Jets Decline Fifth-Year Option on CB Milliner

JetNation

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Point still is he never missed a game.

Only one surgery was significant, right?

Some more then others.  Knee scope, sports hernia tibia fracture.  Those I guess weren't significant.  He also had surgery on both shoulders.  That's always a concern for a defensive player.

Not trying to beat up on the kid, I was good with the pick when it was made.   But still 5 operations in a very short time

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually he never missed a game at Alabama

Fair enough. With the knock on him coming into the draft was his injury history I assumed he had missed some kind of time throughout college.

45 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So Mackenzie Alexander is "same team 10 year starter" level in the NFL, but he lasted all the way to us in the 2nd?  WTF are teams thinking, this guy should've been the 3rd overall pick obviously.  Hell, first overall. 

Has a better chance of starting day one and having a longer career than Hackenberg. That's for sure.

If he can stay healthy then he should get a lot more reps in practice and should get some playing time other than just special teams.  I still believe this kid can be a productive player but that means nothing because I also believe 2Pac is alive. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Don't think Miliner will be released unless he sucks in camp.  If he is released it causes 4.25 M in dead money, and 0 cap savings.  If you have to pay the guy might as well see if he's got anything.

I meant after this season, since we're not picking up his 5th year option. My bad, I should have worded that better. 

It's likely, but not necessary that Milliner leaves the team.  If they were to pick up his option, and he had a "decent" year, and stayed healthy, they would have to pay him the cost of the Transition player tag because he was drafted 9th.  That's a hefty sum.

If he has a decent year, but not really a break out year, they can just extend him a year or so at a much cheaper price..  Probably a long shot, but I think there is a chance Milliner has a decent year.

Archived