Red Sox land Carl Crawford (per Globe/Fox Sports)

Blackout

A 34/35 year old guy who has lost foot speed and bat speed and played an average of only 77 games a year the last 2 seasons is no longer elite. He's also whiny and doesn't take direction well. He's Austin Kearns or Gary Sheffield at the end with less power. And he is still making serious money this year. Which means the Mets come July might give him away for a can of magic beans an an infielder from the Lowell Spinners from the Sawx.But all things being equal Beltran is now a less than average OF who cannot stay healthy and for the rest of 2011 has a huge contract number. Suspect Alderson will cut bait at first opportunity only to get rid of him.

Key word is might...because really 34/35 isn't that old in the 21st century and the whole injury thing is mighty overstated. Last year he threw up a .768 OPS (with a 30/39 BB:K ratio, a .172 ISOslg, 3 triples despite the age and foot speed loss, 21 XBH in 255 ABs, and a 109 OPS+) coming off the injury and being hindered in his old age...My guess is a healthy Beltran is very capable of a really strong season.

I do agree that it's much easier to say he's not good right now, hence the discussion.

Also, character concerns are overblown, as most things said by NY fans tend to be.

Ellsbury does not suck. Beltran would never play 162 games and if he did, he probably would come close to 28 homers. 20 maybe. The Sox are taking the form of a different team. Long gone are the days of the big middle of the order mashers. They are going to be a little bit speed, a little bit power, and a whole lot of bases runners. Beltran is not a smart move. In any sense. Please take his nuts off of your chin. The Sox don't need him and they won't pay a high price for him, or really any price. I'm sure the Mets would want more than he's worth.

From the Globe:

It’s intriguing to watch teams formulate contingency plans in the event they can’t get their first choice. The Red Sox did a ton of work on Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Beltran and also explored a deal with Washington for Josh Willingham before they were able to land Carl Crawford.

From the Globe:

It’s intriguing to watch teams formulate contingency plans in the event they can’t get their first choice. The Red Sox did a ton of work on Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Beltran and also explored a deal with Washington for Josh Willingham before they were able to land Carl Crawford.

They would have liked Willingham. He's like Bay-lite...All 3 are still there for the taking. Man I love Hot Stove season...but only one plays a position where it'd be an upgrade for the Sox to have him out there....guess who.

I will not be surprised to see a Beltran for Ellsbury + arms trade at some point this season...possibly Ellsbury + Scutaro and arms if Jed Lowery is healthy this trade deadline.

They would have liked Willingham. He's like Bay-lite...All 3 are still there for the taking. Man I love Hot Stove season...but only one plays a position where it'd be an upgrade for the Sox to have him out there....guess who.

I will not be surprised to see a Beltran for Ellsbury + arms trade at some point this season...possibly Ellsbury + Scutaro and arms if Jed Lowery is healthy this trade deadline.

Why would the Red Sox make either of those trades. Ellsbury is younger, faster, has played well in the AL, and is under a reasonable contract for a while. Beltran is old, overpaid, and injury prone. At least make the trade make sense. Beltran straight up isn't a good deal, why would the Sox throw in other players/"arms". Be reasonable.

That's the best part of the joke! Ellsbury sucks as a defensive CFer...hence the Cameron signing going into 2010...hence the idea of moving him to LF before 2010 opened...

Also long way to go? The guy before his injury was throwing up an OPS over .900, and in the two years before that (also in his low 30s) he OPS'd just below .900. It'd take a miracle for Ellsbury to get close to an .800 OPS.

Good to see your love affair with Beltran is still strong.

From his first full season to second he went from .730 to .770 in OPS. Additionally, most of his stats improved. Average, 2Bs, 3Bs, BBs went up and Ks went down. He will never have the power Beltran has, but the point you miss. He will be playing long after Beltran hangs it up.

Archived