Three things We learned Monday

flgreen

Jets: Three things we learned Monday

August, 9, 2011

Aug 9

12:24

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

1. Jets and Patriots disagree. Obviously, the two organizations have a difference of opinion on defensive end Shaun Ellis. The Jets offered him $910,000 for one year, basically a Joe Torre-esque contract: We want you, but only at a ridiculously low price. The Patriots agreed to pay him $4 million. At that salary, they apparently believe he can be a full-time player. We're talking about two smart organizations that really know how to evaluate players. Someone is going to be wrong on this one.

2. Derrick Mason, Plaxico Burress have a long way to go. Mason, 37, participated in his first practice as a Jet, receiving a bulk of the reps -- and admitted afterward that his legs felt like jelly about halfway through the practice. Burress, 33, coming off his ankle injury, took only three team reps. This isn't going to be an overnight process, breaking in two old receivers -- one of whom spent 20 months in jail. But, remember, the goal isn't to be ready for the Texans on Aug. 15; the goal is Sept. 11 and the Cowboys.

3. Sleepers. A few off-the-radar players already have jumped out in camp -- PK Nick Novak, LB Nick Bellore (Central Michigan), WR Michael Campbell (Temple), LB Garrett McIntyre and DE Ropati Pitoitua. Rex Ryan identified Bellore as the most pleasant surprise on defense. He has an excellent chance to make the team because the depth at inside 'backer is suspect.

I think the Ellis reference is a little short-sighted. The difference between the Pats and the Jets is that the Jets feel with their current roster on the DL, Ellis would be a backup and therefore offered a backup level contract. The Pats DL is fairly thin considering they are going to a 4-3, therefore Ellis is a started at DE on that roster and is worth a starter level contract. It's apples to oranges.

There was an ESPN piece yesterday where they said they didn't think Belichick would think twice about paying a guy that money for 15 snaps a game. They also said that they didn't think the Jets were crazy about the idea of Ellis being around the young guys because he never fully bought in the Rex system and he was lazy and didn't practice hard. Supposedly they got this information from speaking with players.

I think the Ellis reference is a little short-sighted. The difference between the Pats and the Jets is that the Jets feel with their current roster on the DL, Ellis would be a backup and therefore offered a backup level contract. The Pats DL is fairly thin considering they are going to a 4-3, therefore Ellis is a started at DE on that roster and is worth a starter level contract. It's apples to oranges.

That's just Cimini poking with a stick. Your right the Pats and Jets situation is totally different. The Jets know there's still some thread left on Ellis' tires, but they have a young kid. pats made an offer that was out of their reach

He just wants to be able to come back later and taunt the Jets for letting him walk.

Just couldn't pay that kind of money

Truth.

The Jets defense is a lot better than the Pats, and their DL is a position filled with quality young talent. Same reason Plaxico Burress is worth more to the Jets than the Steelers. Different teams have different perspectives. Doesn't make them necessarily right or wrong.

Pretty pleased with this Bellore kid, who they have been talking about a lot. People who think it's ridiculous what the Jets pay their two starting ILB's can look to two years from now when former UDFA Scott is cut, replaced by another.

Monday? Really? We learned that the Pats and Jets disagreed on Ellis, and Plax and Mason are going to take time to adjust on...Monday? Really Rich? Took you till Monday to crack those brain busters?

You must be attending practice.

Still has a sprained ankle. Remember he didn't practice when he was with the Giants. He just played on Sunday.

Had ankle problems then to

Yep. I had him on my Fantasy team and all week long it was like..."****, Plax aint practicing again, what do I do"...and then on Sunday it was like..."YES!!!! So glad I left Plax in".

lol

Archived