Red Sox land Carl Crawford (per Globe/Fox Sports)

Blackout

to be honest he's coming off a career year and is what, 30?

he's getting esentially the same money per year as Adrian Gonzalez....what a joke!

How is it a joke? Who do the Yankees have to combat their hitting? A bunch of old a$$ Superstars that can't hit in crunch time. Derek Jeter? A-Rod? And it looks like the idiot Mets are going to trade them Carlos Beltran for Daisuke. ******* joke. I really thought the Yankees were going to sign him, seeing that Cashman had dinner with him and his agent yesterday. If we dont sign Cliff Lee then goodbye AL East. Nick Swisher, Jeter and A-Rod arent going to bring us back to the promised land, believe that. Pettite might retire, AJ Burnett blows, so what pitching do we have outside of CC and Phil Hughes? Dont forget that sh*tty Fenway Park is a hitters paradise. They have Adrian Gonzales and Carl Crawford. Adrian Gonzales is going to go a hot mess off the Green Monster and Crawford is a speed and base stealing demon. This isnt good.

Carl Crawford is going to hit about 70 triples this season. With all the funny bounces of the monster in LF and all the real estate in RF. If you're in one of those dopey fantasy leagues that uses triples, he's your guy.

to be honest he's coming off a career year and is what, 30?

he's getting esentially the same money per year as Adrian Gonzalez....what a joke!

Only issue with your statement is the Yanks were talking to him just the night before.

Crawford, after all, was Brian Cashman's fall-back option all along in case Lee turns down the Yankees and re-signs with the Rangers. The Yankee GM was prepared to open the vault for Crawford if necessary, as a way of turbo-charging the offense and creating a surplus of outfielders to trade for pitching.

He told Crawford just that when he met with him Tuesday night, and no doubt Cashman believed the free-agent outfielder would be willing to wait, knowing that Yankee presence would jack up the bidding for him.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/12/09/2010-12-09_rivals_moves_could_burn_cashman_on_hot_stove.html#ixzz17cEgOx1l

How is it a joke? Who do the Yankees have to combat their hitting? A bunch of old a$$ Superstars that can't hit in crunch time. Derek Jeter? A-Rod? And it looks like the idiot Mets are going to trade them Carlos Beltran for Daisuke. ******* joke. I really thought the Yankees were going to sign him, seeing that Cashman had dinner with him and his agent yesterday. If we dont sign Cliff Lee then goodbye AL East. Nick Swisher, Jeter and A-Rod arent going to bring us back to the promised land, believe that. Pettite might retire, AJ Burnett blows, so what pitching do we have outside of CC and Phil Hughes? Dont forget that sh*tty Fenway Park is a hitters paradise. They have Adrian Gonzales and Carl Crawford. Adrian Gonzales is going to go a hot mess off the Green Monster and Crawford is a speed and base stealing demon. This isnt good.

From a pitching standpoint the Yanks need Lee now or HUGHES must become Buchholtz which he clearly is not to date in their careers.

Hitting wise the Yanks will be fine. I think "possibly" they now consider not standing pat with Gardner as their LF.

Granderson, Tex, Cano, ARod, Swisher, Posada, Jeter is still plenty of offense. The Yanks rotation IMO is a bigger issue.

As a Mets fan I love the rivalry Yanks -Sox. Bets in all of sports and the Sox mean biz coming off of last seasons injury plagued year. Lee will get whatever he wants from the Yanks after Crawford deal.

Don't love the deal. Don't hate it either. Crawford always kills the Red Sox too. As long as he stays healthy, he'll produce in Fenway. Very heavy on the lefties in the line-up. Just tryin' to keep up with the Yankees I guess.

So swap Crawford's production for Martinez and Gonzalez for Beltre and add in a healthy Ellsbury, Youk, and Pedroia and the Sox might be the team to be

With Drew, Ortiz, Cameron, Paps and others coming off the books next season, they'll have the room to pay him and Gonzalez next season

Not a fan...Crawford's a good player and the Sox are getting a guy who can put up .300/.360/.450 with a ton of doubles, maybe 20-25 HRs, 50+ SB at a strong clip, and play strong D...Alot of Crawford's value in his younger days comes from his strong range in the OF...

I'm really excited to see if they'll trade for Beltran...put a switch hitting power hitter between Crawford and Gonzalez who can play CF and shade towards RF allowing Crawford to use more of his speed in the OF while the CF and RF with less range have to cover less ground between them...Red Sox are making this offseason interesting...trading for a Beltran might be a deadline thing when the Mets can't rip themselves off.

Not a fan...Crawford's a good player and the Sox are getting a guy who can put up .300/.360/.450 with a ton of doubles, maybe 20-25 HRs, 50+ SB at a strong clip, and play strong D...Alot of Crawford's value in his younger days comes from his strong range in the OF...

I'm really excited to see if they'll trade for Beltran...put a switch hitting power hitter between Crawford and Gonzalez who can play CF and shade towards RF allowing Crawford to use more of his speed in the OF while the CF and RF with less range have to cover less ground between them...Red Sox are making this offseason interesting...trading for a Beltran might be a deadline thing when the Mets can't rip themselves off.

