Free Agents: Safety Position

Integrity28

Rams release FS Atogwe to avoid $8M bonus

Rams released FS O.J. Atogwe.

Atogwe was due an $8M roster bonus on the 21st, and the Rams clearly had no plans to pay it. Though Atogwe had expressed desire to stay in St. Louis, he'd be smart to shop his wares on the market. Unlike most unrestricted free agents, Atogwe doesn't have to wait for a new CBA to sign elsewhere. He also turns 30 this summer, and won't have many more chances like this to hit it big.

Texans cut five, including FS Eugene Wilson

Texans released FS Eugene Wilson, WR Andre' Davis, LB Isaiah Greenhouse, LB Darnell Bing, and DT DeMario Pressley.

Combined, the five cuts save Houston $9.7 million in projected 2011 salary, with Wilson ($3.56 million) and Davis ($4.7 million) saving the most. Wilson, 30, had 13 starts last season, but didn't contribute to a single turnover. In terms of coverage, Pro Football Focus graded him as the third worst safety in the NFL among 85 playing-time qualifiers. Only Cowboys FS Alan Ball and perennially overrated Antrel Rolle of the Giants graded out worse.

Colts cut former Defensive POY Bob Sanders

Colts released SS Bob Sanders.

The only surprise is that the two sides couldn't come to a mutual agreement on a restructured deal. Sanders, having played just nine games in the past three years, was never going to see the $12.5 million over the final two years of his deal. The two-time All-Pro has undergone multiple knee operations plus surgery to both biceps, a shoulder, and an elbow since winning the 2007 Defensive Player of the Year award. He's going to have to accept an incentive-laden contract with very little guaranteed money on his next contract. The Colts haven't ruled out bringing him back after he explores the free agent market.

Damn... could you imagine if we added Otogwe and Sanders, kept Leonard and Pool? Drooling...

Hopefully Zbikowski becomes free agent hes a beast just cant shine bc he plays behind Ed Reed. Also prolly get him for cheap unlike all the bigger named guys that got cut.

We've already reached our quota for white safeties. You're only allowed .043% of one before you start to become non-competitive.

Just some thoughts:

Cut: http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Brunnell save 1.3

Taylor save 2.3

BT save 3.7

LT save 2.4

Woody save 3.2

Jenkins save 4.6

Ghoslton 0.5

Leonhard 2.0

Potential Estimated Cap Savings: $20 million

FA List (2010 Base Salaries off the books) http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/New-York-Jets-Salaries

Ellis -3.4

Weatherford -0.5

Pool -1.3

Richardson -0.9

Edwards -4.3

Hunter -1.2

Pryce -0.3

Cromartie -1.2

Laury -0.6

Holmes -0.6

E.Smith -1.1

B.Smith -1.8

D.Coleman -0.8

Clemens -0.7

Ihedigbo -1.0

Turner -0.4

Harris -0.9

Estimated Base Salary Savings vs 2010: $21 million

Potentially $41 million off the books between FA base salary from last year and what could be cap cuts this year. HOWEVER this doesn't take into consideration annual raises of players like Sanchez which jumps from 6.5 to 13.5 and D'Brick 0.6 to 5.6 and Mangold 0.9 to 2.2= roughly $13.3 million in increased based salary...which gives $27.7 million (41 mil - 13.3) with a sh*t load of open roster spots.

Certainly not an exact science (I'm using jasons cap numbers and this other sites base salary numbers) Given there is SO many more variables involved and maybe I'm way off in my logic but this at least gives an idea of potentially issues. good luck Tanny.

Just some thoughts:

Cut: http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Brunnell save 1.3

Taylor save 2.3

BT save 3.7

LT save 2.4

Woody save 3.2

Jenkins save 4.6

Ghoslton 0.5

Leonhard 2.0

FA List (2010 Base Salaries off the books) http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/New-York-Jets-Salaries

Ellis -3.4

Weatherford -0.5

Pool -1.3

Richardson -0.9

Edwards -4.3

Hunter -1.2

Pryce -0.3

Cromartie -1.2

Laury -0.6

Holmes -0.6

E.Smith -1.1

B.Smith -1.8

D.Coleman -0.8

Clemens -0.7

Ihedigbo -1.0

Turner -0.4

Harris -0.9

Estimated Base Salary Savings vs 2010: $21 million

Potentially $41 million off the books between FA base salary from last year and what could be cap cuts this year. HOWEVER this doesn't take into consideration annual raises of players like Sanchez which jumps from 6.5 to 13.5 and D'Brick 0.6 to 5.6 and Mangold 0.9 to 2.2= roughly $13.3 million in increased based salary...which gives $27.7 million (41 mil - 13.3) with a sh*t load of open roster spots.

