Comic Books

Jetlife33

Reminds me of a funny story... when I arrived in 10th grade, our first assignment in art class was to draw a cover for our art project portfolio (which was just 2 pieces of posterboard taped together). I drew a montage of Marvel characters, mostly X-Men, with Rogue... the newly unveiled version of her... as the centerpiece.

Art teacher turned it into one of those "all hands" on deck intervention things, basically because 1.) he was like holy **** this kid is talented, and 2.) he didn't know how to react to me drawing something that probably gave him a chubby. They considered suspending me. My father and mother both laughed at them until they calmed their uppity asses down and let it be. 

It was actually a drawing that I recreated from an issue where she was dressed like this:

Rogue-UXM269.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of a funny story... when I arrived in 10th grade, our first assignment in art class was to draw a cover for our art project portfolio (which was just 2 pieces of posterboard taped together). I drew a montage of Marvel characters, mostly X-Men, with Rogue... the newly unveiled version of her... as the centerpiece.

Art teacher turned it into one of those "all hands" on deck intervention things, basically because 1.) he was like holy **** this kid is talented, and 2.) he didn't know how to react to me drawing something that probably gave him a chubby. They considered suspending me. My father and mother both laughed at them until they calmed their uppity asses down and let it be. 

It was actually a drawing that I recreated from an issue where she was dressed like this:

Rogue-UXM269.jpg

now I got a chubby.

I read heavily during that 7-8 years.

To me, the work Jim Lee was doing with X-Men was more impressive than what McFarlane was doing with Spiderman... and I LOVED Spidey and McFarlane. That's not a knock on either. I believe I have books that introduce Bishop, Deadpool, Psylocke, and Gambit... might have Cable's introduction too. We'll see when I finally start digging through the boxes.

The 90's writing and art for the X-Men was insane though... I'd buy and issue, read it, then go back through it and re-draw every cell that I liked. I'd spend hours basically matching some of the best comic artists of that stretch, one hashmark after another.

Jim Lee is a legend. His work on X-Men is responsible for getting a whooole lot of people into comics. And the series of covers he did for Vol 2 #1 belong at or near the top of any list.

In the collector's edition of Hush, Jeph Loeb admits to completely losing his sh*t when he found out that Lee was going to be doing the penciling. After Neal Adams I don't think anyone did Batman better.

3458417-5839658305-jim-l.jpg

****. I'm going to have to get into my box of stuff tonight... I can't stand fighting with my memory on what I own vs. what I remember reading/seeing. 

Totally agree on Jim Lee with Batman too. I didn't read a lot of Batman, unfortunately, but I bought it now and then just for cover art.

Going through what I've been able to find... feels like sh*t is missing... but I do have the first appearance of Bishop and Gambit, among some other stuff I've got to look up.

If the 266 is well taken care of and near mint, I would send that off to CGC to be graded if I were you. But only if it's mint.

If the 266 is well taken care of and near mint, I would send that off to CGC to be graded if I were you. But only if it's mint.

I've only gone through a few things, but I've got X-Men 266 with Gambit, the Infinity Gauntlet series, X-Men 282, 283 with Bishop, X-Force 2 with Deadpool... so, how does this CGC thing work?

I've also got Star Wars 68, the second appearance of Boba Fett... but it's not mint.

I would say the only book worth the time in terms of grading is the Gambit book. If you post some pictures, I can give you a sense of if its worth it. If you do, make sure you post the front and back covers, as well as a spread of the book open to the middle so I can see the staples. And make sure you flip through and check for any stains or water marks,

CGC is the most popular form of grading. You normally mail them your book and it takes a few months, but they do appear at conventions and you can have your book sent out or graded by the end of the weekend.

