Jason Taylor ready to play 60 to 70 snaps

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Taylor acknowledges aching body but says he's ready to play 60 or 70 snaps

Published: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 2:00 PM Updated: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 2:14 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jason Taylor didn't paint a glowing picture of the health of his 36-year-old body, saying that parts do ache and mornings can be hard.

"Being in the league 14 years, there are things you can't do as much as you used to," the Jets outside linebacker said. "It gets a little more difficult to tie your shoes and do certain things. But there are plenty of things that get you loosened up and warmed on game days, and all that matters is those four hours."

Taylor is expected to start in those four hours Monday night, with Calvin Pace out for at least this week and potentially more following surgery on a broken bone in his foot. But as for the wear and tear affecting his play, Taylor said he played 60 to 70 snaps in each game for the Dolphins last year and will be able to do the same for the Jets.

"Yeah, why not?" he asked.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Friday that Taylor is in "fantastic shape." But Pettine added that they probably won't use him the complete game and will rotate at outside linebacker and defensive end -- likely with Vernon Gholston -- in different personnel groupings.

Taylor was brought in to be a situational pass rusher, but Pace's injury changed the plans. Coming off offseason shoulder surgery, he sat out during organized team activities in the spring and really began assimilating into the defense during training camp.

"I know it all, or know enough to not mess up," Taylor said. "I feel confident. I understand what I need to do. I understand where I fit the concept of the defense. When you understand the concept and where you fit and where you work off the guy next to you, it helps you play at a different speed and anticipate what may or may not happen to you."

Taylor said HBO's "Hard Knocks" "made me look like an idiot," depicting him getting lost or being late to a handful of games and practices. Taylor said he made one wrong turn and was late as a result once, and pointed out that he would have been on time to the Hofstra practice but the Jets moved it up 30 to 45 minutes because a thunderstorm was headed for the area.

"As far as the buying in thing, it hasn’t been a question from the first second that he’s walked in the door here," Pettine said. "He’s one of the most humble, well-liked guys on the team. He instantly meshed himself right into the fabric of the defensive room from the first day."

Pettine added that Taylor has absorbed the playbook and welcomed critiques on his technique.

It doesn't look like S Brodney Pool (ankle) will play Monday night. Look for Eric Smith to start in his place. Pool said he is optimistic, but only took scout team reps today, which is not a good sign.

"It's going to be up to the coaches," said Pool, who will be listed as questionable. "It's just going to come down to how I feel Monday."

Said coach Rex Ryan: "He's almost at that point where (we say), 'Do we push him through it and risk him (having) more of a longer, nagging injury? Or do we give him a little time off so he gets to 100 percent? That's what we're weighing now. Brodney wants to play, so we're still looking at that."

Union rep Tony Richardson said a decision had not been made yet on whether or not the Jets will join in the gesture the Vikings and Saints made Thursday night, when they raised a single finger to express union solidarity.

Taylor said HBO's "Hard Knocks" "made me look like an idiot," depicting him getting lost or being late to a handful of games and practices. Taylor said he made one wrong turn and was late as a result once, and pointed out that he would have been on time to the Hofstra practice but the Jets moved it up 30 to 45 minutes because a thunderstorm was headed for the area.

But everyone else made it on time.

Archived