cutting the cord

Lizard King

Has anyone used apple TV/roku/Chromecast in lieu of cable service?

I am reading that by purchasing a digital antenna, and one of the three boxes above, you almost have no reason to be on cable anymore.

My cable FiOS package is $140 for nearly standard service. I have the triple play and recently inquired about canceling the phone service because now Verizon offers double play. It actually would've raised my bill to do this.

I know that roku actually offers for free a lot of the channels that FiOS has on its slightly advanced package which I have.

Almost sounds like an obvious move but I want to get a little feedback.

Sports and a few live shows are all I use cable for now. Plus you still need to subscribe to HBO to get HBOGO, which requires cable. As soon as they work out the kinks regarding that stuff I'm switching exclusively to streaming. Supposedly Apple has been negotiating with Time Warner for that very thing, but I'm guessing the net neutrality case that was decided a few months back has slowed things down.

It's not totally doable yet if you're a big sports fan, but it should be sometime within the next couple years.

Sports and a few live shows are all I use cable for now. Plus you still need to subscribe to HBO to get HBOGO, which requires cable. As soon as they work out the kinks regarding that stuff I'm switching exclusively to streaming. Supposedly Apple has been negotiating with Time Warner for that very thing, but I'm guessing the net neutrality case that was decided a few months back has slowed things down.

It's not totally doable yet if you're a big sports fan, but it should be sometime within the next couple years.

It's definitely within reach now, but like you said...hard to pull off right now if you're the type that watches sports year-round.

Well, if you had a "digital antenna" then you would get your locally programmed sports, right?

And I want to double check on what sports options are available on Roku, who has like 700 channels and growing.

For the digital antenna, yes -- but I don't believe that would include ESPN, would it?  Fact is ESPN is swooping up content all over the place.  For Jets fans in the New York/New Jersey area you'd most likely be fine aside from MNF.  If you're a Jets fan outside of the Northeast I'd assume you'd be out of luck most of the time.

As for Roku, quick google search got me this: http://www.roku.com/now-playing

Seems to include Watch ESPN and several others so you'd be able to grab those big time events for sure.  Does Watch ESPN require a cable provider still?  I can't remember to be honest.

Well, if you had a "digital antenna" then you would get your locally programmed sports, right?

And I want to double check on what sports options are available on Roku, who has like 700 channels and growing.

Sorry, I misspoke and you're right. Yes you'll still get local channels with an antenna, but it really depends what you're looking for regarding sports. A lot of stuff you'll still need cable for (baseball, basketball...etc), but plenty of stuff will still come through on major networks. It's still risky for football because even if you live in the locality, if the team is good they'll get optioned for prime time sh*t throughout the season, like with what happened with the Jets a few years back.

It's definitely within reach now, but like you said...hard to pull off right now if you're the type that watches sports year-round.

For the digital antenna, yes -- but I don't believe that would include ESPN, would it?  Fact is ESPN is swooping up content all over the place.  For Jets fans in the New York/New Jersey area you'd most likely be fine aside from MNF.  If you're a Jets fan outside of the Northeast I'd assume you'd be out of luck most of the time.

Seems to include Watch ESPN and several others so you'd be able to grab those big time events for sure.  Does Watch ESPN require a cable provider still?  I can't remember to be honest.

So here's where it gets fun:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about

ESPN Networks
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPN3
  • ESPNU
  • ESPNews
  • ESPN Deportes
  • Buzzer Beater

:D

Sorry, I misspoke and you're right. Yes you'll still get local channels with an antenna, but it really depends what you're looking for regarding sports. A lot of stuff you'll still need cable for (baseball, basketball...etc), but plenty of stuff will still come through on major networks. It's still risky for football because even if you live in the locality, if the team is good they'll get optioned for prime time sh*t throughout the season, like with what happened with the Jets a few years back.

A: The Jets won't be good lol

B: Even if they are, prime time TV falls under your local stations, CBS, NBC. And the ESPN looks to be covered.

So here's where it gets fun:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about

ESPN Networks
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPN3
  • ESPNU
  • ESPNews
  • ESPN Deportes
  • Buzzer Beater

:biggrin:

Reading some of the "fine print," though:

Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription through participating TV providers.