I would say the only book worth the time in terms of grading is the Gambit book. If you post some pictures, I can give you a sense of if its worth it. If you do, make sure you post the front and back covers, as well as a spread of the book open to the middle so I can see the staples. And make sure you flip through and check for any stains or water marks,

CGC is the most popular form of grading. You normally mail them your book and it takes a few months, but they do appear at conventions and you can have your book sent out or graded by the end of the weekend.

I'm hesitant to take it out of the polypropylene sleeve. I bought it, read it once, stuck it in the sleeve and it's been like that since.

CGC has a good reputation of returning the book in good condition and all that? This is all foreign to me.

I'm hesitant to take it out of the polypropylene sleeve. I bought it, read it once, stuck it in the sleeve and it's been like that since.

CGC has a good reputation of returning the book in good condition and all that? This is all foreign to me.

Lol, believe it or not this is very normal for novices. You'll be fine. Just wash your hands and take the tape off of the plastic before you pull it out of the sleeve.

Yes. They're the best in the business. It will be returned in an airtight plastic slab and properly graded, like this:

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Comic-Book-Grad

Lol, believe it or not this is very normal for novices. You'll be fine. Just wash your hands and take the tape off of the plastic before you pull it out of the sleeve.

Yes. They're the best in the business. It will be returned in an airtight plastic slab and properly graded, like this:

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Comic-Book-Grad

Gotcha.

So, as I've been sitting here, I came across a handful of Amazing Spidey's that all ave $20-70 valuations on that CPG.com website. It's what I'm using for ballparks, just to remove stuff work $10 or more from my stack. I'm fairly in awe of the value on some of them. Damn.

Gotcha.

So, as I've been sitting here, I came across a handful of Amazing Spidey's that all ave $20-70 valuations on that CPG.com website. It's what I'm using for ballparks, just to remove stuff work $10 or more from my stack. I'm fairly in awe of the value on some of them. Damn.

There are a few hiccups with that, but it's dependent on which issues you're talking about and the condition of the books. What are the issue numbers for the Spider-Mans?

There are a few hiccups with that, but it's dependent on which issues you're talking about and the condition of the books. What are the issue numbers for the Spider-Mans?

Amazing #344-347 ... all stuff dealing with Venom/Cletus Cassidy

Amazing #239 ... 2nd appearance of Hobgoblin

Oof I didn't realize which cover that was with the Star Wars 68. Yeah, if that's mint I'd send that out. I'd probably be interested in that too if you didn't want to deal with the hassle of putting it on the market.

yeah, it's this

NwAxADgAMgAzAA==.jpg

fairly decent shape too... this is from the milk crate at a garage sale that i mentioned earlier in thread... my parents bought the whole thing for me because my eye swell shut from allergies on the way to Jersey to see relatives, it was a "get better" gift

I sort of love this book, it's not mint, maybe I'll just frame it for my office or something one day. I can put it on the same shelf as my AT-AT Lego model.

Amazing #344-347 ... all stuff dealing with Venom/Cletus Cassidy

Amazing #239 ... 2nd appearance of Hobgoblin

Those are going to be a little harder to move on their own. The web is flooded with some of those issues and are not hard to find for under book value. Not impossible, but they are not in high demand excepting the 344, which you can probably get a decent price for if they introduce Cassidy into the new movies at any point.

yeah, it's this

NwAxADgAMgAzAA==.jpg

fairly decent shape too... this is from the milk crate at a garage sale that i mentioned earlier in thread... my parents bought the whole thing for me because my eye swell shut from allergies on the way to Jersey to see relatives, it was a "get better" gift

I sort of love this book, it's not mint, maybe I'll just frame it for my office or something one day. I can put it on the same shelf as my AT-AT Lego model.

That's the right idea. Don't sell the books you love. You'll hate yourself for it down the line.

Read the killing joke, so incredibly awesome even till this day. Just as good as the first time I read it.

I've also read the first 3 issues of the flash, not great or terrible. Decent.

Check out The Flashpoint Paradox. Probably the best Flash book and definitely one of DCs best since the reboot. Also contains one of the best alternative takes on Batman you'll ever see.

