guys on D.

Dungy should STFU!

Totally agree. WhoTF cares what Dungy thinks. opinions are like arsehules. Everybody has one.

Then why is it ok for the weather to cause a team to get bumped out of getting to the superbowl in the first place?

Why are weather issues acceptable if it's the rain with a slippery ball, or heavy winds or other things that can happen in Florida? That's ok "but they dealt with it" and he claims "you know there's going to be some weather issues." Well what if there aren't? The truth is it's not more likely for the weather to be bad than it is for it to be good. (Good and colder). And barring a situation like a foot or more snowfall during the game, who gives a crap anyway? They schedule plenty of games (and potentially every single solitary playoff game) in places where there's a threat of snow.

This isn't the world checkers tournament. Pretty lame to hear this come from a football guy.

Dungy is so overrated. Every team gets better when he leaves. He's the only coach the media gives credit to for the performance of a team after he's gone. When Gruden won the SB half the credit was supposed to go to Dungy. Even though Gruden was playing against a team he had built from nothing and left only the year before and got no credit for the Raiders being in the big game. Oh I forgot, Dungy is a Christian who counsels athletes with moral problems. Yeah, that totally works. Its right up there with anger management classes in effectiveness.

Then why is it ok for the weather to cause a team to get bumped out of getting to the superbowl in the first place?

Why are weather issues acceptable if it's the rain with a slippery ball, or heavy winds or other things that can happen in Florida? That's ok "but they dealt with it" and he claims "you know there's going to be some weather issues." Well what if there aren't? The truth is it's not more likely for the weather to be bad than it is for it to be good. (Good and colder). And barring a situation like a foot or more snowfall during the game, who gives a crap anyway? They schedule plenty of games (and potentially every single solitary playoff game) in places where there's a threat of snow.

This isn't the world checkers tournament. Pretty lame to hear this come from a football guy.

It might be 28 degrees and windy :yawn: God help those poor unprepared football players :rolleyes:

I hope Rodney Harrison punches Dungy in the head this year on the NBC set. While Rodney is at it he may as well take out everyone on that set lol.

If forgot to add that Dungy was the king of resting starters when his Colts teams had clinched a playoff spot. His actions directly affected the playoff picture in the AFC, not the freaking weather.

Archived