METS clean house.

visajets

I was actually impressed with what the Wilpons were saying today. One of them was on Francessa and he sounded earnest, honest, and shrewd on the Mets' future...I also hope they gut it out with Citifled because it's a really nice looking park.

aiyDNFwn.jpg

The Mets are pretty good at holding these bullsh*t "We Wilpons really want to win!" press conferences at regular intervals.

They are meaningless. No one wants to work with douchebag Jeff Wilpon.

Carl Crawford and Cliff Lee would both fit very well in pitching/defense/speed oriented Citifield. The Mets won't bother to call either.

The Mets are pretty good at holding these bullsh*t "We Wilpons really want to win!" press conferences at regular intervals.

They are meaningless. No one wants to work with douchebag Jeff Wilpon.

Carl Crawford and Cliff Lee would both fit very well in pitching/defense/speed oriented Citifield. The Mets won't bother to call either.

That seems pessimistic...I'm sure someone would want one of the two NYC baseball GM jobs.

I hope they go with one of the nerd GMs...DePodesta being the one who really could use a 2nd job. Crawford and Lee *would* be perfect for that park...Lee would feel like he's back in SafeCo and Crawford's D would be huge there as would his 2Bs and 3B numbers.

If Cliff Lee isn't a Met this offseason then they're retarded...well unless they pull something else off.

He fits that park perfectly, and he'll be able to compete with his boy CC right across town.

That's the thought process that has held the franchise back for so long. The idea that one big-name free agent acquisition can fix so many of their problems.

That's the thought process that has held the franchise back for so long. The idea that one big-name free agent acquisition can fix so many of their problems.

Failed it as usual...

Lee gives them an ace...slots Pelfrey into the #2 spot he should be in...knocks Niese down to the 3rd spot...puts Dickey into a knuckle ballers proper #4 spot...Then when Santana comes back he'll have a feel veteran lefty to bounce off with...and they have a full rotation with guys that, for the most part, can be trusted.

Also, the Mets aren't the disaster they're painted as...Really if they find a competent 2B (Orlando Hudson) they should hit pretty well next year.

Failed it as usual...

How so? Its true. They need a top-to-bottom blowing up of the organization. Not a band-aid. The more pricey players the Mets try to get, the more draft picks they surrender. And even when they do have picks, they screw themselves with horrid minor league coaches and trainers. The Mets' problems run deep.

How so? Its true. They need a top-to-bottom blowing up of the organization. Not a band-aid. The more pricey players the Mets try to get, the more draft picks they surrender. And even when they do have picks, they screw themselves with horrid minor league coaches and trainers. The Mets' problems run deep.

So...they'd collapse by signing one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball? That'd be the breaking point?

So...they'd collapse by signing one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball? That'd be the breaking point?

Of course not. But I AM saying it wouldnt fix the problem. The Mets do this every year, discuss which big-name free agent to go after. And whether they sign him or not, they go .500, and wonder why.

You build a franchise through your farm system, and the Mets don't have one. I'm trying to think long-term here, Gato, not a quick fix.

Of course not. But I AM saying it wouldnt fix the problem. The Mets do this every year, discuss which big-name free agent to go after. And whether they sign him or not, they go .500, and wonder why.

You build a franchise through your farm system, and the Mets don't have one. I'm trying to think long-term here, Gato, not a quick fix.

1. Next year is a year they can make a push if they have a good offseason. .500 is not their ceiling. Beltran is not going to OPS in sub-.700 range he was at before his monster September, Reyes should suck less, Bay should suck less...Getting those 3 back on their games will do wonders.

2. Their farm system has given them Wright, Reyes, Dickey (rebuilt his career and arm in their minors), Pagan, Thole, Pelfrey, Neise, and Davis.

3. Lee gives them a true ace with Santana down, and he's one of those guys who looks like he'll age extremely well. Signing him would set the rotation for th next 5 years....Lee/Santana/Pelfrey/Neise/Dickey...and w/o Santana in the early season next year...Lee/Pelfrey/Neise/Dickey/Probably Gee or something.

4. They pick in the top 18 so their first round pick is protected.

5. Lee also fits in that he can mentor the young pitchers and even help out post-injury Santana. He's seen bad days like Santana is seeing now...he got sent down to the minors at one point when he was like 26...And he's been a huge boon for the Rangers young pitchers like CJ Wilson.