Thought this might be of some novelty interest here...

The Comic-Book Star Who Was Less a Superhero Than a Handler
2 1

screen_shot_20150713_at_4.10.12_pm.png.C

All week, we’ll be presenting our favorite half-baked superheroes from comic book history, excerpted from The League of Regrettable Superheroes by Jon Morris. Out now from Quirk Books.

KANGAROO MAN

Created by: S. M. Iger and Chuck Winters

Debuted in: Choice Comics No. 1 (Great Comics Publications, December 1941)

Notable characteristics: No pouch, no tail—hey, is this guy even really a kangaroo?

© 1941 Great Comics Publications

The cover of Choice Comics billed Kangaroo Man’s debut as “the most unusual feature in comics.” That’s a difficult claim to defend, but it’s clear this was an atypical sort of superhero. For one thing, Kangaroo Man wasn’t even really the star of his own feature. That honor fell to his marsupial sidekick, a crime-smashing, Nazi-bashing, and wise-cracking kangaroo named Bingo!

The saga commences as Jack Brian—the eponymous Kangaroo Man and “daredevil American explorer”—returns to his native country from a tour of Australia, arriving with a trained kangaroo in tow. “I found Bingo on the Australian plains two years ago,” he explains to an old friend. “He’s trained now so he’s practically human. He understands my commands and signals like a soldier.”

screen_shot_20150713_at_12.48.36_pm_2.pn

That description of Bingo’s responsiveness is blatantly underselling his potential. Gifted with an apparently unlimited understanding of human speech, Bingo also seems to possess a human intelligence and wry tough-talking personality. Although the ’roo’s own speech is limited to a series of hiss-like rasps—variations on “Rssp!” and “Rsp!”—Bingo’s often quite complicated thoughts are translated for the readers. “Trust me pals, Bingo won’t let you down,” he silently reassures his human friends in a moment of peril. “Who says kangaroos can’t master strategy,” he ponders while making short work of a deadly mountain lion. “Can’t say I enjoy this kind of transportation,” thinks Bingo while riding a motorcycle.

In addition to his human intelligence and nonstop patter, Bingo masters some pretty impressive skills. Besides possessing top-notch hand-to-hand (and foot and tail) fighting techniques and knowing his way around a motorbike, Bingo walks the wings of a plane in flight and hops away unharmed after his tail is run over by a German tank. On the cover of his second appearance, he’s mopping the floor with a trio of presumably superpowered masked herotypes. “These silly zooming ‘super guys’ amuse me!” thinks the cantankerous kangaroo while effortlessly batting his super-powerful opponents like rag dolls.

As for Jack Brian, so-called Kangaroo Man, he’s almost a supporting character in his own feature—but then again, how do you compete with a wisecracking kangaroo? Kangaroo Man is hard-pressed to offer much more than a roundhouse punch and the occasional bit of gunplay when trouble comes calling. In fact, the most important contribution Kangaroo Man seems to make is to reward Bingo with a tidbit of cod liver oil.

Excerpted from The League of Regrettable Superheroes by Jon Morris. Reprinted with permissions from Quirk Books.

Thought this might be of some novelty interest here...

The Comic-Book Star Who Was Less a Superhero Than a Handler
2 1

screen_shot_20150713_at_4.10.12_pm.png.C

All week, we’ll be presenting our favorite half-baked superheroes from comic book history, excerpted from The League of Regrettable Superheroes by Jon Morris. Out now from Quirk Books.

KANGAROO MAN

Created by: S. M. Iger and Chuck Winters

Debuted in: Choice Comics No. 1 (Great Comics Publications, December 1941)

Notable characteristics: No pouch, no tail—hey, is this guy even really a kangaroo?

