Camp Eli Vs Jets West

flgreen

Politi: Eli Manning's Hoboken camp not as fun or glamorous as 'Jets West'

Published: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 5:00 AM Updated: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 8:59 AM

Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

The following is a postcard from Camp Eli, which holds its final workouts today.

Dear Boss: Greetings from Hoboken High! Well, I’m just outside of school property, actually, as per strict orders from security. I’ve been standing here on a city sidewalk, outside a wrought-iron gate, watching a handful of mostly Giants practice-teamers run pass patterns with Eli Manning. A group of kids from a neighborhood day care just visited, but after one yawn-filled minute, they went back for a nap. Which brings me to the reason I’m writing.

Can I come home now?

Giants hold informal training session at Hoboken High School Giants hold informal training session at Hoboken High School Giants players talk about the labor issues after an informal training session at Hoboken High School. (Video by John O'Boyle/The Star-Ledger) Watch video

Yes, I know. I’ve only been here for 45 minutes. But I can tell, as offseason camps go, that Camp Eli is one crazy guy in a hockey mask away from being a total horror flick. So far, there has not been one trip to the beach, or one catered meal, or a single door prize. Didn’t Eli see what the other QB in town did? And when can I get that assignment?

Mark Sanchez flew the Jets out to sunny California. He put them up in a beachfront villa. He entertained them and showed them the town. I’m not sure if Eli is even giving any of the Giants a MetroCard for the PATH. Is it any wonder player attendance has been low?

Look, I know Eli should be congratulated for his leadership in organizing these workouts, which is more than some teams are having, and that the football portion is the only part that matters (and even that, truth be told, is up for debate). But when you compare his camp to “Jets West,” the unofficial lockout standings has Team Manning buried in the basement. To wit:

Accommodations

Jets West: Sanchez booked villas for his teammates at a five-star resort designed by a “renowned Italian Renaissance architect” that boasts “expansive views of the Pacific Ocean” and amenities like a “stocked granite wet bar” and “luxurious bathrooms with a marble walk-in shower.” I just tried to book a room for next week, and the rates start — and this is for the garden view — at a whopping $695.

Camp Eli: The Giants QB offers no overnight accommodations. Samuel Giguere, a practice squad player last year, drove down from Montreal and booked his own room in the Sheraton. C’mon, Eli. You’ve got the $100 million contract. Isn’t there an Extended Stay America somewhere for the guy?

Food and Drink

Jets West: Sanchez had daily catered lunches from local restaurants, including fish tacos one day and a truck from the famous West Coast burger joint In ‘N’ Out Burger another. I don’t have scientific proof of this, but nothing makes a football player happier than a Double-Double or three after a long workout. Sportswriters, too, after watching one.

Camp Eli: Nothing. Not even a box of Munchkins from Dunkin’ Donuts or a few buttered rolls. There was a small cooler filled with water, which was literally the least he could do.

Entertainment

Jets.JPGDavid Ahntholz/For The Star-LedgerJets quarterback Mark Sanchez warms during his "Jets West" passing camp at Mission Viejo High School in Mission Viejo, Calif.

Jets West: Sanchez took his teammates to a Lakers playoff game, where they hobnobbed with Hollywood celebrities. Also, each day at camp ended with a “skills competition,” including a water balloon toss. All Sanchez needed was to roast marshmallows and tell ghost stories at night, and he could put every summer camp in California out of business.

Camp Eli: Each day of camp includes a rollicking fun game of “Dodge The Reporters,” in which Eli drives off in his SUV before addressing what, exactly, the Giants quarterback hoped to accomplish.

Fabulous Prizes

Jets West: Yes, that’s right. Prizes. And, by any standard, fabulous ones. Kevin O’Connell got a 65-inch 3D television, donated by Vizio, for winning the camp’s field-goal competition. Other prizes include Meister watches and iPads, and everyone got free sandals and other gear from sponsors.

Camp Eli: Players are allowed exclusive access to the Hoboken High School running track, where they can park their cars and avoid the dreaded ticket and/or wheel boot if the violate the city’s strict parking ordinances.

Attendance

Jets West: Most of the key players made an appearance, including free agent wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who told reporters that he’d be willing to take less money to stay with the Jets. Even veteran LaDainian Tomlinson joined the workouts. Plus, several media outlets made the trip to California, with the encouragement and help of the Sanchez family.

Camp Eli: Manning was throwing passes to Verona native Dan DePalma, who just wrapped up his career at Division 2 West Chester University. Tight end Kevin Boss was there Wednesday. So was reserve wideout Victor Cruz. But it was hard not to look on the field and wonder: Where is everybody?

Then again, Camp Eli didn’t exactly roll out the red carpet. It won’t matter one bit if the Giants are the most prepared team once the lockout ends, but would it kill the guy to bring a dozen doughnuts? “I hope he makes up a Camp Eli T-shirt or something, man” Cruz said. “I’m going to talk to Eli, he needs to fly us to Cali or take us to Miami or something.”

Cruz was laughing, but he was also heading out of Hoboken High with nary a fabulous prize in sight. But hey, at least he was leaving. Another day of this? Send a care package, Boss. We need it.

Signed,

Homesick in Hoboken

Steve Politi: spoliti@starledger.com; Twitter.com/NJ_StevePoliti

lol how did Sanchez get sponsors? Seriously that's hilarious. How do you get sponsors for running your own camp? Next year ESPN will probably ask for a scrimmage that they can cover and air, and pay Sanchez royalties to air it.

Camp Eli: Players are allowed exclusive access to the Hoboken High School running track, where they can park their cars and avoid the dreaded ticket and/or wheel boot if the violate the city’s strict parking ordinances.

In Eli's defense, as someone who has paid many hundreds of dollars in Hoboken parking tickets, thanks to the biggest group of scam-artist douchebag parking attendants ever, this is actually a very nice perk.

But remember guys, despite the vast superiority of Jets West, according to the media the Giants have "class" and the Jets don't so camp eli has that going for it. :lol:

Actually the funniest part of the article was all the comments the Giants fans made saying this exact thing. How classy the Giants are, and how glitzy the Jets are. It might have helped if some Giants players showed no?

Camp Eli: Each day of camp includes a rollicking fun game of “Dodge The Reporters,” in which Eli drives off in his SUV before addressing what, exactly, the Giants quarterback hoped to accomplish.

lol

Archived