NFL alumni George Martin blasts NFLPA director DeMaurice Smith

Jetfan13

Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal reports via twitter that NFL alumni executive direstor George Martin blasts, "and I mean blasts" NFLPA executive director DeMaurice. Smith.

Here are some excerpts from Martin's remarks:

Yesterday, NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith continued his practice of spreading rumor, falsehoods and innuendo concerning the issues facing retired NFL players in an article on sbnation.com As in the past, it is apparent that Mr. Smith is playing a game of smoke and mirrors to serve a political end that in no way addresses the quality of life needs and concerns of NFL alumni. I understand Mr. Smith and realize as a Washington DC lawyer he continues to play lawyer games. It is also very apparent that Mr. Smith views the issues facing alumni as nothing but a political poker chip for him to shuffle across the table as he sees fit. The issues facing retired NFL players and their families are real and affect real people and are much more important than beltway politics and lawyer games.

Like the former players in Dallas that Mr. Smith referenced, I feel it

Anyone else think DeMaurice Smith is out of his element and is the number one reason there's been no new CBA?

Everything I hear about this guy spells disaster.

I've felt that way from the beginning. This guy is THE problem.

Martin is a nice man who has done wonderful work for several 9/11 charities.He should be heeded.

If the NFLPA wants to strike over any issue, it should be that a players' pension and health benefits doesn't vest until they have a little over 3 years on the roster(less than the length of an average career), and practice squad time doesn't count. Further, the medical coverage for retired for a job that causes numerous health problems later in life is crap. THE NFL makes enough money to take care of these guys after they're done playing. That they do not do so now is criminal.

And an a-hole like Smith doesn't seem to give an eff.Smith should have taken that $100 million into the pension fund and pressed for more.

Archived