© 1941 Great Comics Publications

The cover of Choice Comics billed Kangaroo Man’s debut as “the most unusual feature in comics.” That’s a difficult claim to defend, but it’s clear this was an atypical sort of superhero. For one thing, Kangaroo Man wasn’t even really the star of his own feature. That honor fell to his marsupial sidekick, a crime-smashing, Nazi-bashing, and wise-cracking kangaroo named Bingo!

The saga commences as Jack Brian—the eponymous Kangaroo Man and “daredevil American explorer”—returns to his native country from a tour of Australia, arriving with a trained kangaroo in tow. “I found Bingo on the Australian plains two years ago,” he explains to an old friend. “He’s trained now so he’s practically human. He understands my commands and signals like a soldier.”

screen_shot_20150713_at_12.48.36_pm_2.pn

That description of Bingo’s responsiveness is blatantly underselling his potential. Gifted with an apparently unlimited understanding of human speech, Bingo also seems to possess a human intelligence and wry tough-talking personality. Although the ’roo’s own speech is limited to a series of hiss-like rasps—variations on “Rssp!” and “Rsp!”—Bingo’s often quite complicated thoughts are translated for the readers. “Trust me pals, Bingo won’t let you down,” he silently reassures his human friends in a moment of peril. “Who says kangaroos can’t master strategy,” he ponders while making short work of a deadly mountain lion. “Can’t say I enjoy this kind of transportation,” thinks Bingo while riding a motorcycle.

In addition to his human intelligence and nonstop patter, Bingo masters some pretty impressive skills. Besides possessing top-notch hand-to-hand (and foot and tail) fighting techniques and knowing his way around a motorbike, Bingo walks the wings of a plane in flight and hops away unharmed after his tail is run over by a German tank. On the cover of his second appearance, he’s mopping the floor with a trio of presumably superpowered masked herotypes. “These silly zooming ‘super guys’ amuse me!” thinks the cantankerous kangaroo while effortlessly batting his super-powerful opponents like rag dolls.

As for Jack Brian, so-called Kangaroo Man, he’s almost a supporting character in his own feature—but then again, how do you compete with a wisecracking kangaroo? Kangaroo Man is hard-pressed to offer much more than a roundhouse punch and the occasional bit of gunplay when trouble comes calling. In fact, the most important contribution Kangaroo Man seems to make is to reward Bingo with a tidbit of cod liver oil.

Excerpted from The League of Regrettable Superheroes by Jon Morris. Reprinted with permissions from Quirk Books.

I have that book on my Kindle waiting to be read. I actually have a Bee-Man #1. So bad, but so good.

The last time I was reading new stuff I was really young, so it's been a while for me. The batman series sounds good to me to start back up again. So how does it work do I get the beginning issue to start? Or do I get the last issued one? Thanks for the input RJF.

Most of those runs are available in graphics novel format - trade paperback. Barnes and Noble and Amazon have them both available to the general public'

Since you said it's been a while, I would also recommend Batman: Hush

Incredible work done by Jim Lee.

There's an online estate auction going on right now from a company kind of close to where I live, and there are some mid-60s/early-70s books in there. I won't be able to check out the stuff in person until Thursday at the open house, so I'm not sure how good it'll be. Some of the books look meh (Beetle Bailey, Archie, etc.) but there's one lot with some promising-looking Hulk/Avengers stuff in it. I can't tell what's what, though. 

51079661.jpg

51079671.jpg

So I went to check out this auction open house yesterday and it was pretty much a bust. All these comics are from the 70s but none is anything special. There were about a dozen issues of Conan in this stack with some random Thor, Hulk and Marvel Super-Heroes thrown in--no more Avengers or anything unfortunately. There were also a couple of books called "Li'l Kids," which I've never even heard of. 

994922-lilkids9_12_72.jpg

There was also a stack of DC books, but it was all supporting characters and nonsense. I can't imagine there's a huge collector market for Jimmy f*ckin' Olsen. 

