What rookies were you wrong about this past draft? Which surprised you?

Villain The Foe

I actually wrote that article lol. Funny story (kinda). We had Green Jets and Ham all lined up to write the draft review that year, he was all pumped up about it, then the night it was due, he sent me this bullsh*t "Winners and Losers" thing that was literally 20 words long. I spent that night looking up 40 times of seventh round WRs just so we'd have something on the front page. As it turns out, Deegan had gotten Ham to turn tails on us and write the draft review for JI. Quite the coup.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Misses:

Zach Mettenberger was a miss for sure. I thought he had skills, and though I think he would have benefitted from sitting the bench this year, he had his number called and just didn't  do anything with it.

Other miss that some poster on this board loves to point out to me is Kyle Fuller. I didn't think he was going to suck, I just thought he was the 3rd best CB behind Gilbert, and Dennard. Looks like he might be the best one. 

Kony Ealy. I thought he was first round material but he got drafted in the 2nd, which seems to be the right spot for him. 

Hits: 

Im not saying I knew they were going to be rookie of the years but my two favorite players in the draft were CJ Mosley and Odell Beckham. My best hit was Odell. Yea he's a first rounder but I really thought he was worth moving up a couple spots to get. Turns out he could be the gem of that draft. 

Others I rooted for the jets to get that of course we did not include basically every WR; Matthews and Davante Adams were my big 2nd rounders I wanted. I wasnt fond of Lee unless we got him in the 2nd round. jury is still out on him i guess. 

Lets see. I also thought Manziel wasnt good. He still has time to improve though I suppose . 

Odell is so damn good. I wanted the jets to get this f*n guy so bad. 

Oh, this is actually a great topic:  

Right About:   

I mostly "scouted" guys at skill positions.  I'm not that good at scouting guys on either side of the line, so I don't really bother with it. 

1.  Odell Beckham Jr.  I thought he was very good coming out of LSU.  Over at JI, there was a poster (forgot who) who was adamant that Cooks was better than Beckham, so overly researched him and came away even more impressed.  The one handed catches, he used to actually do them on kickoff returns at LSU too I believe.  Had great hands, great speed, and would high point the ball extremely well.  If he was maybe 2-3 inches taller, he would've been a top 3 pick IMO.  

2.  Mike Evans:  He made Manziel, very good at coming back to the ball, and just looked like someone that was going to be a matchup nightmare.   Although these two were very highly rated anyway, so nothing much to tout about here than going with the flow.

3.  Donte Moncrief:  The only reason this guy didn't go in the first round was because of Bo Wallace.  He would routinely miss wide open throws, or lead players too much into defenders or too high for them to run after catches.  If you based production, ability, and projection, he seemed like a poor man's Julio Jones.  

4.  Anthony Barr:  I thought he was a monster, but many doubted him with his production, and I saw him go as low as in the 20's in some mocks.  

5.  Teddy Bridgewater:  I have no idea why he fell, he had everything that teams looked towards in a QB.  Had the arm, mobility, "pro-system".   

6.   Zach Mettenberger:  I always felt he was over-rated.  Had the best WR combo in all of college football, with an excellent running game, and still was mediocre.  I didn't understand why people thought he was borderline first round guy before the injury.  

7.  Jhonny Manziel:  I think most people outside of Texas knew he was a horrible NFL prospect.

Wrong About:  

1.  Stanley-Jean Baptiste:  I thought he was a Sherman clone, someone who was going to be a steal.  

2.  Jackson Jeffcoat:  On pretty much every mock draft I did, I had him going to us in the third or fourth, and he hasn't done anything, and I don't think he was even picked in the draft.  

3.  Eric Ebron:  I thought he would be a matchup nightmare at TE, but it didn't quite turn out that way.   

4.  Clinton-Dix:  I was shocked he wasn't our pick for safety when he came up.  He seemed like the perfect fit for us, since we needed someone that could act as a centerfielder out there than a hard hitter.  However, he hasn't been all that great either.  

5.  Kevlin Benjamin:  I thought he was a bit over-rated and I didn't really like him too much after the combine either, but he's proven to be good.  He was the only one on that team that teams even thought about stopping, and still put up stats. 

Archived