Woody not Fazed by unsigned Players

flgreen

Contract woes for Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and David Harris don't faze Jets owner Woody Johnson

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

alg_jets_split.jpg Yasukawa/Star-Ledger; Simmons/News; Conroy/AP

Nick Mangold (l.), Darrelle Revis (c.) and David Harris (r.) all have unresolved contract issues with the Jets, but owner Woody Johnson (b.) says he's doing what's best for the team in order to win.

amd_jets_woody.jpg Harbus for News

Less than two weeks before the start of training camp, Woody Johnson isn't overly concerned about his team's contractual quagmire with several core players.

The Jets still haven't worked out new deals for Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and David Harris, but the man in charge insists the fan base shouldn't worry.

"I think the fans know that we have to run the team ... and we have to run it within the rules," Johnson told the Daily News Monday. "The fans know that we are trying to win. We are using our best judgment - (GM) Mike Tannenbaum, all of the coaches and me as well."

The Jets signed Pro Bowl left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson to a six-year, $60 million extension two weeks ago, but three-quarters of the team's "Core Four" young nucleus remain unhappy.

Revis, who is scheduled to earn $1 million in the fourth year of his six-year rookie contract, has expressed his desire to become the league's highest-paid cornerback. Mangold, the center who is entering the final year of his five-year rookie deal, has left little doubt that he's not thrilled with the slow pace of his negotiations, either.

Tannenbaum has cited the uncertain NFL labor landscape as the primary hurdle to getting new deals done.

"We're trying to put the best team on the field within the rules to win the Super Bowl," Johnson said. "I guess the fans are going to have to have a little confidence in our ability to make that happen."

The Jets, of course, are a trendy Super Bowl pick after a busy offseason that included the addition of a former Super Bowl MVP (Santonio Holmes), two future Hall of Famers (LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Taylor) and a former Pro Bowler (Antonio Cromartie).

"We have a team of coaches that are second to none," Johnson said. "I would characterize our on-field talent the same way. ... I'm extremely excited. Every day I get more excited because it gets closer and closer."

Veterans report to Cortland for training camp on Aug. 1

what really sucks about this is all Hard Knocks is going to be about is the unhappy campers in Cortland and make the Jets seem like the same old greedy athletes that we have all come to hate and that have been ruining professional sports since Catfish Hunter signed with the Yankees

what really sucks about this is all Hard Knocks is going to be about is the unhappy campers in Cortland and make the Jets seem like the same old greedy athletes that we have all come to hate and that have been ruining professional sports since Catfish Hunter signed with the Yankees

Funny thing is I was oncsidering getting HBO to watch it. But deep down I think your 100% right. I have enough stuff to piss me off, don;t need any help their.

Somehow I think people who paid for a PSL might have a different reaction.

I want this team to be good for years... handing out 4 or 5 huge contracts when the CBA is not known would piss me off as it might make my next 10 seasons suck.

Funny thing is I was oncsidering getting HBO to watch it. But deep down I think your 100% right. I have enough stuff to piss me off, don;t need any help their.

I came to the same conclusion. I was going to get it for one month, but after I thought about it I decided I didn

I want this team to be good for years... handing out 4 or 5 huge contracts when the CBA is not known would piss me off as it might make my next 10 seasons suck.

don't worry your PSL is a good investment no matter how the team performs. check your prospectus for more info.

Archived