Miami Dolphins Sean Smith receives a wake-up call

Jetfan13

Everyone, maybe even Dolphins coaches, let the moment slide that first day of training camp when star receiver Brandon Marshall twisted promising cornerback Sean Smith into a pretzel every time the two faced each other.

It was, after all, only one practice. Marshall is, after all, one of the NFL's top three receivers.

And Smith, suave and full of swagger, shook off that tough first day with the same bravado he showed last year in covering Terrell Owens and Randy Moss.

``My plan is to the best, at least the best I can be, and the only way to be that is to face the best,'' Smith said. ``And Brandon Marshall is one of the best, if not one of the top two or three.''

But in the days following that duel with Marshall, Smith didn't improve on the unimpressive performance. Fact is, one ordinary practice bled into the next and, suddenly, there were whispers about Smith.

That's when Tony Sparano and his coaches decided to deliver what seems like a blaring alarm clock to the sleepwalking Smith:

The coaches demoted the man who started 16 games last season to second-team status. And in moving Smith down, they raised Jason Allen to first-team.

Coaches demoted a player everyone thinks will become a star while promoting a player some fans and media view as a Nick Saban draft bust.

NO ENTITLEMENTS

So, yes, it's a good thing for senior citizens the Miami coaching staff isn't running Social Security, because these guys simply don't believe in entitlements.

``Out here, we're going to play the best people,'' Sparano said. ``The best guys are going to go out and play, and I really don't care about any of the other stuff. At the end of the day we're evaluated on whether we win or lose. So the best guys will get out there on the field. There shouldn't be any entitlement, any of that stuff.

``I tell my players all the time this is a show-me game. At some point I don't care if you're young, old, you have to show me you can still do this and do it at a high level.''

Smith hasn't exactly been doing it at a high level yet in 2010. After struggling with Marshall, he locked up a couple of times with receivers Patrick Turner and Roberto Wallace.

Wallace, an undrafted rookie free agent, beat Smith for a touchdown late in the week. Turner, who couldn't get on the field consistently last season, beat Smith on a back-shoulder catch that left the cornerback so frustrated, he pounded his fist into the turf.

``He's been OK, done a good job,'' Sparano said of Smith on Friday.

We interrupt this column to bring you some perspective and the Rosetta Stone translation of Sparano's just-uttered sentence:

Sparano rightfully refuses to air dirty laundry in public. That means he rarely, if ever, criticizes his players in the media because he simply doesn't agree it serves a useful purpose. The coach prefers to tell players his feelings to their face rather than in newspaper pages or TV interviews.

The coach carries this to such extremes, he insisted last year he really liked his wide receivers before the team drafted two new ones, then signed Marshall and traded away Ted Ginn Jr. this year.

The point is being ``OK'' is roughly the Sparano equivalent of the Jim Mora ``playoffs'' rant.

``Look, there's a few guys at [cornerback] right now that have done some good things,'' Sparano said. ``Jason Allen is a guy that has gotten his hands on more footballs than anyone out there. So Jason Allen deserves the opportunity to move up and to see if he can do that against the best people.''

Sean Smith is "decent" on coverage, but as far as hitting, he makes Cromartie look like Patrick Willis. If you're gonna play patty cake instead of hitting, you'd better be Deion good in coverage, and he's not even close. I hope Will Allen starts.

Sean who??????

LOL. He plays for the Fins. You know, the team you haven't beaten since W. was President. Can't wait to hear the 2010 smack talk once we stretch the streak to 4 & 5.

yeah and he sucks. so what. keep holding onto that sweep from last year. since it's the only thing your sorry team accomplished anyway. i'll take a sweep to your gay team every year if we make the championship. why don't you tell us who was president the last time the dophins didn't get completely embarrassed in the play-offs and maybe even won a play-off game.

LOL. He plays for the Fins. You know, the team you haven't beaten since W. was President. Can't wait to hear the 2010 smack talk once we stretch the streak to 4 & 5.

I'd rather come 30 minutes from a Superbowl appearance but thats just me... keep hanging on to the sweep last year... without that you only beat five other teams... there's something to be proud of!!! Congrats

yeah and he sucks. so what. keep holding onto that sweep from last year. since it's the only thing your sorry team accomplished anyway. i'll take a sweep to your gay team every year if we make the championship. why don't you tell us who was president the last time the dophins didn't get completely embarrassed in the play-offs and maybe even won a play-off game.

You sound upset. Take ten deep breaths and get back to me ;) .

I'd rather come 30 minutes from a Superbowl appearance but thats just me... keep hanging on to the sweep last year... without that you only beat five other teams... there's something to be proud of!!! Congrats

Last year is last year. But if you're gonna talk smack about a team that swept you, it sounds kinda foolish.

Last year is last year. But if you're gonna talk smack about a team that swept you, it sounds kinda foolish.

Is it foolish? Joining Jetnation as a dolphin fan with a gif of Carolina Panthers seems foolish... Go back to finheaven!

"Last year is last year" yet you're bringing up last years sweep. Dolphins fans never cease to amaze with their stupidity. :rolleyes:

"Last year is last year" yet you're bringing up last years sweep. Dolphins fans never cease to amaze with their stupidity. :rolleyes:

View previous thread entitled:

Miami Dolphins living on past glory:

Why does this surprise you?

