Comic Books

Jetlife33

Around where I live it's pretty easy since there are only about a half-dozen auction houses that do anything with any sort of regularity. Most of them have mailing lists and websites that will update you on what they've got coming up.

For doing local searches there are a few good websites you can check out and look for stuff around your zip code-- auctionzip.com is probably the most popular of those. Most auction houses will upload pictures of their stuff ahead of time so you can get an idea of what's there.

It sounds kind of old-timey, but the local newspaper is usually a good place to look as well; a lot of places still advertise their auctions that way.

This is the best time of year for it; there's so much stuff going on every weekend it's hard choosing which ones to go to.

Cool, thanks for the info

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figured I'd post an update on that comics auction I was poking around this week--it ended today. The Marvel books ended up going for $30.00, which isn't too surprising. The Archie/Beetle Bailey etc. stuff went in the $12.50-15.00 range for each stack. Interestingly enough, there was a stack of 20 books with Wendy, Casper and Sad Sack stuff that went for $27.50. A lot of them didn't even have the covers. Go figure. 

51079645.jpg

51079649.jpg

How many books were in that stack?

28 in all. There were about 8-10 Conan with a handful of random Thor and Hulk issues. The rest was Li'l Kids and some other nonsense that didn't seem to amount to much of anything. They looked to be in decent shape overall but not stellar. I was hoping to get a couple stacks for 10 bucks or less but none of them went for that. 

There was some good stuff there, though. I did end up buying a few 60s-70s era toys and a couple big boxes of old beer cans that I'm hoping to dig through and find a few good ones. They also had a Mego Planet of the Apes village from '74 there. I'm kicking myself a little bit this morning for not buying it but I wasn't sure if everything was in there. I was fighting with another dude on it and gave up around the $200 mark.  

51081114.jpg

Hey Rutgers/other Marvel guys:

What are these? Saw 'em in an auction lot; I'm assuming they're worthless since they say "Collector," but I just wanted to be sure.

51758390.jpg

51758381.jpg

Those are indeed probably worthless. BUT, it's one of the most awesome series that Marvel ever did. It's got Alex Ross' art, (from Kingdom Come) and some fantastic writing from Brian Kusiek. Marvels chronicles the birth and evolution of the Marvel Universe through the perspective of humans and reporters, so it's a very different take on things.

If that's the whole lot of books, you could probably get, I dunno, 30 bucks? So if it's only a few dollars on your end it's worth it. But I'd recommend buying them just for the read. Great, great underappreciated series from them.

Those are indeed probably worthless. BUT, it's one of the most awesome series that Marvel ever did. It's got Alex Ross' art, (from Kingdom Come) and some fantastic writing from Brian Kusiek. Marvels chronicles the birth and evolution of the Marvel Universe through the perspective of humans and reporters, so it's a very different take on things.

If that's the whole lot of books, you could probably get, I dunno, 30 bucks? So if it's only a few dollars on your end it's worth it. But I'd recommend buying them just for the read. Great, great underappreciated series from them.

Right on. Thanks for the info as always. I'll throw a small bid on there and see what happens. If nothing else I'm sure they'd be worth reading, and I'm sure my daughters would probably like them as well. They're starting to get into Teen Titans (because of the cartoon) and a little Wonder Woman/Supergirl here and there. It's pretty strange trying to introduce them to old school comic books (or really, old school anything) with the internet and all, but I think they're intrigued. 

*Shakes cane*

*Get off my lawn*

So they're doing an animated feature of The Killing Joke and Hamill is reprising his Joker for it. Can't even begin to explain how exciting this is. I'm sure Leto will be great, Cesar Romero is iconic, Nicholson was fine, Ledger was epic, but to me Mark Hamill IS The Joker. Nobody has owned the character like he has IMO.

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/7/27/mark-hamill-confirmed-to-return-as-the-joker-for-killing-joke

So they're doing an animated feature of The Killing Joke and Hamill is reprising his Joker for it. Can't even begin to explain how exciting this is. I'm sure Leto will be great, Cesar Romero is iconic, Nicholson was fine, Ledger was epic, but to me Mark Hamill IS The Joker. Nobody has owned the character like he has IMO.

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/7/27/mark-hamill-confirmed-to-return-as-the-joker-for-killing-joke

Have you seen the trailer for Suicide Squad?

Have you seen the trailer for Suicide Squad?

I have. Loved it. I'm a big David Ayer fan so I've been excited about this one since they announced it. Leto and Smith aside, Robbie looks like she pulled off Harley Quinn like a boss, which is impressive because that can't be an easy character to play a live version of.

I have. Loved it. I'm a big David Ayer fan so I've been excited about this one since they announced it. Leto and Smith aside, Robbie looks like she pulled off Harley Quinn like a boss, which is impressive because that can't be an easy character to play a live version of.

It looks soooo good, I can't wait to see it. I think Leto is going to kill it ( in a good way )

It looks soooo good, I can't wait to see it. I think Leto is going to kill it ( in a good way )

I think the Joker is an easy part to play for a good actor, which Leto definitely is. No surprise he looked awesome in the trailer. There are so many iterations and so much source material. Lots of stuff to pick and choose from to channel. I know a lot of the Internet has a problem with the tats and the grill, but whatever, I've always been of the opinion that anyone who acts like there are rules to comics is completely missing the point.

Supposedly they're going more the homicidal maniac route than organized crime leader, which I like. I think Nolan found a good balance with that with Ledger, but I've been dying to see the Neal Adams/Alan Moore/Jim Starlin Joker on screen forever. The rumor is that they're doing a Death in the Family flashback in BvS with Snyder's son playing Jason, which I'm praying is true. Give me Robin getting beaten to death with a crowbar and blown up please. That's the Joker I grew up with.

badboy.jpg?t=1291144531

Joker_JasonTodd.jpg

I think the Joker is an easy part to play for a good actor, which Leto definitely is. No surprise he looked awesome in the trailer. There are so many iterations and so much source material. Lots of stuff to pick and choose from to channel. I know a lot of the Internet has a problem with the tats and the grill, but whatever, I've always been of the opinion that anyone who acts like there are rules to comics is completely missing the point.

Supposedly they're going more the homicidal maniac route than organized crime leader, which I like. I think Nolan found a good balance with that with Ledger, but I've been dying to see the Neal Adams/Alan Moore/Jim Starlin Joker on screen forever. The rumor is that they're doing a Death in the Family flashback in BvS with Snyder's son playing Jason, which I'm praying is true. Give me Robin getting beaten to death with a crowbar and blown up please. That's the Joker I grew up with.

badboy.jpg?t=1291144531

Joker_JasonTodd.jpg

Well, from the BvS trailer alone, we see that the Joker did a number to Robin's costume:

Screen-Shot-2015-07-13-at-1.25.42-PM.png

Archived