QB dept. : " Sheer luck buoyed Mark Sanchez's stats " ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So then its not official.

This is kind of useless argument and I'm pretty much over it already, but the article/stat is stupid because so many factors come into play.

What if it was after a big penalty that negated a first? That attempt may have never happened.

What if it was directly after a dropped pass by a WR, that would have been a first. That attempt may have never happened.

What if the defender just covered a WR on 3 go routes and was gassed but couldnt come out because we were in a hurry up?

I could keep going but I'm over it because I dont see the point in arguing something that almost happened.

You do realize that any of those situations are applicable for conventional stats as well. Sanchez throws a td:

What if the DB didn't fall down?

What if the safety didn't miss his assignment?

What if the play before the lb missed the tackle and the RB took it to the house?

What if the LT didn't hold his block?

What if we weren't playing the dulphins today?

You'll have to do better then this

Sacks are pretty easy to track. Tracking something that almost happened, not so much.

What is the OL he was facing was injured?

WHat if the QB didn't hold the ball so long?

What if the OC called less pass plays?

What if the run game was woring better, creating less third and longs?

WHat if the secondary didn't cover so good?

You do realize that any of those situations are applicable for conventional stats as well. Sanchez throws a td:

What if the DB didn't fall down?

What if the safety didn't miss his assignment?

What if the play before the lb missed the tackle and the RB took it to the house?

What if the LT didn't hold his block?

What if we weren't playing the dulphins today?

You'll have to do better then this

The only difference is, TD's are tracked because they happened...not almost happened.

What is the OL he was facing was injured?

WHat if the QB didn't hold the ball so long?

What if the OC called less pass plays?

What if the run game was woring better, creating less third and longs?

WHat if the secondary didn't cover so good?

See above, you're arguing with me about things that almost happened...not something that happened. The fact any of us have more than 2 posts in the this thread is sad.

The only difference is, TD's are tracked because they happened...not almost happened.

See above, you're arguing with me about things that almost happened...not something that happened. The fact any of us have more than 2 posts in the this thread is sad.

Tackles/assists/sack credit are often judgement calls

Stats Inc track dropped passes and sacks allowed, both are qutoed by nfl talking heads and both are judgement calls (also passes dropped is an "almost happenned"..

I'm just trying to understand the line you draw where stats move from useful to "stupid" or whatever you are calling this one..

Are errors in baseball up for interpretation?

LOL. Yeah, they are. That's why there is an official scorer at each game and he actually changes error calls during the game or even later.

As to the article, "dropped interceptions" is a non-stat. With dropped passes the QB is intentionally throwing the ball at the receiver, who is trained to catch the ball, and for some reason the ball is dropped from his hands/chest, etc.

With FO's "stat" we have to consider a defender, not trained to catch passes, being the unintended target and having to adjust to a play and then make a play. There are too many assumptions in order to say the DB should have made the interception.

It's far easier to catch a pass as a receiver than it is to intercept it. The receiver & QB know where the ball is going. They know the route and distance. A DB has to guess and react in split second to make a play.

Consider that Roddy White led the NFL in receptions with 115 while Ed Reed led the NFL in INTs with 8. To profer that there is such a stat as "dropped interceptions" is ridiculous.

Stats Inc track dropped passes and sacks allowed, both are qutoed by nfl talking heads and both are judgement calls (also passes dropped is an "almost happenned"..

I'm just trying to understand the line you draw where stats move from useful to "stupid" or whatever you are calling this one..

I would think "meaningless" would be apropos.

LOL. To equate "sacks allowed" to "dropped interceptions" it would have to be "almost sacks allowed." The sack actually happened.

Tackles and sacks are judgement calls? Come'on bro, I think its pretty damn obvious who made what play, especially with instant replay.

And I dont think dropped passes are an almost happened...it did happen. The ball was intended for said receiver, said receiver, dropped the pass. No pass is intended for a defender.

