Woody Johnson gives credence to randy Moss rumors

flgreen

Woody Johnson gives credence to Randy Moss rumors

Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT

Woody Johnson AP

Last month, public statements from Jets coach Rex Ryan regarding free-agent-to-be receiver Randy Moss sparked a string of reports and plenty of speculation that the Jets will make a beeline for Moss once the lockout ends. Since then, G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has declined on multiple occasions to discuss the situation, the reports of potential interest have continued, and privately the Jets have tried to throw water on the perception that Moss represents a fallback option, in the event Braylon Edwards and/or Santonio Holmes leave.

Enter owner Woody Johnson, who has given new life to the Randy Moss rumors via statements made last week, at the ownership meetings in Indianapolis.

“There’s no question that Randy Moss has the capability, has the God-given talent to be a superstar, and he has been a superstar, particularly with the Patriots,” Johnson told Albert Breer of NFL Network. “That’s about all I can say about him, other than I admire his skill and what he’s accomplished during those years.” Johnson also acknowledged that the Jets have worked on “scenario development” when it comes to free agency, without getting specific regarding whether those scenarios include Moss.

But Johnson’s assessment that Moss “has the God-given talent to be a superstar” suggests to us that the organization believes that, if the right buttons are pressed, Moss can make the same kind of career transformation that was witnessed in 2007, when after Moss supposedly was washed up in Oakland he put together one of the greatest single seasons for any receiver in NFL history.

wait a minute...Johnson thinks Randy Moss is really good? Wow. That must mean we're going to sign him for sure! I don't think anyone else in any other organization would consider Moss a special talent. Ths is a bombshell! God I hate the news-starved media.

Breaking news: Johnson also believes Peyton Manning throws a nice ball! HE IS OURS!

This is a viable rumor. As much as fans here prefer Edwards to Holmes, I think it's been pretty clear from the start that the Jets prefer Holmes. And while Moss will never be the team player that Braylon's shown himself to be the last couple years, he does fit as a big, veteran, downfield threat replacement.

And if the Jets aren't interested in Moss, it's good for them to breathe life into those rumors and encourage other teams to go after him instead of, oh, say Braylon Edwards.

Woody Johnson gives credence to Randy Moss rumors

Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT

Woody Johnson AP

Enter owner Woody Johnson, who has given new life to the Randy Moss rumors via statements made last week, at the ownership meetings in Indianapolis.

“There’s no question that Randy Moss has the capability, has the God-given talent to be a superstar, and he has been a superstar, particularly with the Patriots,” Johnson told Albert Breer of NFL Network. “That’s about all I can say about him, other than I admire his skill and what he’s accomplished during those years.” Johnson also acknowledged that the Jets have worked on “scenario development” when it comes to free agency, without getting specific regarding whether those scenarios include Moss.

But Johnson’s assessment that Moss “has the God-given talent to be a superstar” suggests to us that the organization believes that, if the right buttons are pressed, Moss can make the same kind of career transformation that was witnessed in 2007, when after Moss supposedly was washed up in Oakland he put together one of the greatest single seasons for any receiver in NFL history.

This is the dumbest, most unfounded "Rumor" yet. Saying Moss was a star with the Patrots and Woody "admires his skill" does not automatically Suggest "that the organization believes that, if the right buttons are pressed, Moss can make the same kind of career transformation that was witnessed in 2007..." you know, when he went from the Raiders to being the main target of Tom Brady.

The speculation and sensationalism is getting worse by the day. Someone please sign a rookie or open a training camp or trade for something...anything.

This is the dumbest, most unfounded "Rumor" yet. Saying Moss was a star with the Patrots and Woody "admires his skill" does not automatically Suggest "that the organization believes that, if the right buttons are pressed, Moss can make the same kind of career transformation that was witnessed in 2007..." you know, when he went from the Raiders to being the main target of Tom Brady.

The speculation and sensationalism is getting worse by the day. Someone please sign a rookie or open a training camp or trade for something...anything.

On the other hand, Woody could have said that "Moss is not presently in our plans".

This is a viable rumor. As much as fans here prefer Edwards to Holmes, I think it's been pretty clear from the start that the Jets prefer Holmes. And while Moss will never be the team player that Braylon's shown himself to be the last couple years, he does fit as a big, veteran, downfield threat replacement.

And if the Jets aren't interested in Moss, it's good for them to breathe life into those rumors and encourage other teams to go after him instead of, oh, say Braylon Edwards.

Why do you think that Slats? Your not alone, every scribe I have read has said the same thing. I just haven't seen anything from the Jets saying they prefer Holmes. I think they are leaking things to create a false sense as to where they are going.

I smell a rat. Just to much "the Jets prefer Holmes" talk out there. IMO, based on nothing, I have a feeling that the Jets would prefer to have the 2010 rules come back, sign Edwards, and have Holmes as a RFA. He will raise hell about it, but then they will point to the fact that, "everyone knows they prefer Holmes", but the cap demands they give him the RFA. Then the big lie. "We'll sign you next year." He'll sign

Tannenbaum is just to slick to let his true intentions be out there before any contract talks begin.