Certainly not an exact science (I'm using jasons cap numbers and this other sites base salary numbers) Given there is SO many more variables involved and maybe I'm way off in my logic but this at least gives an idea of potentially issues. good luck Tanny.

Heh. No small task at all... this is why I try not to buy jerseys anymore...

Ok here's a better way of looking at it:

Jets current Salary Cap Value is at $120 million. http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Cut:

Brunnell save 1.3

Taylor save 2.3

BT save 3.7

LT save 2.4

Woody save 3.2

Jenkins save 4.6

Ghoslton 0.5

Leonhard 2.0

Current Estimated Cap with cuts could be roughly $100 million.

Now take a look at 2010 NFL Salaries by team: http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

If this site is even close to being correct the Raiders had the highest payroll at $152 million.

So let's say Woody is willing to break the bank a little bit and if you want to play GM than you can potentially look at roughly $50 million to play with. But you have to take into consideration all FA's and roster cuts above to get to $100 million current cap. That's a lot of roster holes.

Hopefully Zbikowski becomes free agent hes a beast just cant shine bc he plays behind Ed Reed. Also prolly get him for cheap unlike all the bigger named guys that got cut.

Met him a few times at Baltimore Boxing Club when I lived on the harbor. Cool dude, real humble, actually was keeping his ring skills sharp in the event that the lockout lasts for an extended period of time.

Dude you are the WORST person to talk hypotheticals with. And that's all I'm doing btw. I'm trying to figure different scenerios where maybe there is room for a Bob Sanders etc.

We have 3 RBs LT,SG and JM. Who carries the ball? Is BTW what in saying. You also left out Jenkins the next biggest waste of money on the roster next to Gholston.

Check this list out.

http://nyjetscap.com/freeagents.html

Ok here's a better way of looking at it:

Jets current Salary Cap Value is at $120 million. http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Cut:

Brunnell save 1.3

Taylor save 2.3

BT save 3.7

LT save 2.4

Woody save 3.2

Jenkins save 4.6

Ghoslton 0.5

Leonhard 2.0

Current Estimated Cap with cuts could be roughly $100 million.

Now take a look at 2010 NFL Salaries by team: http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

If this site is even close to being correct the Raiders had the highest payroll at $152 million.

So let's say Woody is willing to break the bank a little bit and if you want to play GM than you can potentially look at roughly $50 million to play with. But you have to take into consideration all FA's and roster cuts above to get to $100 million current cap. That's a lot of roster holes.

Just to play with this idea a little bit more b/c I'm bored. Let's pretend these guys are all cut and include all current FA's and at 100 million in cap they are looking to spend another 50 million in 2011 salary. Again this is sh*t and giggles if the Jets were to spend up to around 150M and would cut the above.

Signing with base 2011 annual salary (and I do realize there is so much more involved given future years but):

Harris $5M: they would need to figure out a long term deal and maybe offer a little more guaranteed.

Edwards $7.5M

Holmes $7.5M

Asomugha: $10M

Bob Sanders: $5M (incentive laden)

Kamerion Wimbley: $3M

Hunter: $1.5M (incentive laden)

Turner: $0.5M

D.Coleman: $1M

Clemens: $1M

Ihedigbo: $1M

Pool: $1M

O'Connell: $0.5 (or another 3rd string qb)

Total $45M spend ($145M cap) with some space to spend on signing draft picks

Roster:

QB: Sanchez, Clemens, O'Connell

WR: Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Turner, 4th round pick

TE: Keller, 3rd round pick, Cumberland

RB: Greene, McNight, 5th round pick

FB: Connor, 7 round pick

OL: D'Brick, Slauson, Mangold, Moore, Ducasse, Hunter, Turner

DL: DeVito, Pouha, 1st round pick, Pitoitua, Gilbert, Dixon

ILB: Harris, Scott, Mauga, 6 round pick

OLB: Pace, Wimbley/Westerman

CB: Revis, Asomugha, Wilson, Colman, Cole

S: Sanders, Pool/Lowery, Ihedigbo, Cook

We have 3 RBs LT,SG and JM. Who carries the ball? Is BTW what in saying. You also left out Jenkins the next biggest waste of money on the roster next to Gholston.

Check this list out.

http://nyjetscap.com/freeagents.html

You don't even bother reading peoples posts. I use jason's site as reference multiple times already and I didn't leave Jenkins out.

Before we got Pool last offseason, I wanted Otagwe. I know he was a little expensive, but if we can get him at a good price, he's the guy I want. Like Pool, he was an above average player on a below average team.