My point is always that stats dont tell the whole truth. I just think trying to draw a conclusion about something that almost happened is stupid.

And I dont think dropped passes are an almost happened...it did happen. The ball was intended for said receiver, said receiver, dropped the pass. No pass is intended for a defender.

My point is always that stats dont tell the whole truth. I just think trying to draw a conclusion about something that almost happened is stupid.

dropped passes = happenned and dropped int's = almost happenned..

interesting

LOL. To equate "sacks allowed" to "dropped interceptions" it would have to be "almost sacks allowed." The sack actually happened.

Hey, wait a minute! Vernon Gholston's agent is looking forward to using that "almost sack" statistic as soon as the lockout is over. It means something to someone.

square blockhead meets square hole

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79827-i-guess-im-a-believer/page__p__1404284#entry1404284

There are many idiotic stats in the NFL. One is sacks allowed by OLineman (idiotic because it never takes into account assignments).

I know that, ahole. Why don't you address the REAL POINT of my earlier post?

To repeat:

It's far easier to catch a pass as a receiver than it is to intercept it. The receiver & QB know where the ball is going. They know the route and distance. A DB has to guess and react in split second to make a play.

Consider that Roddy White led the NFL in receptions with 115 while Ed Reed led the NFL in INTs with 8. The Pats led the NFL with 25 total INTs while the Colts led the NFL with 450 receptions.

Yes, the best receiver caught 107 more passes than the best interceptor and the best receiving team caught 425 more passes than the best intercepting team.

In no way can anyone reasonably assume, based on such a disparity, that an INT "should have" but wasn't made.

I know that, ahole. Why don't you address the REAL POINT of my earlier post?

To repeat:

Consider that Roddy White led the NFL in receptions with 115 while Ed Reed led the NFL in INTs with 8. The Pats led the NFL with 25 total INTs while the Colts led the NFL with 450 receptions.

Yes, the best receiver caught 107 more passes than the best interceptor and the best receiving team caught 425 more passes than the best intercepting team.

In no way can anyone reasonably assume, based on such a disparity, that an INT "should have" but wasn't made.

FO can, and so can I.. I watch the game, and if it hits the defender in the hands I say, Oh, he dropped it. Ptetty simple actually

FO can, and so can I.. I watch the game, and if it hits the defender in the hands I say, Oh, he dropped it. Ptetty simple actually

and you know who else can? SMC can, when it's not a jet QB atleast

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70013-was-that-the-best-performance-by-a-qb-in-super-bowl-history/page__st__80__p__1164906#entry1164906

Do you discount Montana's game because he threw a game ending INT to the Bengals CB which was dropped?

I dont think there is anything wrong with what FO is saying. You would have to be blind to not realize that Sanchez threw the ball to the other team alot last season. Its something he has to work on because most of the time a good deal of those passes would be intercepted since most were soft throws that a defender should pick. I do think two balanced out when he had the bogus int calls when Keller and I think JCo got stripped of the ball, but on the whole he made out better. My only beef is that I think FO tends to have an agenda with certain players/teams when they make a prediction on it. They went on record killing Sanchez when he came out. Then last year they went and took one data point among many to draw the conclusion that the best comparable to Sanchez was Russell. Its a comparison that had no merit and they run enough things there to know better than to write that down. But in the grand scheme of things Sanchez has been terribly inaccurate in his two years in the NFL. I dont think that is arguable.

I dont think there is anything wrong with what FO is saying. You would have to be blind to not realize that Sanchez threw the ball to the other team alot last season. Its something he has to work on because most of the time a good deal of those passes would be intercepted since most were soft throws that a defender should pick. I do think two balanced out when he had the bogus int calls when Keller and I think JCo got stripped of the ball, but on the whole he made out better. My only beef is that I think FO tends to have an agenda with certain players/teams when they make a prediction on it. They went on record killing Sanchez when he came out. Then last year they went and took one data point among many to draw the conclusion that the best comparable to Sanchez was Russell. Its a comparison that had no merit and they run enough things there to know better than to write that down. But in the grand scheme of things Sanchez has been terribly inaccurate in his two years in the NFL. I dont think that is arguable.

