40 days out

bitonti

Here we are about 40 days out, who do I think makes it to the Jets at 30:

99% not a chance to fall:

I dont think Aldon Smith, Cam Jordan, JJ Watt< Da'Quan Bowers, Fairley or Dareus make it there.

75% not likely to fall:

Ryan Kerrigan could fall there, not likely but possible. slight chance (i'll explain how at end of post).

Robert Quinn could be there cause his medicals are a nightmare.

only 1 out of Cameron Heyward, Christian Ballard, Muhammed Wilkerson makes it down... Justin Houston his workouts were awesome and he's a clean prospect.

50% coin flips:

Brooks Reed could be there... 50/50 at this point. Martez Wilson I think is 50/50 as well. neither pick would be surprising. It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants take Wilson and the Saints take Reed and they both be off the board well before 30.

25% very realistic names:

Adrian Clayborn will be there and they would have to think long and hard about that name.

Phil Taylor will be there and also last another 20 or 30 slots into round 2.

Leonard Hankerson or Jimmy Smith could be value, if they want to go in a different direction. Brandon Harris will probably get picked close to this 30 spot.

the key to Jets fans is if alot of QBs go (5 in round 1 maybe Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Mallett) that helps the DE market. if 5 tackles (Smith, Solder, Castonzo, Carimi, Sherrod) and pouncey go that helps the market. thats how a Kerrigan, Ballard, Heyward type of 75% name gets to 30.

but if the run happens,

14 DL have gone it could make sense they go after the 3rd CB, WR or LB instead of the 15th DL

I'm drooling over here just thinking about the what if Quinn drops to 30.

If I had a draft pick Robert Quinn would not even be on my board. I don't want any piece of him.

a brain tumor is very serious condition, even if benign.

he takes one wrong hit all of his problems could return. it's not ideal that he didn't get it out. If he gets it out they have to put hardware in his brain that ends his career.

If I had a draft pick Robert Quinn would not even be on my board. I don't want any piece of him.

a brain tumor is very serious condition, even if benign.

he takes one wrong hit all of his problems could return. it's not ideal that he didn't get it out. If he gets it out they have to put hardware in his brain that ends his career.

What's scary is the team with enough picks to take the risk is the Pats. But to be fair I think with all the medical advances at NFL teams disposal and the fact that he had the (benign) tumor in HS it would be fine as long as it's monitored. But I'm not a doctor so who knows. Pending who's still on the board he would be a hard kid to pass up all the way at 30 though. I understand what you're saying though. I would still get the butterflies to hear his name go to the Jets.

Also, interesting you have Ballard possibly before Clayborn. Also, I've seen mocks that have Heyward and Ballard still on the board and the Jets picking Liuget. Your thoughts on that? I actually find it hard to believe that both those guys get past the Pat's two picks and then the Jets. Although Liuget is an intriguing pick too. This draft is PACKED with DL talent!

So just about everyone wants that (either) 34 DE or OLB or hybrid of, at 30...Just to put them all down on one list with a basic rankings...that's a lot of talent for basically (2) 34 positions.

1) Dareus

2) Fairley

3) V. Miller

4) Bowers

5) Watt

6) Jordan

7) Smith

8) Quinn (due to medical only)

9) Kerrigan

10) Wilkerson

11) Heyward

12) Ballard

13) Clayborn

14) Liuget

15) Houston

honestly I left off Bailey and Reed as I just haven't seen them in enough 1st round mocks to consider them worthy but still great talents and not too bad of picks at 30 either.

I guess what all this amounts to is I'll be excited to see who they actually take and will laugh my a$$ off if they take a Jimmy Smith or Hankerson/Baldwin etc instead.

^also funny thing about that list imo is Houston (or Reed or Bailey) could end just as good as a Miller and/or Clayborn could end up just as good as a Fairley/Bowers.

Amazing how much more talent there is now. I think it's getting harder and harder to draw that fine line of elite.

