Nedney to 49ers

faba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers sign kicker Nedney

Kevin Lynch, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Less than a week after losing kicker Todd Peterson to a free-agent deal with the Falcons, the 49ers signed former Titans kicker and San Jose native Joe Nedney.

Nedney, a former Raider, agreed to a one-year deal Wednesday night, according to his agent. Nedney, who turns 32 on March 22, has missed the last two seasons with injuries.

He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on opening day of the 2003 season while making a tackle against Oakland. A week before this last season, Nedney tore a hamstring in left leg.

"Those two injuries were really unrelated," agent Bob Lamonte said. "He's healthy now."

This will be Nedney's seventh team in a decade-long career. He also sustained a torn left ACL in 1998 while kicking for Arizona.

This will also be a homecoming for Nedney, who attended San Jose's Santa Teresa High and kicked at San Jose State. Nedney and his wife, Gina, bought a home in Scotts Valley (Santa Cruz County) three weeks ago.

Coach Mike Nolan said Tuesday that he would like to get a kicker signed so he wouldn't have to consider drafting one.

"You might get lucky and a guy's value is just right to take him. Whether we draft him or not, I'm hopeful that we get something before then," Nolan said

Brien's replacement has one fewer option available- sorry Max.

Reed was signed longterm about a week ago, before Nedney was signed.

Is Feely still around?

Feely signed with the Giants. He and Reed signed on the same day, which was either Monday or Tuesday. More like 2 or 3 days than a week.

Exactly. So I wasn't incorrect to say that Nedney was, at the time he was signed, the best kicker available.

I thought you meant for the entire offseason. You gotta be more specific.

And I'm sure there's some kicker out there that isn't a walking injury who's better than Nedney. His name isn't Doug Brien, though.

I thought you meant for the entire offseason. You gotta be more specific.

And I'm sure there's some kicker out there that isn't a walking injury who's better than Nedney. His name isn't Doug Brien, though.

There OUGHT to be a better kicker out there, but I can't name any. I would have to assume that Brien will be back, as much we all hope otherwise.

Archived