That's how I feel about it. But some people like to run their mouths and I have no problem reminding those select few that there's nothing to brag about vis a vis Miami. They're called bragging rights for a reason, you get them for winning. Right now, we have them. Beat us this year, and you'll have them. But bragging about how a team sucks when that same team swept you is, well, stupid, as you say.

The Dolphins were a bad matchup for us last season, no doubt. But we proved to be the better team. This season, we'll be the tougher matchup AND the better team. There's no Jay Feely around to butcher kickoffs, no Ted Ginn to have career games, and no Alan Faneca to get destroyed by Randy Starks anymore.

The Dolphins were a bad matchup for us last season, no doubt. But we proved to be the better team. This season, we'll be the tougher matchup AND the better team. There's no Jay Feely around to butcher kickoffs, no Ted Ginn to have career games, and no Alan Faneca to get destroyed by Randy Starks anymore.

I've got them about even. What makes you think the Jets will match up better?

I've got them about even. What makes you think the Jets will match up better?

1) Our additions this offseason > your additions

2) We no longer have Jay Feely doing kickoffs and you no longer have Ted Ginn returning them

3) We no longer have Alan Faneca doing his best impression of a bullfighter against Randy Starks

4) Rex won't have as much trouble with the Wildcat this season

5) The Jason Taylor effect

That's how I feel about it. But some people like to run their mouths and I have no problem reminding those select few that there's nothing to brag about vis a vis Miami. They're called bragging rights for a reason, you get them for winning. Right now, we have them. Beat us this year, and you'll have them. But bragging about how a team sucks when that same team swept you is, well, stupid, as you say.

While I agree, Dolphags have every right to talk sh*t to Jets fans for the sweep. I also dont see why the Jets fans cant talk sh*t to Dolphags because, well, they won 2 playoff games last season. Refresh my memory (I honestly dont know) when was the last time the Dolphags won 1 playoff game?

Bottom line, yep, you swept us. Congrats. But your 7-9 team sucked. Which kind of makes the sweep sting a bit more...but that sting is taken away by the fact the Jets were 30 minutes from a SB birth.

I've got a good feeling the Jets will return the favor this year...but who knows. I've penciled in victories over the Dolphags the last 2 times (I knew they'd lose with Favre)...and I was wrong those 2 times...so...only time will tell.

1) Our additions this offseason > your additions

Dunno about that one. You kinda have to see how the new parts fit together before you can say that.

2) We no longer have Jay Feely doing kickoffs and you no longer have Ted Ginn returning them

I think losing Feeley and adding Folk is a downgrade.

3) We no longer have Alan Faneca doing his best impression of a bullfighter against Randy Starks

Addition by subtraction, I can go for that. But what's the deal with this Slauson kid?

4) Rex won't have as much trouble with the Wildcat this season

I agree there. Hopefully our conventional offense will be able to pick up the slack.

5) The Jason Taylor effect

JT will be leaking all of your game plans to his brother in law, Zach Thomas, who'll be giving them to our coaching staff. Once a Fin, always a Fin :lol:

While I agree, Dolphags have every right to talk sh*t to Jets fans for the sweep. I also dont see why the Jets fans cant talk sh*t to Dolphags because, well, they won 2 playoff games last season. Refresh my memory (I honestly dont know) when was the last time the Dolphags won 1 playoff game?

Bottom line, yep, you swept us. Congrats. But your 7-9 team sucked. Which kind of makes the sweep sting a bit more...but that sting is taken away by the fact the Jets were 30 minutes from a SB birth.

I've got a good feeling the Jets will return the favor this year...but who knows. I've penciled in victories over the Dolphags the last 2 times (I knew they'd lose with Favre)...and I was wrong those 2 times...so...only time will tell.

Touche. It's been so long I don't even remember myself. I think it was 2000 though. So yeah, you guys can clown us for that all day, but prior to 2009, you guys weren't exactly tearing it up int he post season either. Besides, last year is over, I'm salivating for 2010. I think Fins-Jets can be the new Ravens-Steelers, especially if Henne and Sanchez pan out as legit QB's.

Dunno about that one. You kinda have to see how the new parts fit together before you can say that.

Fair enough.

I think losing Feeley and adding Folk is a downgrade.

I disagree, especially when it comes to kickoffs. Feely was God awful at those. No way Folk can be worse.

Addition by subtraction, I can go for that. But what's the deal with this Slauson kid?

No clue how he'll perform. He knows the system back and front and he's Callahan's boy. I'll trust him for now. I certainly don't see him allowing 7 sacks like Faneca did.

Touche. It's been so long I don't even remember myself. I think it was 2000 though. So yeah, you guys can clown us for that all day, but prior to 2009, you guys weren't exactly tearing it up int he post season either. Besides, last year is over, I'm salivating for 2010. I think Fins-Jets can be the new Ravens-Steelers, especially if Henne and Sanchez pan out as legit QB's.

Since your playoff win, we have 4 wins in 5 trips. That aint bad. Whatever, we could go in circles with that type of stuff.

I agree and good call on the Pitt/Ravens. I actually just made a post saying that I think the Jets have a similar team to those Pit teams. 2 good teams with young core players. I think where the Jets have the biggest advantage is we have elite talent on our team hitting their prime. Whether we can retain all of them is another story ;-). I'd also say their recent playoff experience is an advantage as well. Especially for the QB's.

Archived