Jets work out first-round QB

T0mShane

I know it's a smoke screen, obviously, but this is weird even in that capacity. To invest resources in a player they have zero realistic chance of even trying too draft? Or, are they thinking about drafting a legit back-up?

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and a receivers coach went down to Fort Worth, Texas, today to work out TCU quarterback Andy Dalton and wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, Dalton told ProFootballTalk.com.

"This was my first exposure to them," Dalton said on a clip aired on PFT's website. "I'd gotten a call a couple days ago when I was on another visit and they set up the workout, said they were coming in to work out me and one of our wide receivers, Jeremy Kerley, so this was my first contact with them."

The workout was about Kerley + a smokescreen. It'd be nice for us to spend a pick on a real QB but Dalton will go too high to be a developmental guy and he sucks anyway.

Word. This is one sh*tty QB draft, which makes me wonder what the hell Andrew Luck was thinking. I was watching Jon Gruden interview Ryan Mallett and Gruden had this look on his face like he was being punk'd. I came away from it unsure if Mallett was undraftable or if he was my favorite prospect of all time. It's like if Vanilla Ice played QB.

Word. This is one sh*tty QB draft, which makes me wonder what the hell Andrew Luck was thinking. I was watching Jon Gruden interview Ryan Mallett and Gruden had this look on his face like he was being punk'd. I came away from it unsure if Mallett was undraftable or if he was my favorite prospect of all time. It's like if Vanilla Ice played QB.

It really was transfixing. One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

You never know who is going to fall how far. Like the saying goes, to win you need two QB's, not one.

Another possibility is indeed that Kerley was the primary interest, but if Dalton flops with his draft team and is available in a couple of years, the Jets will have an idea what he is worth, regardless of his performance in somebody else's system.

It really was transfixing. One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

I imagine that interview was an exact replica of the pre-draft interview between Carmelo Anthony and Larry Brown. Whoever this year's NFL version of Darko Milicic is, that's who Gruden would take.

My personal opinion is that this is a smoke screen to force teams in the 30's to leap frog the Jets in order to get Dalton. Then you ask, "why would the Jets care?" Well, what if a team were to make a deal with the Patriots to swap picks and move up. Wouldn't that remove a 3-4 front 7 drafting team from in front of the Jets and push another guy further down in the draft? That's what I think they are up to. With that said, I think the Jets will draft a QB in this draft to replace Ainge and O'Connell as the in house backup guy. I am thinking a guy like Ricky Stanzi or Pat Devlin on day 3.

My personal opinion is that this is a smoke screen to force teams in the 30's to leap frog the Jets in order to get Dalton. Then you ask, "why would the Jets care?" Well, what if a team were to make a deal with the Patriots to swap picks and move up. Wouldn't that remove a 3-4 front 7 drafting team from in front of the Jets and push another guy further down in the draft? That's what I think they are up to. With that said, I think the Jets will draft a QB in this draft to replace Ainge and O'Connell as the in house backup guy. I am thinking a guy like Ricky Stanzi or Pat Devlin on day 3.

Read an article suggesting that as many as 7 (or, the most ever) QB's could go in the first round of this draft. No because there's so many great QB's, but so many teams have such a great need at QB. Without a free agency period beforehand, the anxiety is heightened further. All the teams that don't need QB's (like the Jets), are working to push all the teams that do to take one as early as possible.

Like that thread on this page about the Pats drafting Brady's replacement? Smokescreen.

That said, I could also see the Jets take a BPA-type QB on day three.

Archived