Other than that, though, there is ESPN3 which would be free to anyone with high speed internet.  ESPN3 doesn't always have the best coverage, but it can get some mediocre to halfway decent college football and basketball games (especially if you watch mid majors) and I'm pretty sure it had coverage of the National Championship game, at least.

It's a real shame too. There's so much capability that isn't being utilized simply because Comcast doesn't want to suffer short-term losses from bundled packages and leasing equipment.

Reading some of the "fine print," though:

Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription through participating TV providers.

Other than that, though, there is ESPN3 which would be free to anyone with high speed internet.  ESPN3 doesn't always have the best coverage, but it can get some mediocre to halfway decent college football and basketball games (especially if you watch mid majors) and I'm pretty sure it had coverage of the National Championship game, at least.

You're right. That is total crap.

Even if they are, prime time TV falls under your local stations, CBS, NBC. And the ESPN looks to be covered.

You have to be a cable subscriber for WatchESPN. NFL Network is not heading to streaming any time soon either.

Nobody is trying to talk you out of this or argue. We're just saying, don't jump into it thinking you're going to have an identical array of options. There's a very good chance you're going to be heading out to a bar or a friend's house several times per year because of the limitations if you're a big sports fan. If not, you'll be fine.

You have to be a cable subscriber for WatchESPN. NFL Network is not heading to streaming any time soon either.

Nobody is trying to talk you out of this or argue. We're just saying, don't jump into it thinking you're going to have an identical array of options. There's a very good chance you're going to be heading out to a bar or a friend's house several times per year because of the limitations if you're a big sports fan. If not, you'll be fine.

Hey I'm not arguing at all, I completely appreciate it. You're right, if something falls on NFL Network, you're screwed. ESPN for MNF, college hoops, you're screwed. But I think there are a couple work arounds. For instance, baseball has the MLB network on Roku. I just need to keep looking into it.

It's a real shame too. There's so much capability that isn't being utilized simply because Comcast doesn't want to suffer short-term losses from bundled packages and leasing equipment.

You're right. That is total crap.

Agreed, it sucks.  ESPN/sports packages and AMC (there may be other channels as well, AMC is just the big one to come to mind) are basically the only things keeping things status quo.  Seeing as AMC and sports are the only things I watch much anymore, I'm pretty stuck.

Hey I'm not arguing at all, I completely appreciate it. You're right, if something falls on NFL Network, you're screwed. ESPN for MNF, college hoops, you're screwed. But I think there are a couple work arounds. For instance, baseball has the MLB network on Roku. I just need to keep looking into it.

I do want to add that keep in mind that CBS is going to be airing Thurs. night games, so NFL Network may not be as must need as we think.  College basketball, MNF, maybe even some college football bowl games though would be missed.

That said, as RJF has said it's still a couple years away from being truly viable.  What we sports fans need are the non-sports fans to jump ship and force the hands of the powers that be.

Agreed, it sucks.  ESPN/sports packages and AMC (there may be other channels as well, AMC is just the big one to come to mind) are basically the only things keeping things status quo.  Seeing as AMC and sports are the only things I watch much anymore, I'm pretty stuck.

NBC streams its sunday night games for free.

Firstrowsports.eu

justin.tv

http://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/1r4y4i/best_way_to_get_watch_espn_without_a_cable_service/

Just a couple quick things I found

I do want to add that keep in mind that CBS is going to be airing Thurs. night games, so NFL Network may not be as must need as we think.  College basketball, MNF, maybe even some college football bowl games though would be missed.

That said, as RJF has said it's still a couple years away from being truly viable.  What we sports fans need are the non-sports fans to jump ship and force the hands of the powers that be.

1: Good call

2: The younger generation is getting to the point where they don't even buy TV's let alone cable service. I think we're probably only a couple years away like you both said.

I went ahead and bought a Google Chromecast last night. It's $35, so where can you go wrong giving it a shot?

If you open up your laptop, use the Chrome browser and outfit it with the Chromecast extension, you can stream content seamlessly to your TV.

