Article: Sanchez Gets Help From Rich Gannon

SMC

Jets' Mark Sanchez calling on ex-MVP in his NFL education

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is on quite the fast track, having made it to the AFC Championship Game and the White House already, a full three months shy of beginning his second NFL season.

Sanchez, who is a third-generation Mexican American, attended the May 19 state dinner hosted by President Obama and his wife, Michelle, in honor of Mexico president Felipe Calderon and wife Margarita Zavala. Sanchez invited Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson to accompany him on what he considers a scouting trip for a 2011 visit

Thats a good story. I like the idea of Sanchez working with a guy like Gannon and why I really hope we get Brunell to backup over a guy like Kellen Clemens. Sanchez can learn from these players. What is good about guys like this is that they had similar skillsets to Mark, particularly with their ability to run and throw on the run when escaping the pocket. I think people tend to forget that these guys were gritty players who were good scramblers that did alot with their feet in games because when McNabb and Culpepper came into the league the Steve Young type scrambling QB was replaced by a new model of athlete. I think alot of people tend to think that you either are a running QB ala Vick or a dropback passer with no in between.

Not only can players like this help Sanchez get the most out of his gifts, but they can also teach him the dangers of playing somewhat recklessly. Both guys had their bodies break down because they played with too much reckless abandon at times. I think Brunell started 16 games once in his career and was always missing time. His time as a starter was essentially done after just 7 seasons in part because of the beatings he took.

Thats a good story. I like the idea of Sanchez working with a guy like Gannon and why I really hope we get Brunell to backup over a guy like Kellen Clemens. Sanchez can learn from these players. What is good about guys like this is that they had similar skillsets to Mark, particularly with their ability to run and throw on the run when escaping the pocket. I think people tend to forget that these guys were gritty players who were good scramblers that did alot with their feet in games because when McNabb and Culpepper came into the league the Steve Young type scrambling QB was replaced by a new model of athlete. I think alot of people tend to think that you either are a running QB ala Vick or a dropback passer with no in between.

Not only can players like this help Sanchez get the most out of his gifts, but they can also teach him the dangers of playing somewhat recklessly. Both guys had their bodies break down because they played with too much reckless abandon at times. I think Brunell started 16 games once in his career and was always missing time. His time as a starter was essentially done after just 7 seasons in part because of the beatings he took.

Good post. The first part is spot on and those who were around to see Steve Young and remember the play of Brunnel and Gannon can relate their games to Sanchez.

But I especially like the point you bring up in the 2nd paragraph because they all had similar size/weight and got beat up in the league...and if I remember correctly, Brunnel was the smallest of them all but strong as hell. I remember some people saying the guy could bench like 500lbs or something crazy like that...anywho...its a good point and with his inability to slide, Sanchez could use some mentoring on how to save his body in the NFL if he's going to be a scramble type guy.

Those are good points, Jason & JiF. The "scrambling QB" has been forgotten with the coming of McNabb, Culpepper, Vick, Young, etc.

Not projecting anything, but play style wise, Sanchez reminded me of Roger Staubach when I saw him in college. He was that Young-esque scrambling QB. Gannon and (hopefully) Brunnell will help out Sanchez tremendously.

Thankfully the Jets have a franchise QB he loves to be coached and dares to be great.

All we need to do is become 15th in the league in passing?

Sanchez, Cotch, Edwards, Holmes, Keller, LT.

Hmm...

The weakest link on our offense is Schotty. BUT he did improve last year after Rex asserted himself and got his hands on the offensive part of the game... frankly I think Callahan is tuned up and ready to step in the minute Schotty regresses. Hopefully this is a non-concern this season, but with everyone else worried about our FG kicker... my concern is on Schotty.

Integrity, it will definitely be interesting to see what Schotty does.

This may be the defining moment of his coaching career. Look at the QBs he had before this that started (Chad coming back from a bad arm, Clemens, Favre who played well till he got hurt, and a rookie).

Schotty will have no excuses. He has the QB he wants running the system he wants.

Archived