Lee + Hudson would be a really nice offseason for the Mets...then scour the trade market and see what can be done...maybe trade Beltran...maybe trade Reyes...either way I don't think they're going to sit back this offseason and call it rebuilding time.

1. Next year is a year they can make a push if they have a good offseason. .500 is not their ceiling. Beltran is not going to OPS in sub-.700 range he was at before his monster September, Reyes should suck less, Bay should suck less...Getting those 3 back on their games will do wonders.

2. Their farm system has given them Wright, Reyes, Dickey (rebuilt his career and arm in their minors), Pagan, Thole, Pelfrey, Neise, and Davis.

3. Lee gives them a true ace with Santana down, and he's one of those guys who looks like he'll age extremely well. Signing him would set the rotation for th next 5 years....Lee/Santana/Pelfrey/Neise/Dickey...and w/o Santana in the early season next year...Lee/Pelfrey/Neise/Dickey/Probably Gee or something.

4. They pick in the top 18 so their first round pick is protected.

5. Lee also fits in that he can mentor the young pitchers and even help out post-injury Santana. He's seen bad days like Santana is seeing now...he got sent down to the minors at one point when he was like 26...And he's been a huge boon for the Rangers young pitchers like CJ Wilson.

Lee + Hudson would be a really nice offseason for the Mets...then scour the trade market and see what can be done...maybe trade Beltran...maybe trade Reyes...either way I don't think they're going to sit back this offseason and call it rebuilding time.

1. I just think if the Wilpons keep doing the same stuff and hoping it sticks, they'll be around a .500 franchise for a LONG time. They had better hire a smart GM and let him make sweeping changes.

2. Dickey transformed into a knuckleballer as a last resort at the age of 35. I'm glad it worked out, but its similar to the Dolphins using the Wildcat. I consider knuckleballers somewhat of a gimmick. It works for him though, so...good work!

And I won't deny the Mets have had some talent come through their system. However, with the resources the Mets have, they have really not produced any STARS out of their system outside of Wright. Certainly no better than any other franchise.

They've wasted so many young guys because they get hurt and they have no one who knows how to diagnose an injury down in the farm system. Brad Holt, a 1st rounder from '08, was told 3 different things by 3 different Mets doctors about what's wrong with his elbow. That kind of crap happens all the time at every level and needs to be cleaned up.

3. Wasn't Santana supposed to be a true ace? I don't understand why so many Mets players do well before they come to the Mets and after they leave, but struggle when they wear the Mets' uniforms. Just about everyone underachieves with the Mets. Lee won't be immune to this.

4. Good news.

5. That's a great quality to have, and the Mets do need players to take leadership roles on this team. They haven't had true leaders on the team in a decade.

I don't think the Mets should sit back, but there are other ways of being proactive than going after veterans. Sure, it'll help in the here and now, but they need to fix all the things wrong with the franchise internally before going on another spending spree.

I understand what you're saying...The Mets have been plagued by injuries, under performance, and etc...Those are not problems that have any connection to signing the kind of TOR pitcher they've wanted and needed for a couple years now. "Because he's a veteran" is not a reason to go after a top 5 pitcher who WANTS to pitch in NY and has only gotten better with age. Signing Cliff Lee would not, should not, and probably could not hold them back from going after the many other problems with the organizations.

One thing the Mets do is comply with Selig's "request" to slot draft pick contracts on his suggested wage scale.It's scummy nonsense, and it hasn't helped thema t all. The Sawx and Yanks don't. Idea being a big market team should do their best to make better players demand higher contracts so they fall to the big market clubs due to signability.

One thing the Mets do is comply with Selig's "request" to slot draft pick contracts on his suggested wage scale.It's scummy nonsense, and it hasn't helped thema t all. The Sawx and Yanks don't. Idea being a big market team should do their best to make better players demand higher contracts so they fall to the big market clubs due to signability.

I think this is a case of Wilpon hiding behind the notion that he doesn't want to go against Selig, when the real reason they don't pay over slot is because they're a nickel-and-dime operation.

Before giving a 24th-rounder $500k last year, I think the last time they went over slot was when they took Kazmir in 2002. It's no surprise that their farm system has been terrible...

Archived