I think Otagwe is a good player but highly overrated on the boards. He gets hurt often. He doesn't miss many games, but he's often dinged, misiing drives, halves, etc. Many Rams fans weren't that happy with him. He has been paid a ton of money and will expect more of the same. Nice signing if he came reasonably. He won't. If they signed Sanders and Atogwe, the team would still need another four safeties.

Hess: If you are trying to save money, why the **** would you give Clemens $1M? They'd only end up saving $300K after cutting Brunell and they obviously like Brunell better.

I think the Raiders picked up Wimbley's option.

I'm not sure what significance you are applying to the Raiders $150M. What anybody has on the books for 2011 or 2010 is irrelevant. The owners want to lower the cap from the #129M or so it was in 2009. Hitting $150M is probably unlikely.

I think Otagwe is a good player but highly overrated on the boards. He gets hurt often. He doesn't miss many games, but he's often dinged, misiing drives, halves, etc. Many Rams fans weren't that happy with him. He has been paid a ton of money and will expect more of the same. Nice signing if he came reasonably. He won't. If they signed Sanders and Atogwe, the team would still need another four safeties.

Hess: If you are trying to save money, why the **** would you give Clemens $1M? They'd only end up saving $300K after cutting Brunell and they obviously like Brunell better.

I think the Raiders picked up Wimbley's option.

I'm not sure what significance you are applying to the Raiders $150M. What anybody has on the books for 2011 or 2010 is irrelevant. The owners want to lower the cap from the #129M or so it was in 2009. Hitting $150M is probably unlikely.

No, definitely not trying to save money but spend it. All I'm saying is the Raiders had the highest cap in 2010 at 152M. So it can be done. Just saying Brunell was done 3 years ago, they spent roughly 2.3M on backup QBs last year I'm saying lets spend 1.5M. I think you're right with the Raiders picking up Wimbley's option. Again, just playing with numbers and players of the top of my head. And I don't see the Cap being lowered ever. I do agree 150M is probably not happening. Again just playing different scenerios. Not too serious and daydreaming a bit I know.

No, definitely not trying to save money but spend it. All I'm saying is the Raiders had the highest cap in 2010 at 152M. So it can be done. Just saying Brunell was done 3 years ago, they spent roughly 2.3M on backup QBs last year I'm saying lets spend 1.5M. I think you're right with the Raiders picking up Wimbley's option. Again, just playing with numbers and players of the top of my head. And I don't see the Cap being lowered ever. I do agree 150M is probably not happening. Again just playing different scenerios. Not too serious and daydreaming a bit I know.

Spending money is fine. Spending money on Kellen Clemens is not. The $2.3M in 2010 was on 4 players.

There was no cap in 2010. The Raiders had the highest salaries. Not the same thing at all. The NFL cap is a hard cap, not like the NBA. You can't go over it. You may not see the cap being lowered, but the owners do, that's why they are going to lock the players out. The cap for 2009 was around $129M. Only five teams on the list you provided were over that. The top two, Al Davis and Jerry Jones would be expected to do anything they can to **** the NFL. The Vikings went over by about $4M, but could easily save that much as soon as a cap returned by cutting Favre. The only other two over (Browns and Saints) were within a couple of million and could probably easily drop back down. Using the Raiders as a guide it a very bad idea.

The CBA also has had a salary floor. I think it's 75% of the cap. Teams must spend that much on salaries. 7 or 8 teams were under it, including the Pats, Ravens and super bowl champion Packers. The Chiefs were around $15M under!

BTW: I think you crashed Jason's site. Strange the poor guy would have bandwidth problems with a cap site when there is no cap! I hope he gets it back up soon, he has been writing some real good stuff lately, including an interesting piece evaluating Braylon Edward's worth.

Total $45M spend ($145M cap) with some space to spend on signing draft picks

Roster:

QB: Sanchez, Clemens, O'Connell

WR: Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Turner, 4th round pick

TE: Keller, 3rd round pick, Cumberland

RB: Greene, McNight, 5th round pick

FB: Connor, 7 round pick

OL: D'Brick, Slauson, Mangold, Moore, Ducasse, Hunter, Turner

DL: DeVito, Pouha, 1st round pick, Pitoitua, Gilbert, Dixon

ILB: Harris, Scott, Mauga, 6 round pick

OLB: Pace, Wimbley/Westerman

CB: Revis, Asomugha, Wilson, Colman, Cole

S: Sanders, Pool/Lowery, Ihedigbo, Cook

I don't mind your lineup too much. I think there is too much change for the sake of change, but otherwise, what's the purpose of posting on a message borad?

