Ravens, Titans also interested in Mason

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/6227/the-latest-on-the-mason-situation

The latest on the Mason situation

August, 5, 2011

Aug 5

1:16

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets remain interested in free-agent WR Derrick Mason, but they're not the only team in pursuit. His two former teams, the Ravens and Titans, are rumored to be in the hunt. There are also rumblings about the Browns. If it comes down to dollars, the Jets aren't optimistic.

"I'm sure he'd have to leave money on the table to come here," Rex Ryan said Friday.

One aspect of the Mason/Jerricho Cotchery situation begs a question: Why did the Jets release Cotchery before having secured his replacement? By doing so, they have more leverage to Mason's agents. No matter how much the Jets talk up rookie Jeremy Kerley and their young receivers, they have a glaring need at the position. The only certainty is Santonio Holmes. After him, lots of questions, including Plaxico Burress.

So why did the Jets leave themselves exposed like this? Ryan said he promised Cotchery that he'd trade or release him. As we reported Thursday, Cotchery wanted out, a request he first made after last season. Cotchery wanted his old starting job back, and the Jets weren't willing to go there.

"I'm a man of my word," Ryan said, explaining the curious timing of the Cotchery release.

I believe Ryan. The Jets wanted to do right by Cotchery, a loyal soldier for seven years. But by doing so, they put themselves in a pickle.

Malcolm Floyd

The Ravens are favored to be the ones to sign Floyd. I suppose Mason is just their fallback option.

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/8/4/2345355/malcom-floyd-ravens-rumors

The Baltimore Ravens remain the favorite to sign free agent wide receiver Malcom Floyd, according to reports from the Baltimore Sun's Jamison Hensley. Wednesday reports indicated that the Ravens offered Floyd a deal topping the $3 million per year salary he made with the San Diego Chargers in 2010-2011. According to Hensley, terms could be reached between the two sides by Friday.

If it's not Mason, the Jets will either wait and see what shakes lose via cuts or explore the trade market. Probably both.

Floyd isn't as good an option with Plax already on board. Steve Smith (jints) is probably the best slot guy out there, but the talk is that he's likely to miss the first month of the season recovering from last season's knee injury. Not really a good option for the Jets. Randle El, maybe? Cupboard's pretty bare at the WR position right now.

If it's not Mason, the Jets will either wait and see what shakes lose via cuts or explore the trade market. Probably both.

Floyd isn't as good an option with Plax already on board. Steve Smith (jints) is probably the best slot guy out there, but the talk is that he's likely to miss the first month of the season recovering from last season's knee injury. Not really a good option for the Jets. Randle El, maybe? Cupboard's pretty bare at the WR position right now.

Exactly, the Jets will find somebody to bring in one way or another, but for now they're waiting to see what happens with Mason. It's not exactly like they're going to miss out on anyone in the meantime. The plus side is if Kerley continues to impress in camp, the Jets may feel as though they can get away with signing a guy like Steve Smith and get by without him for the start of the year, or perhaps bring in a lower level veteran presence to put at #4 just to cover their asses more than anything else.

It's gonna be reaeeeeeeal interesting if we don't get Mason.

I don't think Plex — at least right now — can be relied upon to be a No. 2.

He's going to make an impact mainly in the red zone for the first quarter of the season.

In reality, I think Mason would be more of the No. 2 for at least the first quarter of the season. It all depends how Plex's body responds to the rigors of the game. Right now, ain't looking too sunshiney.

We don't need anybody. If we get somebody fine. I don't care. Stop being a bunch of fairies and man-up. We went into 2009 with Cotchery and Stuckey and we are going to be a bunch of pussies now?

Personally I would have been interested in bringing Breaston (long gone) in. Oh well. Maybe I should start a thread crying about it.

We don't need anybody. If we get somebody fine. I don't care. Stop being a bunch of fairies and man-up. We went into 2009 with Cotchery and Stuckey and we are going to be a bunch of pussies now?

Personally I would have been interested in bringing Breaston (long gone) in. Oh well. Maybe I should start a thread crying about it.

tumblr_lootiqj1Au1qabj53o1_500.jpg

Archived