I believe thier AFC East game charter is a jets fan.. fwiw

I watch the game too and even if the ball hits the defender in the hands it doesn't mean he "dropped" it. It's only simple for dunces like you.

Consider that the Pats led the NFL with 25 INTs total, that's still 231 LESS than the worst receiving team in the NFL, the Panthers, who had 256 total receptions.

Probability is the essence of FO's "stat." If an INT is incredibly harder to do than a reception, then we can't use a stat saying something "should have happened."

This could be the lamest thing I've ever seen posted.

And Klacko

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/95924-steelers-ravens-game/page__st__80__p__1762362#entry1762362

I forgot, the only drops that Sanchez throws that mean anything are the dropped picks. Flacco's dropped picks, of which he threw four today, get ignored.

And Jifiot

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/93485-kerry-rhodes-lmao/page__p__1709778#entry1709778

He's missed 1 game but it might as well be 6. He's barely visible on the field. He's dropped a couple of INT's though...so thats good. Its a shame because I was actually thinking he'd be a good addition. Maybe he's struggling with picking up the D, I know its complex especially for safeties.

This could be the lamest thing I've ever seen posted.

Are FO's stats perfect? No, but you are kidding yourself if decisions aren't being made based on them (or ones like them). Teams go way deeper then this btw, I think both Mangini and Ryan have said QB's are graded on eveyr pass, if you don't think they look down on a pass winding up in a defenders hands, you are crazy.

and rex ryan

"It was good. No turnovers out there. A good thing on offense, a bad thing on defense. I think (the defense) dropped like five balls. Hopefully the defense, this afternoon, if they get the opportunity they can come up with them."

and rex ryan

"It was good. No turnovers out there. A good thing on offense, a bad thing on defense. I think (the defense) dropped like five balls. Hopefully the defense, this afternoon, if they get the opportunity they can come up with them."

Didn't he say something about Gholston having his balls drop too?

My final stats: There were 527 TOTAL INTs thrown in the NFL last year. There were 10,185 total receptions last year. The Colts and Saints each had 450 receptions as a team, 77 less than the total INTs thrown by every QB in the NFL last year.

For every INT there was 19 receptions.

For FOs' "stat" to be accurate about Sanchez (or any other QB) that means he should have had 285 more dropped passes. It's an absurd number because "dropped interceptions" is an absurd "stat."

My final stats: There were 527 TOTAL INTs thrown in the NFL last year. There were 10,185 total receptions last year. The Colts and Saints each had 450 receptions as a team, 77 less than the total INTs thrown by every QB in the NFL last year.

For every INT there was 19 receptions.

For FOs' "stat" to be accurate about Sanchez (or any other QB) that means he should have had 285 more dropped passes. It's an absurd number because "dropped interceptions" is an absurd "stat."

i honestly have no idea what point you think your making

i honestly have no idea what point you think your making

For you, that's understandable.

I'll make it simple: statistically speaking, an INT is 19 times harder to achieve than a reception and, thus, you can't assume that an INT should have been made just as we assume a reception should have been made.

Based on statistics, a DB SHOULDN'T catch every ball that hits him in the hands just like a batter shouldn't get a hit every time he makes contact and puts the ball in play.

For you, that's understandable.

I'll make it simple: statistically speaking, an INT is 19 times harder to achieve than a reception and, thus, you can't assume that an INT should have been made just as we assume a reception should have been made.

Based on statistics, a DB SHOULDN'T catch every ball that hits him in the hands just like a batter shouldn't get a hit every time he makes contact and puts the ball in play.

wow.. that's even dumber then i thought it was.

ok, congrats!

Archived