Jimmy_Olsen_Vol_1_101.jpg

On the bright side, I did buy a pretty big lot of old breweriana stuff this week, so if anyone is in the market for a vintage beer coaster, I'm your guy. 

So I went to check out this auction open house yesterday and it was pretty much a bust. All these comics are from the 70s but none is anything special. There were about a dozen issues of Conan in this stack with some random Thor, Hulk and Marvel Super-Heroes thrown in--no more Avengers or anything unfortunately.

Sounds like my stuff!  I actually did have a bunch of Avengers and Fantastic 4 stuff, but I tend to think some of my other cousins thinned that herd long ago.

There was also a stack of DC books, but it was all supporting characters and nonsense. I can't imagine there's a huge collector market for Jimmy f*ckin' Olsen.

There actually is. Just not that issue but there are a few very valuable books. Darkseid debuted in that series.

There actually is. Just not that issue but there are a few very valuable books. Darkseid debuted in that series.

Yeah, I didn't even know that until I got home yesterday and started looking that stuff up and doing a little research. I wish that one had been in there. It's a pretty sweet (and apparently valuable) cover. 

Jimmy_Olsen_134.jpg

The stuff in that stack seemed to be a little later, like right before the series ended and they were running out of ideas. I didn't realize it was published for 20 years--for some reason I was thinking it was just a campy late 60s-70s spinoff that didn't go anywhere. 

If those books go cheap enough I might pick them up just for the hell of it. Both the Marvel and DC stacks are sitting at $2.50 right now. I have a feeling they'll both end up closing in the $20-30 range, though. 

So I went to check out this auction open house yesterday and it was pretty much a bust. All these comics are from the 70s but none is anything special. There were about a dozen issues of Conan in this stack with some random Thor, Hulk and Marvel Super-Heroes thrown in--no more Avengers or anything unfortunately. There were also a couple of books called "Li'l Kids," which I've never even heard of. 

994922-lilkids9_12_72.jpg

On the bright side, I did buy a pretty big lot of old breweriana stuff this week, so if anyone is in the market for a vintage beer coaster, I'm your guy. 

Not interested in comics, but auctions in general. Where do you find your info about them and where they are?

Not interested in comics, but auctions in general. Where do you find your info about them and where they are?

Around where I live it's pretty easy since there are only about a half-dozen auction houses that do anything with any sort of regularity. Most of them have mailing lists and websites that will update you on what they've got coming up. 

For doing local searches there are a few good websites you can check out and look for stuff around your zip code-- auctionzip.com is probably the most popular of those. Most auction houses will upload pictures of their stuff ahead of time so you can get an idea of what's there. 

It sounds kind of old-timey, but the local newspaper is usually a good place to look as well; a lot of places still advertise their auctions that way. 

This is the best time of year for it; there's so much stuff going on every weekend it's hard choosing which ones to go to. 

Sounds like my stuff!  I actually did have a bunch of Avengers and Fantastic 4 stuff, but I tend to think some of my other cousins thinned that herd long ago.

I know the feeling; I remember having so much cool stuff as a kid that my brothers and friends either broke or borrowed and never returned. I have a bunch of old toys and stuff in my garage that I've found at flea markets/auctions and bought only because I remember having them as a kid. 

I know the feeling; I remember having so much cool stuff as a kid that my brothers and friends either broke or borrowed and never returned. I have a bunch of old toys and stuff in my garage that I've found at flea markets/auctions and bought only because I remember having them as a kid. 

Nah.  I have everything.  How much is Marvin the Mustang worth?  I have one and it is perfect except for the bridle being brittle.

marvel_the_mustang.jpg

I know it is Marvel, but mine was Marvin.

Nah.  I have everything.  How much is Marvin the Mustang worth?  I have one and it is perfect except for the bridle being brittle.

marvel_the_mustang.jpg

I know it is Marvel, but mine was Marvin.

The vintage ones from the late 60s look like they're going for $200+ in decent shape on Ebay. 

Archived