Cimini: Jets Could Be Interested in Asomugha, but..........

flgreen

Jets could be interested in Asomugha, but ...

May, 13, 2011

May 13

4:24

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The question comes up every week in our ESPNNewYork.com chat sessions, which means it's probably on the minds of Jets fans everywhere:

Once the labor mess is settled, will the Jets pursue free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha? He will be the biggest fish in the free-agent pond, and we all know how the Jets like the big fish.

I believe that, somewhere in the computer files of Mike Tannenbaum and his right-hand man, Ari Nissim, there is a post-lockout game plan that includes Asomugha. I'm not saying he's included in Plan A or Plan B, but it's hard to imagine Tannenbaum -- Mr. Due Diligence -- turning his back on a player of Asomugha's caliber without exploring it.

But here's the problem: Even if they want him, the Jets probably will be handcuffed by whatever free-agency rules are in place.

If there is a salary cap in 2011, it would be an enormous financial strain to give Asomugha a Revis-like contract -- $11.5 million per year. If they paid $23 million a year to two cornerbacks, they'd have to cut back significantly at other positions.

If there is no salary cap, a la 2010, it could mean the same rules as last year. (That's what most people are speculating, but lately you don't know what to believe.) And if the rules are the same, the Jets will be handcuffed by the "Final Eight" restrictions -- again.

As a Final Four team, the Jets wouldn't be allowed to sign an unrestricted free agent until they lose one. In addition, the first-year salary of the player they sign can't be more than the first-year salary of the player they lost. (See last year's Jason Taylor-for-Jay Feely swap.) The old CBA defines salary as base pay, roster and reporting bonuses, pro-rated signing bonus and likely-to-be-earned incentives. By rule, the salary can't increase by more than 30 percent from year to year, so you can't stash a bundle of money in year 2 of the contract.

Under the 2010 rules, the Jets' most coveted UFA will be WR Braylon Edwards; he's their only UFA that will land a deal approaching the Asomugha neighborhood. (Actually, he'll probably be a few traffic lights away from that neighborhood, but you get the point.) So if the Jets re-sign Edwards (he says he wants to return), they can forget about Asomugha.

But even if Edwards bolts, it will be difficult to match up the first-year salaries because Asomugha will command more than Edwards on the open market. It would be hard for the Jets to compete against the likes of the Cowboys and Eagles, non-Four Four teams that reportedly might make a run at him.

Maybe the Jets get lucky; maybe the Final Eight rules are dropped and there's no cap. Who really knows how it's going to turn out? So, yeah, the Jets can wish upon the Nnamdi star, but to get into position to make a serious run, the stars of the NFL universe would have to align perfectly.

What's Cimini's thought process these days? "Damn, nothing new about the lockout. Should I write another article on Jets West, Revis' camp, or make something up about another big name the Jets probably have no chance of getting?"

This is tiring and amusing at the same time.

When dealing with the final four rule. Is it possible to lose 4 free agents with the salery of 2 mil/year and sign one free agent to 8 mil/year? If it is then with all the free agents we may lose there might be more of a possibility to make a splash with bigger name players. Just a question not a suggestion.

When dealing with the final four rule. Is it possible to lose 4 free agents with the salery of 2 mil/year and sign one free agent to 8 mil/year? If it is then with all the free agents we may lose there might be more of a possibility to make a splash with bigger name players. Just a question not a suggestion.

I think it's one-for-one, not cumulative. No one we add can have a first-year salary greater than the first-year salary of anyone we lost. Not 100% on this, but I think this is the way it works.

Though if the 2010 uncapped rules are in place, we'd be able to resign our own guys, right?

As long as any new deals aren't constructed to violate 30% rules, then yes. Those usually come into play when redoing deals with a year or more remaining on an older (and far less lucrative) contract.

I think it's one-for-one, not cumulative. No one we add can have a first-year salary greater than the first-year salary of anyone we lost. Not 100% on this, but I think this is the way it works.

Yes thats correct. Its 1 for one. So if Braylon and Ellis make 10 million combined (cap dollars) in free agency that does not mean the Jets can offer another player that same money. If its a 5/5 split the Jets can offer 2 players 5 million each.