They won't trade for Beltran. They just moved three top prospects for Gonzalez and lost a pick for signing Crawford. Unless the Mets want spare parts, it's not going to happen. They need to focus on the bullpen next and maybe a catcher.

I think it's time to say the days of the Yankees being the big spenders in MLB or over.

Red Sox just spent $300 million in a week

And the Red Sox payroll will still be markedly less than the Yankees. Martinez, Beltre, Hall, and many other contracts came off the books. They haven't added a ton of payroll. Plus when Gonzalez bump happens next season, they'll be losing Drew, Paps, Ortiz, Wakes and other moneys.

And the Red Sox payroll will still be markedly less than the Yankees. Martinez, Beltre, Hall, and many other contracts came off the books. They haven't added a ton of payroll. Plus when Gonzalez bump happens next season, they'll be losing Drew, Paps, Ortiz, Wakes and other moneys.

$300 Million is $300 million in this bad economy no matter how you spin things. Red Sox Nation can never bring up payroll again

Bwa-hahahhahhahaahahahahahaha

ALready making excuses about payroll after spending $300 million

Threads and threads about how the Yanks overspend, an now you get one big slap in the face

The only thing worse than this contract is if the Yanks give Lee the 7th year

Bwa-hahahhahhahaahahahahahaha

ALready making excuses about payroll after spending $300 million

Threads and threads about how the Yanks overspend, an now you get one big slap in the face

The only thing worse than this contract is if the Yanks give Lee the 7th year

The difference between the Yankees and Red Sox Payroll is more than some entire teams spend on payroll.

The Yankees do overspend. The National set a terrible market by overpaying Werth and the Red Sox had to negotiate around that.

The Red Sox payroll will probably still be right around where it was last season. It's the name of the game now. The Red Sox are reactionary in this. They have to be to keep up with the Yankees spending habits.

It gets Crawford off a talented Rays team and onto a less talented Sox team. As a Yankees fan, I'm OK with this.

Boston needed to make a splash, or ticket sales were going to drop after their disastrous 2010. This should keep them sold out. Won't win them the division, though.

$300 Million is $300 million in this bad economy no matter how you spin things. Red Sox Nation can never bring up payroll again

Bad economy is relative...Baseball's money is probably fine.

They won't trade for Beltran. They just moved three top prospects for Gonzalez and lost a pick for signing Crawford. Unless the Mets want spare parts, it's not going to happen. They need to focus on the bullpen next and maybe a catcher.

They won't trade for Beltran NOW...But considering the left handedness of the lineup and the lack of power from the OF....he's going to look mighty good come June/July.

Bad economy is relative...Baseball's money is probably fine.

They won't trade for Beltran NOW...But considering the left handedness of the lineup and the lack of power from the OF....he's going to look mighty good come June/July.

When he's on the DL AGAIN?

It gets Crawford off a talented Rays team and onto a less talented Sox team. As a Yankees fan, I'm OK with this.

Boston needed to make a splash, or ticket sales were going to drop after their disastrous 2010. This should keep them sold out. Won't win them the division, though.

If the Yankees sign Cliff Lee, it'll be between the Sox and the Yanks. The Rays have lost a ton this offseason. Soriano won't be back, they're looking to move Shields and Garza. Pena and Crawford are gone from an already not great offensive team. They have good young pitching, but they'll have to hit too. The way things are constructed now, the Sox are the team to beat in the AL East, but it's still December. If the Yankees don't get Lee and Pettitte retires, they're in some trouble.

They won't need him then either, barring a significant amount of injuries again. And how does Beltran help a lack of power in the outfield? Teams don't have to hit a ton of homeruns to be effective on offense. The Sox will get power from the corner infielders and lots of guys on base for them. Beltran can stay in NY.

And how does Beltran help a lack of power in the outfield?

How does a guy who averages 28 HRs, over 30 doubles, and 70 XBH overall over 162 games not help...power?

Also, he's staying in NY...until June/July...when the Red Sox (or more likely their fans) realize that Ellsbury sucks...or when they're just looking for a strong bat who does't hit from the left side...

How does a guy who averages 28 HRs, over 30 doubles, and 70 XBH overall over 162 games not help...power?

Also, he's staying in NY...until June/July...when the Red Sox (or more likely their fans) realize that Ellsbury sucks...or when they're just looking for a strong bat who does't hit from the left side...

Ellsbury does not suck. Beltran would never play 162 games and if he did, he probably would come close to 28 homers. 20 maybe. The Sox are taking the form of a different team. Long gone are the days of the big middle of the order mashers. They are going to be a little bit speed, a little bit power, and a whole lot of bases runners. Beltran is not a smart move. In any sense. Please take his nuts off of your chin. The Sox don't need him and they won't pay a high price for him, or really any price. I'm sure the Mets would want more than he's worth.

Ellsbury does not suck. Beltran would never play 162 games and if he did, he probably would come close to 28 homers. 20 maybe.

Oh OK...sorry for wasting your time. Coo sentence too.

