WHY JETS ARE LEAVING SHEA STADIUM

TuscanyTile2

On 2/25/2017 at 0:39 PM, HessStation said:

True story everytime i drive down the van wyck I hear, "...but there's no place to build a stadium in New York," and I want to snap my rear view mirror.

I believe you. Every time I think of Woody not taking Queens I want to snap his neck.

Then I think of him leaving Hofstra and I get really mad at him

The Jets left Shea Stadium because it was a dump, the Mets mistreated the organization, and Long Island season ticket holders were giving up their seats in disgust barely filling a paltry 59,000 seats.

Moving to brand new GIants Stadium attracted Manhattan corporate suite owners, rebuilt the season ticket fanbase with proud New Jerseyans, and led to MetLife Stadium in which the Jets now lead the AFC in attendance averaging over 78,000 fans per game, virtually tied for second in the entire NFL this year despite an awful roster.

This romantic myth of the good ol' Shea Stadium days can die a quick death now.  It never was that way.

SAR I

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I believe you. Every time I think of Woody not taking Queens I want to snap his neck.

Then I think of him leaving Hofstra and I get really mad at him

It was Long Island Jets fans giving up their season tickets in the late 70s that caused the Jets to move to New Jersey, and we're now here 34 years.  We were only in Shea Stadium for 18. 

Over 70% of MetLife Stadium season ticket holders are from New Jersey.  No way Woody Johnson was going to move his team to Queens and watch his core season ticket base struggle with bridge and tunnel traffic, no way refined Manhattan business executives comfortable in their NJ luxury suites were going to find themselves in Flushing.  That whole 2 day flirtation with the group from Queens was a token gesture, a way to say we looked into it before finalizing the New Meadowlands Stadium deal. 

Leaving Hofstra made even more sense, complete competitive disadvantage to have your players sit in sweltering summer traffic to get to a crappy training facility in Hempstead when your state-of-the-art training center in Florham Park a stonesthrow from where your players live goes empty.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It was Long Island Jets fans giving up their season tickets in the late 70s that caused the Jets to move to New Jersey, and we're now here 34 years.  We were only in Shea Stadium for 18. 

Over 70% of MetLife Stadium season ticket holders are from New Jersey.  No way Woody Johnson was going to move his team to Queens and watch his core season ticket base struggle with bridge and tunnel traffic, no way refined Manhattan business executives comfortable in their NJ luxury suites were going to find themselves in Flushing.  That whole 2 day flirtation with the group from Queens was a token gesture, a way to say we looked into it before finalizing the New Meadowlands Stadium deal. 

Leaving Hofstra made even more sense, complete competitive disadvantage to have your players sit in sweltering summer traffic to get to a crappy training facility in Hempstead when your state-of-the-art training center in Florham Park a stonesthrow from where your players live goes empty.

SAR I

That they're losers, perpetually, is worse yet.

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That they're losers, perpetually, is worse yet.

Not so, actually. 

While we didn't win a Championship, and up against the greatest dynasty in NFL history in our own division, the Jets averaged 9.5 wins per season for a span from 1998 to 2011 with a healthy quarterback, quite respectable. 

Look at the Woody Johnson era, specifically, over the 17 seasons he has owned the Jets we have 9 winning seasons, 6 non-losing seasons, and 6 playoff appearances which is not only the best stretch in team history, but it's right up there with almost every team in the NFL that has had a legitimate franchise quarterback let alone those that don't.  Find me another team without a quarterback like Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger since 2000 that has had 9 winning seasons and played in 12 playoff games.

The Jets are long overdue for a full-on rebuild because we actually were quite competitive for the better part of 20 years.

SAR I

On 2/25/2017 at 1:27 PM, JetsFanatic said:

I would have loved the Jets to stay in NYC. However, I never blamed Hess for moving to the Meadowlands.  The Jets truly were treated like garbage for 20 years.  Even at the end of the lease the city mishandled negoiations.

I agree but they weren't treated well in the meadowlands either.  the Giants always looked down at them and we had to play in a Stadium(though a great football stadium) that had the name of a cross town rival on it.  this current stadium is the first time we have been treated like it's a Jets stadium.

Archived