At to your other point the 30% rule would not really hurt the Jets too much this year. Last year it was difficult because there were a number of players they were looking to extend that were on current contracts. This year I dont think there would be any. Keller is under contract thru 2012 and I don think the Jets have any reason to extend him now (and could be expendable in the future if he doesnt get more consistent). All the other guys like Harris and Holmes dont fall into the 30% trap anymore because their contracts expired.

Jets could be interested in Asomugha, but ...

May, 13, 2011

May 13

4:24

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The question comes up every week in our ESPNNewYork.com chat sessions, which means it's probably on the minds of Jets fans everywhere:

Once the labor mess is settled, will the Jets pursue free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha? He will be the biggest fish in the free-agent pond, and we all know how the Jets like the big fish.

I believe that, somewhere in the computer files of Mike Tannenbaum and his right-hand man, Ari Nissim, there is a post-lockout game plan that includes Asomugha. I'm not saying he's included in Plan A or Plan B, but it's hard to imagine Tannenbaum -- Mr. Due Diligence -- turning his back on a player of Asomugha's caliber without exploring it.

But here's the problem: Even if they want him, the Jets probably will be handcuffed by whatever free-agency rules are in place.

If there is a salary cap in 2011, it would be an enormous financial strain to give Asomugha a Revis-like contract -- $11.5 million per year. If they paid $23 million a year to two cornerbacks, they'd have to cut back significantly at other positions.

If there is no salary cap, a la 2010, it could mean the same rules as last year. (That's what most people are speculating, but lately you don't know what to believe.) And if the rules are the same, the Jets will be handcuffed by the "Final Eight" restrictions -- again.

As a Final Four team, the Jets wouldn't be allowed to sign an unrestricted free agent until they lose one. In addition, the first-year salary of the player they sign can't be more than the first-year salary of the player they lost. (See last year's Jason Taylor-for-Jay Feely swap.) The old CBA defines salary as base pay, roster and reporting bonuses, pro-rated signing bonus and likely-to-be-earned incentives. By rule, the salary can't increase by more than 30 percent from year to year, so you can't stash a bundle of money in year 2 of the contract.

Under the 2010 rules, the Jets' most coveted UFA will be WR Braylon Edwards; he's their only UFA that will land a deal approaching the Asomugha neighborhood. (Actually, he'll probably be a few traffic lights away from that neighborhood, but you get the point.) So if the Jets re-sign Edwards (he says he wants to return), they can forget about Asomugha.

But even if Edwards bolts, it will be difficult to match up the first-year salaries because Asomugha will command more than Edwards on the open market. It would be hard for the Jets to compete against the likes of the Cowboys and Eagles, non-Four Four teams that reportedly might make a run at him.

Maybe the Jets get lucky; maybe the Final Eight rules are dropped and there's no cap. Who really knows how it's going to turn out? So, yeah, the Jets can wish upon the Nnamdi star, but to get into position to make a serious run, the stars of the NFL universe would have to align perfectly.

I stopped reading at the end of the sentence in bold.

Yes thats correct. Its 1 for one. So if Braylon and Ellis make 10 million combined (cap dollars) in free agency that does not mean the Jets can offer another player that same money. If its a 5/5 split the Jets can offer 2 players 5 million each.

At to your other point the 30% rule would not really hurt the Jets too much this year. Last year it was difficult because there were a number of players they were looking to extend that were on current contracts. This year I dont think there would be any. Keller is under contract thru 2012 and I don think the Jets have any reason to extend him now (and could be expendable in the future if he doesnt get more consistent). All the other guys like Harris and Holmes dont fall into the 30% trap anymore because their contracts expired.

That was my point with the 30% rule. I think Tannenbaum will have enough contract situations to iron out with actual free agents (UFAs, RFAs, and any potential incoming ones) without bothering with anyone already under contract.

The one caveat I would add to the free agents we can add is that - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong - we can pick someone up if cut from another team. We have to go dollar-for-dollar only from players whose contracts expired with their previous team. For final-8 (and compensatory draft pick) purposes, UFAs who played out their entire contracts are designated differently than UFAs who were cut with time remaining on their contracts.

Also, our own free agents are exempt from any signing restrictions. The only restriction would be fitting under a 2011 salary cap, assuming there is one.

Archived