I do not see them cutting Leonhard loose. Pool is not under contract. If they sign Sanders they might not resign Pool and hold on to Leonhard. I also do not like the idea of cutting both Taylor and Thomas. One or the other? Sure, but the team was a little too good to blow up by cutting guys under contract with all those FAs. If it's my team I am not carrying a 2nd FB or 4th QB (I see you didn't). I'd like to keep LT again. I think he was fine and he's not that pricey. Hartsock and Mulligan are under contract at TE. Mulligan is dirt cheap, but Hartsock makes $1.6M. IMO at least one will be back as blocking TE.

I think there was an old cap rule about old vets like Richardson where they cost less than their salary against the cap - at least if they were vet min or low priced guys. The purpose was to keep teams from dumping vets to stay under the cap. Not sure how it applied, but I'm not sure they would get that benefit for Brunell, LT or Taylor. Something to keep an eye on with any new CBA.

I'd like to keep Ellis, but they don't seem to care. I think Rex might not like him that much when you consider he was allegedly shopped with Faneca during the draft.

BTW: I think you crashed Jason's site. Strange the poor guy would have bandwidth problems with a cap site when there is no cap! I hope he gets it back up soon, he has been writing some real good stuff lately, including an interesting piece evaluating Braylon Edward's worth.

Ooops sorry Jason lol. It is a great source for info if not the best. Hey I've never said I was any kind of cap wiz, I've actually barely paid attention to salary/cap numbers over the years as a fan (besides a few posts here and there). Like i've said I'm just playing around with numbers and players. It's usually the best way to learn what you don't know imo. I appreciate your replies #27.

I don't mind your lineup too much. I think there is too much change for the sake of change, but otherwise, what's the purpose of posting on a message borad?

I do not see them cutting Leonhard loose. Pool is not under contract. If they sign Sanders they might not resign Pool and hold on to Leonhard. I also do not like the idea of cutting both Taylor and Thomas. One or the other? Sure, but the team was a little too good to blow up by cutting guys under contract with all those FAs. If it's my team I am not carrying a 2nd FB or 4th QB (I see you didn't). I'd like to keep LT again. I think he was fine and he's not that pricey. Hartsock and Mulligan are under contract at TE. Mulligan is dirt cheap, but Hartsock makes $1.6M. IMO at least one will be back as blocking TE.

I think there was an old cap rule about old vets like Richardson where they cost less than their salary against the cap - at least if they were vet min or low priced guys. The purpose was to keep teams from dumping vets to stay under the cap. Not sure how it applied, but I'm not sure they would get that benefit for Brunell, LT or Taylor. Something to keep an eye on with any new CBA.

I'd like to keep Ellis, but they don't seem to care. I think Rex might not like him that much when you consider he was allegedly shopped with Faneca during the draft.

I don't see them cutting Leonhard either, not on Rex's watch. I did throw in that they'd resign Pool. I agree they'd probably keep Leonhard over Pool. Please God get Taylor out of here, and Thomas is overpaid imo. Wouldn't mind seeing them get a lot younger there. But good point about cutting contracted vets with all those FAs. Tbh There are SO many cap rules I would rather just listen to guys like yourself and jason rather than look into all that crap. Oh and visa too, I always listen to visa. That guy knows EVERYTHING.

Ooops sorry Jason lol. It is a great source for info if not the best. Hey I've never said I was any kind of cap wiz, I've actually barely paid attention to salary/cap numbers over the years as a fan (besides a few posts here and there). Like i've said I'm just playing around with numbers and players. It's usually the best way to learn what you don't know imo. I appreciate your replies #27.

I don't see them cutting Leonhard either, not on Rex's watch. I did throw in that they'd resign Pool. I agree they'd probably keep Leonhard over Pool. Please God get Taylor out of here, and Thomas is overpaid imo. Wouldn't mind seeing them get a lot younger there. But good point about cutting contracted vets with all those FAs. Tbh There are SO many cap rules I would rather just listen to guys like yourself and jason rather than look into all that crap. Oh and visa too, I always listen to visa. That guy knows EVERYTHING.

The important thing now is that there are NO cap rules. We are all starting from scratch. You're right, running the numbers and posting is usually the best way to lean this stuff. If you are way off base, Sperm or Jason will usually set you right or maybe Aten will make you feel like an a$$.

As for personnel, I am very happy with the team as currently constructed. Only items to worry about are progress by Sanchez, coverage by LBs/S, more pass rush. Nothing can help Sanchez except for luck and coaching. A ballhawk/fast safety could help the D on all three levels. They will need to replace the FAs or replace them. I probably like Wilson more than most, but I think they need another CB of they don't sign Cromartie. I'm worried about Woody breaking down, so I think Hunter is important. I have never been a fan of Thomas and have very little problem with dumping him. I like Taylor and Tomlinson, but I see them as luxuries. I think that people expect to rely as every down players and they can't perform at a high level with too many reps.

Archived