Rex Gets a Tattoo!!

jetstilldeath77

Rex Ryan's tattoo: A study in mid-life hieroglyphics

Published: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 12:07 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 12:09 PM

By Star-Ledger Staff The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

Enlarge

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger NY Jets Santonio Holmes (10) along with Plaxico Burress (17) and Mark Sanchez (6) as the Jets get in practice at the Jets Training Facility on day 1 of training camp in Florham Park, NJ 8/1/11 (William Perlman/The Star-Ledger)

New York Jets open up training camp on 8-1-11 gallery (42 photos)

We can only suppose that now the missing piece from the Jets' Super Bowl plans has been found. We know where it is, but not what it is, or what brought it about -- only that it is there. Permanently.

Rex Ryan debuted his leg tattoo Monday at Jets training camp. He trudged the practice fields at the Jets training facility in Florham Park as photographers snapped shots of the black ink flowing up his fibula from his ankle bone.

The Jets advertised a contest asking fans to decipher the tattoo's meaning, a brain-burner of a request considering it is difficult to ascertain what the design is exactly.

From one angle it looks like dragon, or the eye or a hurricane shot from a satellite. It could be a nautilus shell if viewed from the front, or maybe it's one of those illustrations that is a beautiful woman and old woman at the same time!

Whether you feel it is just tribal or terrible, Ryan seems pleased. He said the design is a reminder to "believe in yourself," though that message is harder to read than one of his blitz packages.

At today's press conference, Ryan was asked if the tattoo represented for him, at 48, a mid-life crisis.

"I'd call it mid-life hieroglyphics," Ryan replied.

I'd love it if it was real and had the Jets logo.

But if was real, would he have been able to keep quiet about it during the whole 'gauze and vaseline' period?

Its not brand new, says he got it in Hawaii during a vacation. More power to him remember HES LARGE AND IN CHARGE!

That is a pretty stupid looking tat. I'm not a big tattoo fan anyway, but that thing is hideous. To each their own, I guess.

I do have a comment though. The term "mid-life crisis," which is implied in the article, is stupid. First of all, he's 49. The average male's life expectancy in the USA is 76. Sorry, it's past the mid point, Buddy. I hear people say it all the time - midlife. My aunt says it. She's 60. C'mon.

Secondly, it seems like the lamest excuse on the planet. "Mid-life crisis" - the reason you get a tattoo, buy a motorcycle for the first time, etc. And, although people joke about "mid-life" crisis purchases, actions, etc.....laugh at it, make fun of it.... it ends up being an acceptable excuse. Seems silly to me.

Anyway, the tattoo is putrid. Almost as bad as some of Tom Brady's hair-do's.

This is a tough one...

You want to use the "Rex" thing, but it's hard to fit that in with a calf tattoo. I mean, something like "Tyranacalfus Rex" or some other dinosaur reference would be just beyond stupid.

You want to fit it in with his career here with the Jets, but "I can't win the division or the conference championship and my personal life has become a punchline so I got a tattoo" just doesn't work either.

This is going to take some time.

I wonder if this was some kind of bonding thing for him and the team. I wish we had Hard Knocks again this year.

http://deadspin.com/...is-really-awful

Booooo! i heard this on the radio today...I thought it was a JETS TATTOO! like L.T.!! That's wack!!! Why even report that gay a$$ tattoo! lol Well, good thing Rex is king of the football world.....or he would have lost points with me there.

This is a tough one...

You want to use the "Rex" thing, but it's hard to fit that in with a calf tattoo. I mean, something like "Tyranacalfus Rex" or some other dinosaur reference would be just beyond stupid.

You want to fit it in with his career here with the Jets, but "I can't win the division or the conference championship and my personal life has become a punchline so I got a tattoo" just doesn't work either.

This is going to take some time.

Why isn't this troll banned already

Archived