Then, if you use a web-based sports site, you're set. All video on the browser will always have the "Chromecast" button to shoot it over to your TV. Supposedly this works for anything you watch in that browser, sports, videos of babies playing with cats, anything.

The laptop can even go into "sleep" mode and won't lose the signal.

We're like 90% there.

I use that to view some Jets games, but it's already been shut down once before.  You also have to deal with annoying pop ups and usually a laggy/pixelated picture...but when you have no other options it is worth it.

1: Good call

2: The younger generation is getting to the point where they don't even buy TV's let alone cable service. I think we're probably only a couple years away like you both said.

I have friends that have netflix, a digital antenna, and wait until the next day to see whatever show's they watch (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc).  You're exactly right.  It's part wanting to cut costs, part the "I want it now" mindset.  Instead of flipping through channels to find 95% options you don't care for you can log in to Netflix and stream whatever you want to see instantly.

I went ahead and bought a Google Chromecast last night. It's $35, so where can you go wrong giving it a shot?

If you open up your laptop, use the Chrome browser and outfit it with the Chromecast extension, you can stream content seamlessly to your TV.

Then, if you use a web-based sports site, you're set. All video on the browser will always have the "Chromecast" button to shoot it over to your TV. Supposedly this works for anything you watch in that browser, sports, videos of babies playing with cats, anything.

The laptop can even go into "sleep" mode and won't lose the signal.

We're like 90% there.

If you don't mind, keep us updated on how it goes.  

I use that to view some Jets games, but it's already been shut down once before.  You also have to deal with annoying pop ups and usually a laggy/pixelated picture...but when you have no other options it is worth it.

I have friends that have netflix, a digital antenna, and wait until the next day to see whatever show's they watch (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc).  You're exactly right.  It's part wanting to cut costs, part the "I want it now" mindset.  Instead of flipping through channels to find 95% options you don't care for you can log in to Netflix and stream whatever you want to see instantly.

I guess that's true. You're always in "the hunt" for the website giving decent sports service.

I just bought a house, and have a daughter due next week. Obviously, I'm cutting back on spending. I already went down to the lowest level on directv, but it's still over $100 a month. The only reason I have it is for the NFL package.

I'm considering dropping it. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, there's enough for me to watch. Sports is the only tickle in the back of my brain, telling me to wait. Not sure that I can live without ESPN and the NFL network.

I just bought a house, and have a daughter due next week. Obviously, I'm cutting back on spending. I already went down to the lowest level on directv, but it's still over $100 a month. The only reason I have it is for the NFL package.

I'm considering dropping it. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, there's enough for me to watch. Sports is the only tickle in the back of my brain, telling me to wait. Not sure that I can live without ESPN and the NFL network.

This morning it occurred to me that it's not just ESPN and NFL Network.

Goodbye hockey, because MSG obviously is not available, unless you get NHL Gamecast, a paid service. Gamecast is $4/month if you pay upfront.

Baseball is 50/50. If you're a Mets fan like myself, which dovetails nicely with Jets purgatory, you're fine with the digital antenna because you get channel 11. If you're a Yankees fan, you lose them to SNY or ESPN, unless you get the MLB network. Roku offers MLB Network, which is obviously a service you pay for.  MLB TV basic is $9 a month. (109/year)

Goodbye pro hoops. Knicks obviously on MSG, Nets on YES. I watch pro hoops once a year. No loss to me, personally. 

If you do the math:

$40 for internet.

$8 for Netflix

$9 for MLB TV

$4 for NHL Gamecast

$8.25 Amazon Instant Video -- added benefit of all year, no more cost, fast Amazon shipping

$7.99 Hulu Plus

_______

$79.25 /month, not including any taxes your internet tacks on.

In this scenario I get way more baseball and hockey than I'm currently watching. Probably over exposed by a mile to videos and tv that I'll never watch. I doubt I would subscribe to all those services.

I've had a Chromecast for a few months now, and I'm very satisfied. I wouldn't say it's a cable replacement though. Can't wait to try and stream some games during the season to see how it works out.

I've had a Chromecast for a few months now, and I'm very satisfied. I wouldn't say it's a cable replacement though. Can't wait to try and stream some games during the season to see how it works out.