The Sox are taking the form of a different team. Long gone are the days of the big middle of the order mashers. They are going to be a little bit speed, a little bit power, and a whole lot of bases runners. Beltran is not a smart move. In any sense. Please take his nuts off of your chin. The Sox don't need him and they won't pay a high price for him, or really any price. I'm sure the Mets would want more than he's worth.

I wanted to leave this alone but just wanna say I kinda got a chuckle out of it.

Enjoy the Ellsbury/Cameron joke in CF.

Oh OK...sorry for wasting your time. Coo sentence too.

I wanted to leave this alone but just wanna say I kinda got a chuckle out of it.

Enjoy the Ellsbury/Cameron joke in CF.

I'll enjoy the really good defense, near 100 runs and 70 steals, thanks. Cameron is the 4th outfielder and should probably split time with JD Drew.

Beltran has a long way to go to prove he is even a shadow of his former self. He's 34. Be serious.

I'll enjoy the really good defense, near 100 runs and 70 steals, thanks. Cameron is the 4th outfielder and should probably split time with JD Drew.

Beltran has a long way to go to prove he is even a shadow of his former self. He's 34. Be serious.

That's the best part of the joke! Ellsbury sucks as a defensive CFer...hence the Cameron signing going into 2010...hence the idea of moving him to LF before 2010 opened...

Also long way to go? The guy before his injury was throwing up an OPS over .900, and in the two years before that (also in his low 30s) he OPS'd just below .900. It'd take a miracle for Ellsbury to get close to an .800 OPS.

That's the best part of the joke! Ellsbury sucks as a defensive CFer...hence the Cameron signing going into 2010...hence the idea of moving him to LF before 2010 opened...

Also long way to go? The guy before his injury was throwing up an OPS over .900, and in the two years before that (also in his low 30s) he OPS'd just below .900. It'd take a miracle for Ellsbury to get close to an .800 OPS.

Ellsbury is a very good defensive player. UZR has got him wrong. I judge him by what I see nightly, not some made up stats. Cameron in CF was a mistake from the get go. Which is why Ellsbury is back in CF now.

Yes. A long way to go. He wasn't very good when he came back form injury last season and he'll have to prove he's worth anything by playing well in 2011. Ellsbury doesn't have to OPS .800 in this line-up. He just has to get on base at a decent clip and be a wrecking crew on the basepaths.

Carl Crawford is going to hit about 70 triples this season. With all the funny bounces of the monster in LF and all the real estate in RF. If you're in one of those dopey fantasy leagues that uses triples, he's your guy.

LOL he won't hit more than 5 triples - Fenway is not a triple park by any means...watch his doubles go up a lot though.

Blame the Nationals, they set the market with that ridiculously stupid contract to Werth. Crawford was always going to be signed for more as the top position player available.

Yankees are Cliff Lee or bust now.

The Yanks HAVE to sign Lee. They know it and so does Lee. lol

Ellsbury does not suck. Beltran would never play 162 games and if he did, he probably would come close to 28 homers. 20 maybe. The Sox are taking the form of a different team. Long gone are the days of the big middle of the order mashers. They are going to be a little bit speed, a little bit power, and a whole lot of bases runners. Beltran is not a smart move. In any sense. Please take his nuts off of your chin. The Sox don't need him and they won't pay a high price for him, or really any price. I'm sure the Mets would want more than he's worth.

You betcha they do. Coming off the injury plus the "head case" he seems to be with the Mets they almost must move him. A change of scenery will help Carlos a lot. I'm more than happy with Ellsbury playing CF in Fenway. I wish spring training started tomorrow. B)

beltran's stats from 5 years ago are irrelevent in 2011

he is older, slower and more banged up....and he never was an iron man to begin with if I recall correctly

beltran's stats from 5 years ago are irrelevent in 2011

he is older, slower and more banged up....and he never was an iron man to begin with if I recall correctly

You recall incorrectly, but sure those things apply. Still an elite player who's probably still capable of a high end season. Also one of the league's better athletes...Maybe he's not much of a CF anymore but I think he can pull off .275/.370/.480 or so at the plate next year. Iunno that story's gonna have to play out...Beltran could be able get a nice haul for the Mets and be a big haul for a contender. Or not.

You recall incorrectly, but sure those things apply. Still an elite player who's probably still capable of a high end season. Also one of the league's better athletes...Maybe he's not much of a CF anymore but I think he can pull off .275/.370/.480 or so at the plate next year. Iunno that story's gonna have to play out...Beltran could be able get a nice haul for the Mets and be a big haul for a contender. Or not.

A 34/35 year old guy who has lost foot speed and bat speed and played an average of only 77 games a year the last 2 seasons is no longer elite. He's also whiny and doesn't take direction well. He's Austin Kearns or Gary Sheffield at the end with less power. And he is still making serious money this year. Which means the Mets come July might give him away for a can of magic beans an an infielder from the Lowell Spinners from the Sawx.But all things being equal Beltran is now a less than average OF who cannot stay healthy and for the rest of 2011 has a huge contract number. Suspect Alderson will cut bait at first opportunity only to get rid of him.

Archived