Cimini: Jets 7 round mock draft

flgreen

Jets: A seven-round mock draft

April, 23, 2011

Apr 23

11:35

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Russ Lande of The Sporting News cranks out a full mock draft -- all seven rounds. Here's what he has for the Jets:

Round 1: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Round 3: Jarriel King, OT, South Carolina

Round 4: Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma

Round 5: Lazarius Levingston, DE, LSU

Round 6: Byron Maxwell, CB, Clemson

Round 7: Jerrod Johnson, QB, Texas A&M

My analysis: I can't disagree with the specific positions that are addressed and when they are addressed, although I think King would be a reach in the third. He's regarded as an underachiever and has a long list of off-the-field transgressions. I like Beal. He was a defensive end in college, but produced good numbers and could project as an OLB. At 6-3 1/2, 292, Levingston has the size to be a two-gap DE in the Jets' scheme. Not much of a pass rusher, but he could be solid against the run. Maxwell exels in press coverage, which makes him a fit in the scheme. It wouldn't shock me if the Jets draft a developmental quarterback. Johnson (6-5, 251) is a "coach-on-the-field" type of player, meaning he has the intangibles to be a backup. The two positions missing are safety and wide receiver, two need areas.

I'm ambivalent, myself. No one player they pick at #30 is going to make the defense appreciably better than it's been, and no one player is going to make the offense better because Schottenheimer is going to run the same sh*t plays anyway. Let Rex pick who he wants--it's not making or breaking the roster anytime soon.

PS: F*ck Brooks Reed.

Jets: A seven-round mock draft

April, 23, 2011

Apr 23

11:35

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Russ Lande of The Sporting News cranks out a full mock draft -- all seven rounds. Here's what he has for the Jets:

Round 1: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Round 3: Jarriel King, OT, South Carolina

Round 4: Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma

Round 5: Lazarius Levingston, DE, LSU

Round 6: Byron Maxwell, CB, Clemson

Round 7: Jerrod Johnson, QB, Texas A&M

My analysis: I can't disagree with the specific positions that are addressed and when they are addressed, although I think King would be a reach in the third. He's regarded as an underachiever and has a long list of off-the-field transgressions. I like Beal. He was a defensive end in college, but produced good numbers and could project as an OLB. At 6-3 1/2, 292, Levingston has the size to be a two-gap DE in the Jets' scheme. Not much of a pass rusher, but he could be solid against the run. Maxwell exels in press coverage, which makes him a fit in the scheme. It wouldn't shock me if the Jets draft a developmental quarterback. Johnson (6-5, 251) is a "coach-on-the-field" type of player, meaning he has the intangibles to be a backup. The two positions missing are safety and wide receiver, two need areas.

Taylor is OK by me in first...about what we could expect.

Rather have Ziemba in the third if we are going to find a body for the OL.

Like Beal in the fourth...although he'd probably last until the fifth.

Don't know enough about Levingston and Maxwell to comment...Johnson is known as a gym rat but hasn't looked the same since the shoulder injury...late round flyer on a QB does make sense IMO just not sure Johnson is that guy.

I know it's academic, but I'd love to see a draft where they come out with some of these players:

First: Kyle Rudolph (not sexy, but will make an immediate impact), Justin Houston (he looks like someone the Giants would draft to rush the passer--and the Giants know how to draft pass rushers), Jabaal Sheard (same reason as Houston)

Later Rounds: Noel Devine (quick, speedy KR/3rd down back to mix into the offense), Ricky Elmore (The other DE/OLB on Arizona who out-produced the immortal Brooks Reed--21.5 sacks the last two years--could be our new Chad Cascadden), Justin Trattou (OLB, same as Elmore, not as productive), Bruce Carter (NC OLB, good athlete who never put it together in college), Mark Herzlich (Because it would be a great story who could eventually replace Bart Scott), Quentin Carter (SS out of Oklahoma would be 1000x better than Eric Smith).

Archived