Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Bowles Handling of Jets QB’s; Brilliant or Baffling?

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Scott McLoughan on Schefter podcast, if you think the drunk can scout it's a good listen.  Spoiler alert, he says he thinks Christian Hackenberg has a 70% chance to succeed as a starter in the NFL! 

McLoughan also thinks Blake Bortles is going to have a good career.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
5 hours ago, Pcola said:

Growing pains, yes.  But to say the same as Hack is absolutely unlikely.  Carson Wentz had some issues last year.  Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch, even Kessler had some growing pains.  But last year as rookies, they were a hell of a lot more prepared and ready than Hack is currently.

Goff was not ahead of where Hack was now.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Scott McLoughan on Schefter podcast, if you think the drunk can scout it's a good listen.  Spoiler alert, he says he thinks Christian Hackenberg has a 70% chance to succeed as a starter in the NFL! 

I'm guessing the 5 1st rounders in no particular order are:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

Josh Allen

Luke Falk

Mason Rudolph

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I think a Mike Tyson quote applies here 😀

"When I was in prison I was wrapped up in all those deep books.  That Tolstoy crap, people shouldn't read that stuff"  Mike T

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

Josh Allen

Luke Falk

Mason Rudolph

A lot of scouts do not have Rudolph anyway near the first round . I heard a few say the even have a 3rd round grade on him .. them seem to like like Mayfield better. Fwiw

26 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

A lot of scouts do not have Rudolph anyway near the first round . I heard a few say the even have a 3rd round grade on him .. them seem to like like Mayfield better. Fwiw

"A lot of scouts"?  You took some kind of poll?  Anyway, opinions vary but there are enough draft sites out there that list him as a 1st round pick for me to feel comfortable that he is one of the 5 McCloughan was talking about.  I personally think he is a solid 2nd rounder.  For my personal 5 I would substitute Rudolph for Jarrett Stidham, who, if healthy, I feel he will be climbing up draft boards during the coarse of the season.

I know it wouldn't be a popular pick here , but if the Jets truly stay with a WCO I would prefer Luke Falk.  He doesn't have the arm that some of the others have but he's an upper 60's completion % and has decent size 6'4 215  and 89 TD's to 26 Int's so far through 2.5 full seasons at Wash St. 

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

Josh Allen

Luke Falk

Mason Rudolph

He didn't name them, but my guess is Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, and Stidham.

I seem to remember a similar scenario to thid regarding a 2nd Round QB that just wasn't gonna make it. His name was Drew Brees. In fact his heir apparent was drafted (Rivers) top 5 and one day Brees lights turned on. Rivers only got his job because of injury but Brees took 2 years before he looked anything close to be considered worthy of stepping on an NFL field. A second round pick that could not beat out Doug Flutie. I'm not saying its gonna happen here but never say never. What's even more interesting is that Brees is actually a better QB than the guy that was drafted to be the future and replace him

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He didn't name them, but my guess is Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, and Stidham.

Jackson 1st round WR maybe.  Great college QB but no way I draft him in the first.  I pray to GOD ALMIGHTY, that the Jets don't have a 1st round grade on him as a QB.  

Jackson 1st round WR maybe.  Great college QB but no way I draft him in the first.  I pray to GOD ALMIGHTY, that the Jets don't have a 1st round grade on him as a QB.  

I agree, but the scouts are really buzzing about him as a pro QB prospect right now, he is the one guy who can become a legit top half 1st rounder, or a 3rd round slash QB/WR project, all depends on the strides he makes this season throwing the ball, dude is supremely athletic, and has a cannon for an arm.

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I'm not sure I agree with that being 100% true all the time. Although you have some merit in that theory. When I think about some QB'S like Kap and RGIII to name a couple, they looked like great QB'S at first. Where are they now? 

Great QBs stay great after the league gets some tape in them. 

Anyway there's always exceptions to the rule. It's football. Nothing is 100% except the Pats being cheaters.

Other rookie QB's  look decent and better than Hackenberg, if you draft a QB in the 2nd round and he's not ready to play then you obviously drafted the wrong guy..
With the 6th pick in the 2017 NFL draft this team could have upgraded the QB position, they chose not to and here we are today. 

All the QBs this year are JAGs

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Brutal ? The entire offense stunk vs the Lions ...but everyone seems to know its all about the QB so Hack sucks ..... New offense just like a new defense takes at least half a season of play to nail down. You don't just read a play book and know an offense. I didnt see terrible in the Detroit game I saw a team that had no idea how to deal with what Detroit was showing them early in that game. This happens all the time in the NFL in a real game situation we could have very well come out of that funk and did well after halftime. 
Perfect example of learning a new offense. Peyton Manning throws 54 TD's Kubiak Marches in and tells Peyton you will now be running my offensive system ...So now Peyton is out of his comfort zone and is no longer the QB and the OC .... Peyton promptly sh*ts the bed after having one of the greatest seasons in NFL history. Think he fell off a cliff ? I don't ....I think he just had major Issues coming out of his comfort zone after 17 years of running it his way. It pushed him into retirement and the ONLY way that Broncos team won that SB was due to a fantastic Defense.
So if a player like Peyton Manning can struggle with something new what makes you think its going to be any different with a young QB like Hackenberg ? Who under the circumstances did all he could with what was happening.

based on the past two years ... i wouldn't call bowles a master of halftime game plan adjustments.

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

based on the past two years ... i wouldn't call bowles a master of halftime game plan adjustments.

no doubt but in general teams have first half issues all the time even the great teams ...BUT they do adjust something we never seem to do ...with that being said if our coaches cant adjust during half time ya cant really blame the players.

I think a lot of our problems over the years have been more coaching related than player related and that includes QB's because we have ruined our fair share of QB's

I think it's pretty brilliant if the plan was to start McCown all along and not play him to keep him uninjured. Plus obviously they wanted to see what Hack can do. And he was pretty bad until that last drive. Btw if Petty was injured was it at all reminiscent of Mark Sanchez getting injured in the 2nd half of an exhibition game and out for the year. Hopefully Petty ok but he is injury prone. And the Jets are going to need him in 2017. He just might be ready. I don't see McCown surviving 16 games and Hack isn't ready. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think it's pretty brilliant if the plan was to start McCown all along and not play him to keep him uninjured.

Your right this is the plan

On August 25, 2017 at 5:19 AM, T0mShane said:

I will give Bowles this much: he had nothing to do with drafting Hackenberg or Petty, so in that way he's been hamstrung. Falling in love with Fitz was dumb, but given how brutal Hackenberg has shown himself to be, you can't entirely kill Bowles for it in retrospect. 

How can you say that?

Bowles traveled to State College with Macc, Gailey, Patullo, and two scouts to conduct the secret workout at Penn State's facility. He had everything to do with it.  

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

How can you say that?

Bowles traveled to State College with Macc, Gailey, Patullo, and two scouts to conduct the secret workout at Penn State's facility. He had everything to do with it.  

Irrelevant

Macagnan is the GM.  He is the decision maker.  You literally could have had a way better player in round 2 PLUS Dak Prescott later on

WORST GM EVER