Like I said just my opinion based on that I think Mr T is pretty slick

Moss is pure trash. How anyone could want that a$$hole on their team is beyond me.

Please make this happen. Please!!!

Why do you think that Slats? Your not alone, every scribe I have read has said the same thing. I just haven't seen anything from the Jets saying they prefer Holmes. I think they are leaking things to create a false sense as to where they are going.

I smell a rat. Just to much "the Jets prefer Holmes" talk out there. IMO, based on nothing, I have a feeling that the Jets would prefer to have the 2010 rules come back, sign Edwards, and have Holmes as a RFA. He will raise hell about it, but then they will point to the fact that, "everyone knows they prefer Holmes", but the cap demands they give him the RFA. Then the big lie. "We'll sign you next year." He'll sign

Tannenbaum is just to slick to let his true intentions be out there before any contract talks begin.

Like I said just my opinion based on that I think Mr T is pretty slick

I dont think its based on nothing. Any time Rex speaks about Holmes, he often refers to him as the best player on the field. I think he views Holmes almost in the same light as Revis. Did you see the Rex interview when Holmes was part of the 100 best players on the NFLN? Dude absolutely loves Holmes. Loves him. I know they like Braylon - but you never hear Rex glow about him like he does Holmes.

I dont think its based on nothing. Any time Rex speaks about Holmes, he often refers to him as the best player on the field. I think he views Holmes almost in the same light as Revis. Did you see the Rex interview when Holmes was part of the 100 best players on the NFLN? Dude absolutely loves Holmes. Loves him. I know they like Braylon - but you never hear Rex glow about him like he does Holmes.

This is what I think. I'd go back to Hard Knocks when Rex was praising him up and down. He's had nothing but respect for him being in the same division with Holmes and the Steelers for the first few years of Santonio's career. He knows all about gameplanning against him. If it comes down to one or the other, I think the one is Holmes.

Putting 2+2 here from a couple different articles posted, too. In one, Braylon was asking Sanchez what he thought the Jets' plans were gonna be regarding him. In another, Braylon was selling his NJ home and moving back to the rust belt. Coincidence?

I really want Edwards on this team, but I definitely believe that Rex thinks he could replace him short term with a guy like Randy Moss. I don't think there's gonna be a line for Moss' services, and Randy just might enjoy playing for the Pats' biggest rival. God knows the guy needs extra motivation to perform. Really, I think all three of these guys could go into the tank if they're not playing for a winner.

Suspension-wise, I think Holmes is the biggest risk. I hope that figures into their calculations. How much weed do you think these guys are smoking during the lockout? Haha! I honestly hope there's some kind of 30 day window once the lockout's over before they can start drug testing again - but it could be the exact opposite with the league looking to punish players further.

This is what I think. I'd go back to Hard Knocks when Rex was praising him up and down. He's had nothing but respect for him being in the same division with Holmes and the Steelers for the first few years of Santonio's career. He knows all about gameplanning against him. If it comes down to one or the other, I think the one is Holmes.

Putting 2+2 here from a couple different articles posted, too. In one, Braylon was asking Sanchez what he thought the Jets' plans were gonna be regarding him. In another, Braylon was selling his NJ home and moving back to the rust belt. Coincidence?

I really want Edwards on this team, but I definitely believe that Rex thinks he could replace him short term with a guy like Randy Moss. I don't think there's gonna be a line for Moss' services, and Randy just might enjoy playing for the Pats' biggest rival. God knows the guy needs extra motivation to perform. Really, I think all three of these guys could go into the tank if they're not playing for a winner.

Suspension-wise, I think Holmes is the biggest risk. I hope that figures into their calculations. How much weed do you think these guys are smoking during the lockout? Haha! I honestly hope there's some kind of 30 day window once the lockout's over before they can start drug testing again - but it could be the exact opposite with the league looking to punish players further.

I dont know, I'm not a fan of managing a team in fear. Which is what you are doing if you choose not to resign Holmes because of the suspension factor...but then again, I'm not a GM for a reason.

Sanchez said the other day he believes Tanny can sign both. I'm praying thats the case because I think the kid needs consistency at the skillz positions...but with all the offensive talent we added in the draft, plus Keller, Cotch, Holmes or BE...plus a FA (praying Moss)...the offense should be fine if we dont sign both.

I dont know, I'm not a fan of managing a team in fear. Which is what you are doing if you choose not to resign Holmes because of the suspension factor...but then again, I'm not a GM for a reason.

Sanchez said the other day he believes Tanny can sign both. I'm praying thats the case because I think the kid needs consistency at the skillz positions...but with all the offensive talent we added in the draft, plus Keller, Cotch, Holmes or BE...plus a FA (praying Moss)...the offense should be fine if we dont sign both.

I don't disagree, but it has to be a consideration when you're looking at paying a guy in the neighborhood of $10/year. I'd have my FBI guy watching Holmes during this lockout. I'm not kidding.

Archived