Speaking of salary cap

lancemehl

I might as well be reading the Japanese Wall Street Journal, but I can definitely tell you that Gholston has WAY too much of Woody's money. A couple questions:

DE Vernon Gholston, drafted number 6 overall by the New York Jets in the 2008 NFL Draft, signed a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with the New York Jets on July 24, 2008. The base value of the contract is worth 32.5 million dollars with 21 million dollars in guaranteed money. Gholston will earn base salaries of $295,000(2008), $2,900,000(2009), $3,480,000(2010), $4,060,000(2011) and $4,640,000(2012). Gholston earned a roster bonus of 2.025 million in 2008. There are likely another 7-8 million in easily reachable incentives which can be earned.

How much did he actually get? He couldn't possibly have reached those "easily reachable" incentives, right?

It is now being estimated that the Jets advanced Gholston future salaries of 6.28 million in March, 2009,which will be treated as a signing bonus. Gholstons base salaries were reduced to $1,900,000(2010), $2,000,000(2011) and $2,000,000(2012) to reflect the advance.

On April 19, 2010 the Jets restructured Gholston's contract. Gholston received a 4 million dollar signing bonus at the time of renefotiation and will receive a 2.5 million roster bonus in 2011. Gholston's new base salaries are $2,250,000 (2010), $555,000 (2011), and $650,000 (2012). The new contract contains 19 million in performance incentives. <<again I cant imagine he reached them lol.

Year Salary Cap Number Dead Money if Cut Cap Savings if Cut

2008 $2,320,000 $21,000,000 -$18,680,000

2009 $4,470,000 $18,680,000 -$14,210,000

2010 $5,403,333 $10,960,000 -$5,556,667

2011 $6,208,333 $5,806,667 $401,666

2012 $3,803,334 $2,903,334 $900,000

This sh*t is so confusing. you see the minus signs they put in front of the first three savings years. WTF So is that anti-saving? Why aren't they in front of the 401,666? Because if we could have saved 5 million off the cap by cutting Gholston........

I might as well be reading the Japanese Wall Street Journal, but I can definitely tell you that Gholston has WAY too much of Woody's money. A couple questions:

DE Vernon Gholston, drafted number 6 overall by the New York Jets in the 2008 NFL Draft, signed a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with the New York Jets on July 24, 2008. The base value of the contract is worth 32.5 million dollars with<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow"> 21 million dollars in guaranteed money.</FONT> Gholston will earn base salaries of $295,000(2008), $2,900,000(2009), $3,480,000(2010), $4,060,000(2011) and $4,640,000(2012). Gholston earned a <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">roster bonus of 2.025 million in 2008.There are likely another 7-8 million in easily reachable incentives which can be earned.</FONT>

How much did he actually get? He couldn't possibly have reached those "easily reachable" incentives, right?

It is now being estimated that the Jets <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">advanced Gholston future salaries of 6.28 million in March, 2009,</FONT> which will be treated as a signing bonus. Gholstons base salaries were reduced to $1,900,000(2010), $2,000,000(2011) and $2,000,000(2012) to reflect the advance.

On April 19, 2010 the Jets restructured Gholston's contract. Gholston received a <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow"> 4 million dollar signing bonus at the time of renefotiation and will receive a 2.5 million roster bonus in 2011. </FONT> Gholston's new base salaries are $2,250,000 (2010), $555,000 (2011), and $650,000 (2012). The new contract contains <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow"> 19 million in performance incentives.</FONT> <b><<again I cant imagine.</b>

This sh*t is so confusing. you see the minus signs they put in front of the first three savings years. WTF So is that anti-saving? Why aren't they in front of the 401,666? Because if we could have saved 5 million off the cap by cutting Gholston........

I wish I could help you, but I really don't even know what language I was just reading

DE Vernon Gholston, drafted number 6 overall by the New York Jets in the 2008 NFL Draft, signed a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with the New York Jets on July 24, 2008. The base value of the contract is worth 32.5 million dollars with 21 million dollars in guaranteed money. Gholston will earn base salaries of $295,000(2008), $2,900,000(2009), $3,480,000(2010), $4,060,000(2011) and $4,640,000(2012). Gholston earned a roster bonus of 2.025 million in 2008. There are likely another 7-8 million in easily reachable incentives which can be earned.

