those who fail to learn from history....

sirlancemehlot

I remember when we dumped Pete Kendall. Everybody said he was washed up and we'd be just fine with a cheaper replacement. Then the season went to hell.

Teams draft, develop and trade for lineman in hopes that they might one day have a dominant offensive line.

Last year, the Jets had arguably the best offensive line in football.

This year, they dumped Alan Faneca. Faneca was declining, but still one of the best pulling guards in the league. If he was the worst lineman we had, then he was the worst of an elite group. Somebody has to be the worst--don't they? Still, he was as good or better than most guards in the league. Just like Pete Kendall. But nobody cared. He's just a lineman. We can have Santonio Holmes! Jason Taylor! Antonio Cromartie! We can make a splash!

Through three preseason games our offense has been anemic. Our QB has spent a ton of time on his back. It's obvious that neither Slauson nor Ducasse have the feet to pull and block in space.

We did it again. And this bothers the sh*t out of me.

I remember when we dumped Pete Kendall. Everybody said he was washed up and we'd be just fine with a cheaper replacement. Then the season went to hell.

Teams draft, develop and trade for lineman in hopes that they might one day have a dominant offensive line.

Last year, the Jets had arguably the best offensive line in football.

This year, they dumped Alan Faneca. Faneca was declining, but still one of the best pulling guards in the league. If he was the worst lineman we had, then he was the worst of an elite group. Somebody has to be the worst--don't they? Still, he was as good or better than most guards in the league. Just like Pete Kendall. But nobody cared. He's just a lineman. We can have Santonio Holmes! Jason Taylor! Antonio Cromartie! We can make a splash!

Through three preseason games our offense has been anemic. Our QB has spent a ton of time on his back. It's obvious that neither Slauson nor Ducasse have the feet to pull and block in space.

We did it again. And this bothers the sh*t out of me.

Faneca was no better at protecting Sanchez.

Our run game has not suffered and even if it does, can you really credit that to Faneca's absence, when there are 2 new RB's? :huh:

Faneca was no better at protecting Sanchez.

Our run game has not suffered and even if it does, can you really credit that to Faneca's absence, when there are 2 new RB's? :huh:

So our line is as good with Slauson as it was with Faneca?

Neither Slauson nor Ducasse is a starting lineman in this league at this point. Slauson got Snachez hammered VS Carolina and Ducasse...awful. Neither has won the position because neither is any good at it. Our QB's are getting killed. and as far as two new running backs--Ladanian Tomlinson is hardly "new" and Greene is obviously no rookie. There has been a ton of penetration coming right up the gut all preseason. I don't think anyone can argue that.

So our line is as good with Slauson as it was with Faneca?

Neither Slauson nor Ducasse is a starting lineman in this league at this point. Slauson got Snachez hammered VS Carolina and Ducasse...awful. Neither has won the position because neither is any good at it. Our QB's are getting killed. and as far as two new running backs--Ladanian Tomlinson is hardly "new" and Greene is obviously no rookie. There has been a ton of penetration coming right up the gut all preseason. I don't think anyone can argue that.

I was not counting Greene as new, I could have sworn he was here last year, but thanks.

Faneca was just as much as a liability protecting Sanchez, you act like he has not been a total disaster in Arizona.

We had 160 yards rushing, our o line was not nearly the biggest problem.

Either Sanchez is holding onto the ball too long because he does not trust his decision making, or the receivers just are not getting enough separation for Sanchez to sling it in safely. It didn't help that Santonio fumbled, or some holding calls killed drives.

it is encouraging that he bounced back and went 7/9 in the 3rd quarter TD drive, but he still has a lot of learning and developing to do. Let's not be too quick too crown him or too quick to send him to the guillotine. Remember last season? He stunk against baltimore, but then he was amazing for the first three regular season games, then he stunk for the middle of the season, then he was good again, then stunk against ATL, then had his great playoff run. Do not rush to judgment.

13/21 with 1 TD and 1 INT and 140 yards through 3 quarters is not horrendous, its serviceable. in other news Chad Henne went 10/22 for 123 yards

LT ran 11 carries 86 yards Ricky Williams ran 4 carries for 5 yards

And for those idiots that are actually bashing shonn greene, he averaged 4.6 yards per carry on 12 attempts for 56 yards so please spare me the nonsense. In other news Ronnie Brown had 8 attempts for 9 yards.

So despite the doom and gloom talk about Sanchez, take solace in knowing that he outplayed the pride and joy of the miami dolphags.

This is why we can't talk politics. Some jackass would bring it into the football area.

There was no real talk of politics. It was a little levity during an otherwise bleak third-game-in-a-row-of-twerrible-offense. Karl Marx was throwing up classic quotes because the thread title was a classic quote.

