" Enunwa Brings the 'Q' Dimension to Jets Offense " ~ ~ ~

kelly

WR Tells 'Inside the Jets' Radio Show How He Developed His Blocker/Receiver Versatility

Over the last the five weeks, wideout

Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif has brought another dimension to the Jets offense. Whether the 6'2", 225-pounder is blocking or catching a short Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif pass in overtime and taking it 48 yards to help the Green & White beat the Patriots, Enunwa is maximizing his opportunities.“I just have been trying to take advantage of what I can do,” said Enunwa while appearing on the club’s weekly Monday night radio show, “Inside the Jets.” “I know what advantages I have on other defenses, so I try to use my speed well. My strength, the coaches trust me to learn the blocking game, the blocking rules, so that’s something that I really tried to work hard on. I learned the whole system, not just what I’m supposed to do but what everyone else is supposed to do.”

Any player in the NFL will tell you that the more you can do, the better chances you’ll have of seeing the playing field. This is a seed that was planted early in Enunwa’s football career.

“That’s something my high school coach really harped on, to be as versatile as possible,” he said. “The more you can do, the better. When you can do more for the team, the coaches can use you in different ways and I’m the prime example. I try to make sure I can block as well as the tight ends. That way I can find ways to get on the field. I’m not the best receiver but I can be the best 'Q'.”

While Enunwa learned valuable lessons at Rancho Verde HS in Moreno Valley, CA, he is receiving on the job training from one of the best wide receivers in the game, Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif.“The crazy thing is last year being on the practice squad,” said Enunwa. “My job was to mimic the other receivers. And just to watch his film and see what he did, his techniques and tendencies and try to mimic that on the field. It was hard. And now to see it in person how hard he works to do it and the things that he did, it’s amazing. I really try to pick off as much as I can from his brain. He really is smart on the field and technically sound and he is always ready to teach the young guys. I’m always ready to learn.”

Throughout the last six games, Enunwa has registered eight first downs and two third-down conversions. He also has 25 targets and13 catches, totaling 216 yards and at least one first down in each game.But, after missing on a deep pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick in the closing seconds of regulation against the Patriots, Enunwa knew he wanted to come back strong.“It was little simple slant/flat combinations,” said the first-year man from Nebraska. “We just kind of got a great rub — me and KT [Kenbrell Thompkinsicon-article-link.gif] had been running that play the whole game. We practiced it hard throughout the week and as soon as I caught the ball and turned around, I just saw the play develop so well. And from then on, I tried to score for the team.”

The simple catch and run for 48 yards would blew the roof off of MetLife Stadium as Jets Nation cheered the Green & White on to victory.

“You know, as soon as I saw the field in front of me and I could hear the crowd yelling. 'GO-GO-GO,' I saw everyone on the sideline jumping up and down, all I had on my mind was just try to make up for last time and try to get into the end zone this time," he said.Building on the momentum from last week, the Jets are gearing up for their regular-season finale against the Buffalo Bills. Even with Sunday’s win-and-you’re-in implication, the Green & White are approaching this matchup no differently.

“I don’t think we want to take it any more than any other week,” said Enunwa. “Mentally you have to stay focused and stay in your lane. I think for me, this is one game and it’s just one step toward the final goal.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Enunwa-Brings-the-Q-Dimension-to-Jets-Offense/ffdcf598-16c4-4b3f-aaa2-1a978fa52113

I like Enunwa as a WR (though hopefully he doesn't have any "personal conduct" issues going forward).  He might not have the greatest hands (though I find it hard to believe he can't drastically improve) but he's an "unusual" weapon given his strength and speed and how he "runs angry". 

-- Quincy Enunwa began the season with zero NFL catches and no guarantee he'd make the New York Jets' roster. Now he's a virtual starter and has two of the biggest receptions of the season -- a season interrupted by a four-game suspension.

Almost every successful team has an out-of-nowhere player. Enunwa, nicknamed "Q" by his teammates, is that guy. Five things you should know about him:

1. Enunwa (pronounced: uh-NUN-wuh) was born and raised in southern California -- barely. His mother, Ngozi, left Nigeria when she was eight months pregnant, traveling to the United States to rejoin her husband and Quincy's father, Henry, who was attending Kansas Wesleyan University at the time. Prior to the move, Ngozi took courses in politics at a college in Russia. In the U.S., she studied to become a nurse. His father is self-employed. The family settled in Moreno Valley, where Quincy attended private school until the ninth grade and later Rancho Verde High School. He wasn't your typical California teen, though. He wasn't into skateboarding or surfing.

2. He played college ball at Nebraska, where he became a team captain and MVP in 2013. Enunwa played in a run-oriented offense, so his receiving statistics were modest by today's standards, but he's known for the longest reception in school history -- 99 yards. Facing Georgia in the 2014 TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl, he caught a Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass at the 45-yard line and sprinted the last 55 yards. It was his 12th receiving touchdown of the season, breaking the school record held by the legendary Johnny Rodgers. Enunwa played one year at Nebraska with current Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara. They've remained friends and will appear together at an upcoming charity event in Manhattan. "We have that Nigerian connection," Enunwa said.

3. Enunwa is a member of the "Idzik 12," the not-so-flattering nickname given to former general manager John Idzik's final draft class (2014). Only two members of the class have made an impact in the NFL -- first-round pick Calvin Pryor and Enunwa, who was selected in the sixth round. He outlasted the other two receivers in that class, Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans, both released by the Jets. Enunwa was selected 209th overall. The Jets owned back-to-back picks and they chose IK Enemkpali at No. 210 -- a decision that will live in infamy. Enemkpali punched out Geno Smith in training camp and was immediately released. It hasn't been an easy road for Enunwa, either.

4. One day after being waived at the end of the 2014 preseason, Enunwa was arrested for simple assault, an alleged incident involving his girlfriend in a hotel room near the Jets' facility. The charges were eventually dismissed, but he was disciplined by the NFL. The league, cracking down on domestic violence, handed down a four-game suspension -- Weeks 7 to 10 of the current season. He wasn't allowed to train with the team, so he worked out at a local gym, waiting for another shot. A lot of his career has been spent waiting. Enunwa was on the practice squad in 2014, but he learned a lot. As a member of the scout team, his job was to impersonate opponents' receivers. So he studied the likes of Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas and Brandon Marshall (now a teammate), expanding his knowledge of his craft. It's paying off now.

5. Rookie Devin Smith was projected as the No. 3 receiver at the start of training camp, but he got hurt and missed the preseason. It created an opportunity for Enunwa, who leap-frogged popular veteran Jeremy Kerley on the depth chart. The decision raised eyebrows, but offensive coordinator Chan Gailey was intrigued by Enunwa's size (6-foot-2, 225 pounds) and blocking ability. He saw Enunwa as a big receiver who could handle some of the tight end's blocking responsibilities, setting up potential matchup advantages in the passing game. He had a couple of early drops, but Enunwa has delivered in the past two victories. He made a critical 3rd-and-14 reception to help beat the Cowboys and his 48-yard catch against the Patriots last week set up the game-winning touchdown in overtime. Enunwa and fellow wideout Kenbrell Thompkins have emerged as valuable role players.

"You need to write more about those guys," Marshall said. "Those guys have really helped us out."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57615/quincy-enunwas-winding-road-to-jets-success-began-in-nigeria

Archived