It is now being estimated that the Jets advanced Gholston future salaries of 6.28 million in March, 2009,which will be treated as a signing bonus. Gholstons base salaries were reduced to $1,900,000(2010), $2,000,000(2011) and $2,000,000(2012) to reflect the advance.

On April 19, 2010 the Jets restructured Gholston's contract. Gholston received a 4 million dollar signing bonus at the time of renefotiation and will receive a 2.5 million roster bonus in 2011. Gholston's new base salaries are $2,250,000 (2010), $555,000 (2011), and $650,000 (2012). The new contract contains 19 million in performance incentives. <<again I cant imagine he reached them lol.

Those numbers are the cap hits they take if they cut him. When they cut him after this season they will save that 400k because his signing bonus will have already been pro rated over the first 3 years.

The negative numbers reflect how much savings you get by cutting him. A positive number means you save cap space by cutting him. A negative one means it costs more cap dollars to release the player than retain him.

As for the Ghost he never reached those additional easy incentives in his original deal. Those were based on playing time. He had to participate in 35% of the snaps as a rookie or 45% of the snaps in any year after. Those typically trigger bonuses that many referred to as a "log bonus" because earning them was as easy as falling off a log, unless you are Vernon Gholston of course.

The Ghost did reach his performance incentives that were in the renegotiation. He had three ways of earning that money, though none of it is guaranteed. They were to register one sack (could not do it), recover a fumble (you have to be willing to go to the ground for that one so there was no chance for this), or play in 20% of the snaps (just barely made it). Due to that he is given a 9.1M dollar bonus next season if he is not cut before the bonus is due (which is probably March 5th). Clearly he will be cut or have his deal amended.

When it is all mercifully over in a few weeks he will have pocketed 18 million dollars for dominating Jake Long in a college game and doing a bunch of bicep curls before the draft. Not a bad way to make a living.

The negative numbers reflect how much savings you get by cutting him. A positive number means you save cap space by cutting him. A negative one means it costs more cap dollars to release the player than retain him.

As for the Ghost he never reached those additional easy incentives in his original deal. Those were based on playing time. He had to participate in 35% of the snaps as a rookie or 45% of the snaps in any year after. Those typically trigger bonuses that many referred to as a "log bonus" because earning them was as easy as falling off a log, unless you are Vernon Gholston of course.

The Ghost did reach his performance incentives that were in the renegotiation. He had three ways of earning that money, though none of it is guaranteed. They were to register one sack (could not do it), recover a fumble (you have to be willing to go to the ground for that one so there was no chance for this), or play in 20% of the snaps (just barely made it). Due to that he is given a 9.1M dollar bonus next season if he is not cut before the bonus is due (which is probably March 5th). Clearly he will be cut or have his deal amended.

When it is all mercifully over in a few weeks he will have pocketed 18 million dollars for dominating Jake Long in a college game and doing a bunch of bicep curls before the draft. Not a bad way to make a living.

Good stuff, man. Thanks. I guess it's obvious why they kept him on board for this long, and it makes perfect sense why Rex and the guys tried to give him every opportunity to contribute and were nice to him (calling him "Vern". lol)

I think it's safe to say that Vern has seen the inside of the facility for the last time. lol I just hope he put some $ away.

*It's not the first time a NY athlete has made a fortune just for showing up. I think Eddy Curry will agree

Is it correct that his restructure was just for this purpose? I know a lot of press was saying he gave money back and you have stated that he didn't. My understanding was that the main purpose of his restructure was to take advantage of the uncapped year to make it possible to cut him without taking a beating on the (future) cap. Is that true or was that a figment of the presses imagination too? I'd like to know that The Accountant was doing his job.