They cut Faneca but take on Jason Taylor and Mark Brunell. This is what Buddy Ryan was like as a head coach, it was hit or miss with player evaluation. Like when he got rid of Cris Carter because "he only runs the fade route". Often misquoted as only catching TDs but even the original statement was stupid.

The issue is Sanchez waiting 4 seconds for his primary target to get open and then panicking when he can't. Asking to give a QB 6-8 seconds everytime he drops back is unrealistic b

I agree that Sanchez is holding the ball too long. But he's been hit an awful lot through three games. Even our two's got The Marlboro Man hammered a few times eventually leading to a fumble. Our line was better last year. I don't understand how it's more important to upgrade stacked positions and actually downgrade at thin ones. We have a glut of WR's and RB's. We have no real backups at DL, QB (assuming Clemens departure), MLB, and CB (a ton of bodies but no starter quality behind lowery--who'll end up playing safety on a team that already carries Ihedigbo, Smith, Leonard, Poole, and a bunch of camp fodder). Faneca was better as a part of this line than many think. Watch Thomas Jones highlight reels and you'll see him blockin 7-10 yards downfield on a regular basis. Of course, the Jets fan M.O. is to hate any player we release. It's what we do. There are even folks who think Leon deserved what he got, and hate his wife. Because Joe McNight is so much better, I guess.

They cut Faneca but take on Jason Taylor and Mark Brunell. This is what Buddy Ryan was like as a head coach, it was hit or miss with player evaluation. Like when he got rid of Cris Carter because "he only runs the fade route". Often misquoted as only catching TDs but even the original statement was stupid.

I guarantee you cutting Faneca was not a REX ryan decision but a penny pinching move by business man first, football owner second, woody Johnson.

I agree that Sanchez is holding the ball too long. But he's been hit an awful lot through three games. Even our two's got The Marlboro Man hammered a few times eventually leading to a fumble. Our line was better last year. I don't understand how it's more important to upgrade stacked positions and actually downgrade at thin ones. We have a glut of WR's and RB's. We have no real backups at DL, QB (assuming Clemens departure), MLB, and CB (a ton of bodies but no starter quality behind lowery--who'll end up playing safety on a team that already carries Ihedigbo, Smith, Leonard, Poole, and a bunch of camp fodder). Faneca was better as a part of this line than many think. Watch Thomas Jones highlight reels and you'll see him blockin 7-10 yards downfield on a regular basis. Of course, the Jets fan M.O. is to hate any player we release. It's what we do. There are even folks who think Leon deserved what he got, and hate his wife. Because Joe McNight is so much better, I guess.

The running game is fine, and Faneca sucked in pass protection, his absence is not the problem!

The running game is fine, and Faneca sucked in pass protection, his absence is not the problem!

It is not THE problem, certainly. It is A problem. Faneca din't suck at pass protection the way our current replacemnets suck at pass protection. And neither run-blocks as well. Or do you disagree? If so, what is THE problem?

It is not THE problem, certainly. It is A problem. Faneca din't suck at pass protection the way our current replacemnets suck at pass protection. And neither run-blocks as well. Or do you disagree? If so, what is THE problem?

The running game is fine and Faneca did and still sucks in pass protection, ask Arizona.

The running game is fine and Faneca did and still sucks in pass protection, ask Arizona.

Ok I'll ask Arizona. Dear Arizon, how many sacks have you given up this year?

Arizona: why, we've given up three. Sirlance.

Thank you, Arizona. By chance, might you know how many the Jets have given up so far?

Arizona: Yes. We have a computer, Sirlance. And we can look it up. The answer is, TEN.

Ten. And either Ducasse or Slauson was on the field for every one of them. Not so, Faneca.

Thank you, Arizona. By chance, might you know how many the Jets have given up so far?

Arizona: Yes. We have a computer, Sirlance. And we can look it up. The answer is, TEN.

Ten. And either Ducasse or Slauson was on the field for every one of them. Not so, Faneca.

Ask them how many we would have given up with Faneca.

lol

No lineman in the league gave up more sacks than Alan Faneca last season. And he's looked even worse this year in preseason action with Arizona. This is not a Pete Kendall situation in the least.

I guarantee you cutting Faneca was not a REX ryan decision but a penny pinching move by business man first, football owner second, woody Johnson.

Umm...I believe we saved a whole $1 million in change by cutting Faneca. Most of his contract for the next two years was guaranteed money anyway. We cut Faneca because we thought he was a liability and we had two guys in Ducasse and Slauson that could be just as effective run blockers and couldn't be much worse pass blocking. This way, instead of causing a ruckus in the locker room by benching Faneca, a captain and team leader...We let him walk so he can finish his career as a starter for another team. If cutting Faneca was a pure money-saving move, then i fear we need to worry about the financial knowledge Tanny and Woody possess.

Archived