Why Mangini deserves coach of year

docdhc

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today and Dan Leberfeld was minimizing Mangini's accomplishments saying his coaching job was not great, just "solid" and the success of the team was basically because he had a healthy Chad all year. He asked if anyone really thought Mangini was a better coach than Jack DelRio, Nick Saban, or Jeff Fisher to name a few. I would have answered Hell yes. He also said his choice for COY was Marty Schottenheimer! I know Leberfeld is a putz but I started to think of why I have been so enamored with Mangini and came up with a few good reasons for him to be coach of the year.

1. He did more with a lot less. The idea that he came to TC with a team that was basically the 2004 playoff team now healthy is not true. That team had a pro bowl center, a pro bowl pass rusher, and a hall of fame running back. This team came in with rb by committee, two rookies on the OL, and a new offensive and defensive system that he instituted and made work in a very short amount of time. He certainly didn't have the big name players the Chargers have.

2. The QB situation. Yes Chad has been healthy and that is a big factor in the success but the team handled the situation flawlessly. They made Chad assume some risk when they restructured the contract, they brought in a veteran and high draft choice to compete, and they held a legitimate open competition for the #1 job. Mangini didn't baby Chad and not play him all pre-season and hand him the job like Herm probably would have done. He also utilized his strengths, letting him do no huddle and change plays from the line, and gave him the best chance to be successful.

3. Other personel decisions. Mangini held open competition for all the jobs. He figured out that Cotchery was better than McCariens, and that Adrian Jones couldn't cut it on the O-line. He finally utilized Chris Baker and Bryan Thomas, and he wasn't afraid to bench Blaylock or Barlow when necessary letting Washington and Houston develop and succeed. Plus noone griped about it publicly or caused dissention on the team.

4.Preparation and discipline. He ended the country club atmosphere present with the previous regime by running a tough training camp and weekly practices. He didn't practice in the bubble except when they played a dome team and made them get used to the elements and noise and all kinds of situations that they would eventually face. He made them tough. He is 36 with no previous HC experience and he had the balls to make professionals run laps when they made mistakes, and noone balked! For a young guy to command respect like that is a remarkable acheivement in itself in this era of entitled athletes.

5. Game planning and clock management. The game plans were innovative and flexible, designed for the opponent and never predictable. The clock management was flawless. THat drive to win the Miami game is a good example, running the clock down to 16 seconds before kicking the winning fg. They also should have tied the cleveland game on the last play of the game but the refs intervened. Aside from that 4th down play against the Colts and that one onside kick I can't remember ever even questioning one of his calls during a game. Anyone watching the Jets closely saw a disciplined, smart, and tough football team and that is definitely not typical of the roughly 40 years I have watched this franchise.

I know that Tannenbaum gets alot of the credit but I bet he doesn't make any moves this year without Eric's input and approval. Schot gets credit also but Mangini hired him and lets him call the game at his discretion. To sum up, he took over a 4-12 team that lost its HOF rb, its pro-bowl center and pass rusher, a QB coming off his 2nd shoulder surger, installed a new system on offense and defense, hired a slew of new coaches, is 36 with no previous HC experience, and has the Jets on the cusp of the playoffs! In my opinion, the overall job Mangini has done is amazing and nothing short of a friggin miracle.

Anyway thats what I would have said on the phone if I could have gotten through to that show on Sirius.

Great post. Leberfeld is, well he is Leberfeld.

Look at Chad's TD \ INT ratio. Not knocking Chad. But looking at that alone will show you that Chad being back was not enough to make them a 10 win team. If Chad put up 25 / 6 #s then I would say yes they road his coattails. But that is not the case.

Great post. Leberfeld is, well he is Leberfeld.

Look at Chad's TD \ INT ratio. Not knocking Chad. But looking at that alone will show you that Chad being back was not enough to make them a 10 win team. If Chad put up 25 / 6 #s then I would say yes they road his coattails. But that is not the case.

Not to mention, our running game was completely ineffective early on this season. Each week, they've made marked improvement, and it really looks like 4th rounder Washington is a gem. For that matter, Maningi's entire draft class has had a stellar 1st year.

Sean Payton rode the coat-tails of Drew Brees and an easy NFC schedule. Mangini has been the difference maker for the Jets.

Doc, that was a TREMENDOUS post.

Currently I'm writing a "what if" story for the JN front page, comparing Mangini to Hermpes. If I lift any of your points, I'll be sure to give credit.

Wow, that was good.

PS Leberfeld is an *sshole. No wonder Sooth copied him.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that Leberfeld wanted Mike Tice as the HC and loved Brooks Bollinger!

Thanks. I forgot to mention that Leberfeld wanted Mike Tice as the HC and loved Brooks Bollinger!

Yeah these guys rarely go back and say, "in fairness my choice would have been much worse". Mike Tice. Could you even imagine that? I wouldn't post here myself. What a disaster that would have been.

Bolly is as inaccurate as you can be. Watch him in camp. Ugh, that's just crazy.

Not to mention, our running game was completely ineffective early on this season. Each week, they've made marked improvement, and it really looks like 4th rounder Washington is a gem. For that matter, Maningi's entire draft class has had a stellar 1st year.

Sean Payton rode the coat-tails of Drew Brees and an easy NFC schedule. Mangini has been the difference maker for the Jets.

YES.

I think it was Simms that said -- the Jets reinvent themselves each week on offense. Not just the players (RB) but the plan of attack. But it isn't about the coaching. I love Chad. I will defend him forever. But to say that the Jets having a 9 or 10 win season is all (or mostly) Chad -- well that is just ignorant.

There are all these things you don't see on highlight films or elsewhere unless you watch the game.

Mangini's players all know the rules. Del Rio's don't.

35-30 Chiefs. Jax going for 2. Botched snap. (Bad as it is, it happens). What does Jax's QB do? He falls on the ball. Why?

Try to scoop it up. Tip it aside. Kick it sideways. Anything other than fall on it. What's he afraid of? KC can't score a TD. If KC scoops it up themselves & returns it 97 yds guess what - it's the same as falling on it yourself.

That and little things. Like last week's tackling/grabbing of one's own player to prevent a touchback.

I am so happy with the coaching. I feel like even with inferior personnel that we have a chance against any team in the NFL. It's been some time since I've felt that way.

Mangini should win coach of the year. Payton did a great job in N'awlins but the talent on that team especially on the offensive side of the ball is sick. Jets have some talented players but the offensive and defensive lines are average and Pennington was coming off his second surgery for a torn cuff.

Only other coach who I might consider for coach of the year is Andy Reid but Mangini still did more with less.

Archived