I setup my Chromecast last night, and already feel as if I have made the best purchase for $35 that I'll ever make in my life.

You literally just stick the Chromecast into the back of the TV on an HDMI port, plug in the cord to USB or use the extension to plug into the wall, and then you follow the on screen instructions to let it connect to your router. You can proceed with your side of the setup either via your cell or laptop. Took me less than two minutes out of box to full functionality.

The best feature, by far, is being able to use your cell phone as your remote, and then keep using the cell phone for other uses while your media is playing on the TV. We used HBO GO last night to watch True Detective, which I loaded up from the cell. That didn't stop me from browsing my online browser the whole time. I was able to "Cast" YouTube videos off the phone to the TV, and then while the video was playing, look up new ones on the phone.

I use the Chrome browser on a Mac, so downloaded the Chromecast extension into the browser, expecting trouble. NOPE. Load a webpage. If you want to Cast the whole page onto the TV, you can go right ahead. Maximize a video in the webpage, and up goes the full video in perfect quality onto the TV.

The fact that they are only offering this for $35 makes me think that Google is just flipping the bird to Apple just to say "this technology is child's play to us." I would've paid twice this, easy.

I setup my Chromecast last night, and already feel as if I have made the best purchase for $35 that I'll ever make in my life.

Easily one of my better purchases in recent memory, Plex is awesome too if you have a local library of movies I highly recommend that. 

Just got two non-play store apps called Show Box and video mix pro. Between the two of them are probably every movie and show you can imagine. I had one instance of no lag, and one instance of choppy lag. I think the lag may have been because wife was on her laptop while I was trying to watch, but this is kind of shady, offshore based stuff so it also could have been that. Either way I'm casting straight from the phone to the tube, which is great

• 3 weeks later...

1. Comcast is the devil

2.  It looks like you did it, but I was going to say to just get the chromecast and try it out.  You will figure out pretty quick if you still need the cable. I have two roku (rokus?) and a chromecast.  I prefer the chromecast and it is considerably cheaper.  My girl bought a roku 3 and it is faster and nicer than the older one.  I had a 2 to run on an older set that does not have HDMI. 

3.  I lived overseas for 5 years and streaming the games was not the hot ticket. I did not miss any, but some of the feeds were pretty ugly and it is totally hit and miss.  There are games where you lose it halfway through the first quarter and you never know what you are going to get until the game starts.  

4.  I have 2 houses in NY and live in an apartment in Alexandria.  I am contemplating dumping the cable everywhere but one house and then going with a slingbox for the others.  We will see how that works, but I have been saying it for ages.  

1. Comcast is the devil

2. It looks like you did it, but I was going to say to just get the chromecast and try it out. You will figure out pretty quick if you still need the cable. I have two roku (rokus?) and a chromecast. I prefer the chromecast and it is considerably cheaper. My girl bought a roku 3 and it is faster and nicer than the older one. I had a 2 to run on an older set that does not have HDMI.

3. I lived overseas for 5 years and streaming the games was not the hot ticket. I did not miss any, but some of the feeds were pretty ugly and it is totally hit and miss. There are games where you lose it halfway through the first quarter and you never know what you are going to get until the game starts.

4. I have 2 houses in NY and live in an apartment in Alexandria. I am contemplating dumping the cable everywhere but one house and then going with a slingbox for the others. We will see how that works, but I have been saying it for ages.

Chromecast is great, very flexible, but Roku offers all of those channels. Are they mostly useless?

I figured that with a digital antenna I should be covered for almost all of my sports.

Chromecast is great, very flexible, but Roku offers all of those channels. Are they mostly useless?

I figured that with a digital antenna I should be covered for almost all of my sports.

I have not found any channels on Roku that I am particularly interested in.  I basically use it for netflix and youtube.  If anybody likes a roku channel I'd love to know.  I'd love to know the best way to run slingbox too.  It was too choppy in 2007 when I first considered it.  Digital antennas can be hit or miss.  My building is hard wired for broadcast, but down here you are not seeing the Jets much anyway.  AFC is Ravens, NFC is Skins. It Milan I didn't even have those options, so it was streaming feeds from wherever.  Japan, Norway, you name it. 

Archived