Jets' Cromartie rips union, owners

THE ILK

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Jets-Antonio-Cromartie-calls-union-and-NFL-leaders-expletive-012411

Updated Jan 24, 2011 7:24 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)

New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie voiced his displeasure Monday with the ongoing labor negotiations between the NFL and the NFL Players Association, the New York Daily News reported.

Cromartie blasted both sides, each of whom have signaled frustration with the inability to come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement.

“Honestly, I don’t give a damn if they get mad at me or not,” Cromartie said. “But it’s getting to the point where it’s getting ridiculous when everything is always dealing with money. You’re basically dealing with people’s livelihoods. ... You’re dealing with hundreds of thousands of other people in this workplace from the venues to everyone else. To me, you need to stop bitching about it. If you want to say that you want to get into a room and meet. Then, do it. Don’t just talk about it.”

FOXSports.com reported Wednesday that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was growing frustrated as the two sides have failed to hold a session with full bargaining committees since before Thanksgiving.

"There's not enough communication," Goodell said after a special NFL owners meeting last week.

On Sunday, Goodell was forced to deflect a comment by NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, who reportedly told a group of players that the union was “at war” with the league to strike a deal before the March 4 deadline.

"This is not anywhere near a war," Goodell said on NFL Network. "This is a business dispute that we've got to get resolved."

The latest banter set off the Jets cornerback the day after he and his teammates failed to reach the Super Bowl following a second straight AFC title game appearance.

“You got our head union rep acting like an a$$...,” Cromartie added. “They got their guys acting like a$$... . So they just need to get their (expletive) together and just get it done.”

As a player, your career is finite. So the frustration is understandable. If a player loses one year of earnings he is not getting it back ever. Which is the owner's biggest card to play. There is a big pile of money to divvy up. The players should get better health benefits, especially for retired guys who suffer from the injuries that are a given in a collision sport. And also their pension benefits should vest sooner than 3 years. That's all very doable if the owners are smart enough not to cancel a season, and the players push for those simple reforms.

If it's about DeMaurice Smith's ego, see you in 2012.

Gives the Players Union the revenue sharing they ask for in return for a rookie salary cap. Shelve the 18 game schedule for 2 years while analysis is done to determine what adjustments will be necessary to accommodate this. An 18 game schedule is a HUGE adjustment to the game. It requires larger in season rosters and practice squads, as well as some changes to the practice squad rules in terms of players being able to be signed off of it. To hastily jump into that is a big mistake for both sides and a disservice to the fans.

The bottom line is the players want a piece of the pie and they deserve it. The owners want to not destroy their franchise for 5 years when they draft a crappy player very high in the draft, and they deserve that as well. Bottom line is they really should not be threatening to kill the golden goose.

Before anyone makes any stupid-a$$ children jokes, he is absolutely spot on. I would have to imagine if I'm a player, this is exactly what I'm thinking. I love the fact the he says it, he's real.

what's so stupid about remarking on the fact that Cromartie has a boatload of child support to pay and he needs to get paid? He needs his job.....instead of taking money out of whatever savings/investments he may now have....c'mon now.

I do agree with him, it just would have a stronger impact coming from....I 'dunno, Jason Taylor? Nick Mangold? Someone that does not have 9 kids from seven different mothers in six different states.

what's so stupid about remarking on the fact that Cromartie has a boatload of child support to pay and he needs to get paid? He needs his job.....instead of taking money out of whatever savings/investments he may now have....c'mon now.

I do agree with him, it just would have a stronger impact coming from....I 'dunno, Jason Taylor? Nick Mangold? Someone that does not have 9 kids from seven different mothers in six different states.

Whats the difference?

Whats the difference?

Image.

If JT says this, you (well, me) pays attention. Clean enough image. Isn't a dog. Can probably name all his children. It's just the way it is. If Ben Rothlisberger did a public service announcement about safe sex, would you buy into it?

Queen High Horse ascends her cloud and you're actually asking why?

Its amusing.

Image.

If JT says this, you (well, me) pays attention. Clean enough image. Isn't a dog. Can probably name all his children.

What does image have to do with content? What he is saying is 100% accurate. Besides, he's never done anything wrong. He's not breaking laws. He's got a bunch of illegitimate children, no law against that. Besides, this isnt anything new in professional sports. Doesnt TB have a illegitimate child?

Its amusing.

What does image have to do with content? What he is saying is 100% accurate. Besides, he's never done anything wrong. He's not breaking laws. He's got a bunch of illegitimate children, no law against that. Besides, this isnt anything new in professional sports. Doesnt TB have a illegitimate child?

In this day in age, image has a lot to do with things, unfortunately. Regardless of it's validity (and it probably is not valid) the message is diminished in some eyes because of the "image" of the person sending the message.

Yes, lots of athletes have children out of committed relationships, but none that I recall had issues naming them on TV. Creates a lasting impression and hurts his "image" - just sayin'.

Mr. Brady has 1 child out of wedlock, yes.

These are my opinions from above the clouds. I thought I would share. It's not fun just seeing you're views and the views of your righteous mafia buds.

............Doesnt TB have a illegitimate child?

Stop it, just you stop it! You know we can't rank on the ever-so-clean Tom Brady for leaving his ex high and dry to go be with a supermodel. It was clearly in God's plan. Now please stay on topic and discuss how Cromartie's next illegitimate will be the resurrection of Judas himself.

In this day in age, image has a lot to do with things, unfortunately. Regardless of it's validity (and it probably is not valid) the message is diminished in some eyes because of the "image" of the person sending the message.

Yes, lots of athletes have children out of committed relationships, but none that I recall had issues naming them on TV. Creates a lasting impression and hurts his "image" - just sayin'.

Mr. Brady has 1 child out of wedlock, yes.

These are my opinions from above the clouds. I thought I would share. It's not fun just seeing you're views and the views of your righteous mafia buds.

Dont know what that means...but o.k.

You might be right...if coming from someone else they might take him more seriously. Whats important though, is someone said it, and there will be plenty who agree and get his back. No matter how many children he has or can remember.

Dont know what that means...but o.k.

You might be right...if coming from someone else they might take him more seriously. Whats important though, is someone said it, and there will be plenty who agree and get his back. No matter how many children he has or can remember.

I will be the first to admit that this whole CBA/Looming lockout/Union Negotiations has me confused. Can someone give me the readers digest version of the main issues? I promise to have the answers. :cool: LOL!

I've been waiting for a player to come and and say this all year I'm just shocked its Cro. The president of the players union has been sh*tting the bed big time all year with the labor issues, he is doing a horrendous job for the players.

It looks bad.

The NFLPA has already filed collusion charges against the owners. The owners want an 18 game schedule and for the players to take approximately 10% less revenue.

Also..... the MLB learned their lesson in 1995, rarely anyone attended the games.

So did the NHL in 2006, any popularity they had in the USA dropped like a rock

Thankfully they got most (in the NHL's case, a bunch of new fans) of their fans back.

Would roger goodell and the players union risk the Super Bowl NOT getting record viewers like the last 3? Thought so! So they better do it or else kiss gigantic ratings goodbye and the churches will get more attendances!

Archived