Is it correct that his restructure was just for this purpose? I know a lot of press was saying he gave money back and you have stated that he didn't. My understanding was that the main purpose of his restructure was to take advantage of the uncapped year to make it possible to cut him without taking a beating on the (future) cap. Is that true or was that a figment of the presses imagination too? I'd like to know that The Accountant was doing his job.

I'll let Sperm or Jason answer it for sure, but my understanding of it was that it was meant to soften the blow of cutting him next year, while still giving him the opportunity to perform by giving him playing time since they reduced the snap % bonus to a lower percentage. Like Jason said, he's either cut or restructured to a team friendly deal. Not an expert though.

I'll let Sperm or Jason answer it for sure, but my understanding of it was that it was meant to soften the blow of cutting him next year, while still giving him the opportunity to perform by giving him playing time since they reduced the snap % bonus to a lower percentage. Like Jason said, he's either cut or restructured to a team friendly deal. Not an expert though.

if he is restructured i'd be shocked. cut him, take the 500k savings, and ban him from the facility for life.

No one truly knows why except Tannenbaum and his inner circle. But the way the numbers work out makes too much sense for it to be pure coincidence. Next year it will be a cap savings (however minor) if Gholston is cut. It would have been a net additional cap hit otherwise (in other words, it would have cost less against the cap to keep him).

I think he's gone. In addition to his obvious lack of production, I don't think Rex is that high on a low-production guy with Gholston's - let's call it toned-down - personality. If he didn't reach that incentive with his playing time, I think he'd still be gone. Only difference is he would have had trade value then. Now, with a huge bonus due in March, no one's going to give up anything (or much of anything) just to have an inside lane on acquiring a 3-year bust. But either way, his absence now clears the way for another player; he might have (indirectly) cost another player if he was cut/traded without the restructure.

No one truly knows why except Tannenbaum and his inner circle. But the way the numbers work out makes too much sense for it to be pure coincidence. Next year it will be a cap savings (however minor) if Gholston is cut. It would have been a net additional cap hit otherwise (in other words, it would have cost less against the cap to keep him).

I think he's gone. In addition to his obvious lack of production, I don't think Rex is that high on a low-production guy with Gholston's - let's call it toned-down - personality. If he didn't reach that incentive with his playing time, I think he'd still be gone. Only difference is he would have had trade value then. Now, with a huge bonus due in March, no one's going to give up anything (or much of anything) just to have an inside lane on acquiring a 3-year bust. But either way, his absence now clears the way for another player; he might have (indirectly) cost another player if he was cut/traded without the restructure.

I think that one of the purposes of the restructure was to encourage the team to cut him sooner rather than later. That is a win-win. The team can move on and he can try to go somewhere that fits his style. I honestly think he probably belongs in the NFL as a rotational DE/ST guy. He doesn't seem to have the kind of ego that will preclude him from sticking around on lesser deals. Only way to tell is to see what happens when the bonus is due. I'd be interested in seeing if he insists on testing the market or tries to restructure to stay. It doesn't seem that he is a Rex guy and they probably don't want him back, but he actually played a fair number of snaps at 2 positions and the D still played at a high level, so he might have a place on the field in the correct system.

I believe that is pretty much what they did. In theory they could have cut him this year and got away cap free, but with such a huge investment I think they wanted to see if they could get one more look at him. I was told that the upfront money was pure signing bonus meaning it will hit the cap next year if he is cut, but Im not 100% certain about that. Just a guess but Gholstons agent probably forced the Jets into that arrangement for giving up some other incentive based guarantees that were in the original deal. My guess is he assumed if Gholston played well enough the cap charge for cutting him might be high enough for the Jets to offer him a modest 3 year extension rather than cutting him outright. At this point that is pretty doubtful, but I guess we will see this week. I think he could be active so maybe he makes 1 play that gives him a job next year.

I honestly think he probably belongs in the NFL as a rotational DE/ST guy.

I honestly think he's done with the NFL. He's already pocketed $18M, and the only offers he'd even possibly get would be league minimum tryout deals. Why bother? He can open a string of gyms with his name and picture out front (Ohio would be a better place to start the franchise than NY), and workout all day. Maybe put his name on some diet supplements, too. Guy has a bright future.

Archived