And Dareus really being the only one on that list who could potentially play Nose...

What I don't want to do is take another down lineman and try to convert him into an OLB unless he shows he really has the instincts for the position. We have enough guys who can only run upfield. If they're going OLB, it betterbe one of those 230 lb. guys who runs like a safety.

But to be fair I think with all the medical advances at NFL teams disposal and the fact that he had the (benign) tumor in HS it would be fine as long as it's monitored. But I'm not a doctor so who knows.

im certainly not a doctor either but it's my understanding he never got the tumor out. the surgery was to drain fluid and reduce swelling. He was near death in high school. the tumor is still there. I see this guy's name in top 10 in mocks and it's a ludicrous amount of risk.

life in the NFl is not kind to the human brain...

at 30 to the NYJ what the heck but at 9 to Dallas that's very risky.

Also, interesting you have Ballard possibly before Clayborn. Also, I've seen mocks that have Heyward and Ballard still on the board and the Jets picking Liuget. Your thoughts on that?

Liuget is a 3-tech with 6 career sacks. the Jets might feign interest in this player but I don't think it's a serious interest.

No way the Jets pass on Cameron Heyward, he's probably their dream pick.

Clayborn had some wierd buzz on his medical at combine. Shoulder? He's a straight up 4-3 DE but could be an interesting 3-4 convert.

Liuget is a 3-tech with 6 career sacks. the Jets might feign interest in this player but I don't think it's a serious interest.

No way the Jets pass on Cameron Heyward, he's probably their dream pick.

Clayborn had some wierd buzz on his medical at combine. Shoulder? He's a straight up 4-3 DE but could be an interesting 3-4 convert.

Clayborn had Erb's Palsy at birth, which supposedly limits the use of one of his arms. A scout was quoted as saying they love Clayborn, but it's really obvious he's playing with one arm out there.

Phil Taylor will be there and also last another 20 or 30 slots into round 2.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I'm just not believing the hype in most of the OLB's that everyone clamoring over at this point. Give me the big plug in the middle. If he is going late 2nd and then the Jets can get Taylor with a trade up scenario...then take a chance on a OLB...if not, give me Taylor in the first.

I hope the Jets take the BPA and if he is still there its Martez Wilson, Rex could teach him to play anywhere, including SS, im being serious, at 6'4" and 4.4 speed he can play DE, ILB, OLB, DT on passing downs, SS, on 3rd and shorts he is just a beast, but needs some coaching who better than rex to do that.

I hope the Jets take the BPA and if he is still there its Martez Wilson, Rex could teach him to play anywhere, including SS, im being serious,

it's entirely possible that Wilson makes it down to 30. his pro day wasn't great.

as for Phil Taylor i don't see the need as long as Pouha is starting. does a 2nd team NT even get active on the Jets?

it's entirely possible that Wilson makes it down to 30. his pro day wasn't great.

as for Phil Taylor i don't see the need as long as Pouha is starting. does a 2nd team NT even get active on the Jets?

If the Jets had a 2nd team NT, he probably would have played.

With the way Rex moves people around on the line, yes.

let me just add another name to this mix... Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh

he's currently got a rd 1-2 grade... had a great combine, comes from a big school, can play right away in jason taylor's old role (20+ snaps a game, mostly passing situations).

i could very easily see this player in g/w

I've never been less excited for a draft. Not because of the players involved, but because it almost doesn't matter who they draft--Rex is going to make the defense work anyway, and the offense will Schottenheimer its way to 20-25 ppg regardless of who they get.

The more I look over the players available in this draft, one name keeps coming up. The perfect guy for our team would be Ryan Kerrigan as a 3-4 linebacker. Great kid, great motor, very agressive. I could see someone like that falling into that 20-25 range and then it is just luck if he lasts until 30. Since the day after the national championship game, though I have been saying Cameron Heyward and I will stick with that name. Just enough blemishes to make it to number 30.

Archived