Sanchez 'wanted to fight' Rex Ryan in December

Sperm Edwards

Sanchez 'wanted to fight' Jets coach

By DAVID K. L I

Last Updated:5:39 AM, August 15, 2011

Posted:12:40 AM, August 15, 2011

Jet quarterback Mark Sanchez says he once nearly unleashed some unnecessary roughness -- on coach Rex Ryan!

When Ryan came close to benching Gang Green's matinee-idol star last year, Sanchez said he wanted to take a swing at the popular, outspoken sideline commander.

"I wanted to fight him. I was really mad," Sanchez said in a revealing chat with GQ magazine.

Sanchez had been performing particularly poorly, racking up consecutive, embarrassing defeats to the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins, prompting Ryan to openly speculate about benching him.

Ryan then ordered backup QB Mark Brunell to start practicing more with the team's other starters -- another sign he was considering sidelining Sanchez -- and Sanchez said he flipped.

But he never actually tried to turn Gang Green's coach black and blue, thanks to the cooler head of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, he said.

At one point, when Schottenheimer reminded Sanchez of Ryan's order to have Brunell handle more first-string plays, "I was like, '[Ryan] can come tell me [himself],' " Sanchez recalled. "And [schottenheimer] is like, 'Come on, man, don't do that,' " the QB said.

Despite his unhappiness with Ryan for nearly benching him, Sanchez still has grudging respect for his loudmouth boss.

"Rex is super-honest," he said. "I wish he wasn't that honest at times."

As one of New York's most eligible bachelors, Sanchez added that he knows he has to set boundaries for himself off the field.

He acknowledged he could, but shouldn't, party like a rock star every night.

"You have to be a 24-year-old bachelor with the means to do anything, just about, but with the wherewithal and understanding and life skills of a 45-year-old Supreme Court judge," he said.

david.li@nypost.com

Read more:http://www.nypost.co...M#ixzz1V6BEBRs6

After the games in question:

@NE - Jets lost 45-3

Sanchez

17/33 (51.5%)

164 yds

0 TD

3 INT

1 fumble

vs MIA - Jets lost 10-6

Sanchez

17/44 (38.6%)

216 yds

0 TD

1 INT

4 fumbles

Bet Rex looked back to the prior year when a 3-0 start turned into a 4-6 record. 3-0 didn't turn into 4-6 in 2 weeks; after 2 weeks they were still at 3-2. Rex worried about a 9-2 slide to 9-4 maybe being the predecessor to the Jets dropping to 9-7 or 10-6 and missing the playoffs (or squeaking in despite Sanchez playing like he did in those 2 games)?

Clearly, in hindsight, the right move was the non-move that was made.

Discuss.

Oh, and also discuss:

Sanchez 6'2" / 220 lbs.

Ryan 6'4" / 340 lbs (?).

So also, in hindsight, it was probably a good move on Mark's part to not go there.

Therefore Rex and Mark both made the right non-moves at the time. I'm happy.

Rex would destroy our petulant child model. Rex is into MMA and is twice his weight. When I did bjj I once rolled against a guy that had about 70 lbs or so on me. I submissioned him in quick order 5 times in a row until he realized all he had to do was squish me. The next 5 minutes consisted of him doing just that. He made no attempts to get submissions off me, as it was apparent to him that if he tried anything offensive I'd just beat him quickly.

Rex has about 120 lbs on Mark and the squishing will probably be even worse. Also I assume Rex knows more about fighting than the model does, so Mark is absolutely doomed.

Actually I still like Sanchez, but that is dumb. If he wanted to fight Schitty I would have been all for it. Is the reason why we still have Schitty because Sanchez needs a babysitter?

After the games in question:

@NE - Jets lost 45-3

Sanchez

17/33 (51.5%)

164 yds

0 TD

3 INT

1 fumble

vs MIA - Jets lost 10-6

Sanchez

17/44 (38.6%)

216 yds

0 TD

1 INT

4 fumbles

Bet Rex looked back to the prior year when a 3-0 start turned into a 4-6 record. 3-0 didn't turn into 4-6 in 2 weeks; after 2 weeks they were still at 3-2. Rex worried about a 9-2 slide to 9-4 maybe being the predecessor to the Jets dropping to 9-7 or 10-6 and missing the playoffs (or squeaking in despite Sanchez playing like he did in those 2 games)?

Clearly, in hindsight, the right move was the non-move that was made.

Discuss.

Oh, and also discuss:

Sanchez 6'2" / 220 lbs.

Ryan 6'4" / 340 lbs (?).

So also, in hindsight, it was probably a good move on Mark's part to not go there.

Therefore Rex and Mark both made the right non-moves at the time. I'm happy.

Based on those numbers I'm surprised it wasn't Rex who wanted to fight.

Rex would destroy our petulant child model. Rex is into MMA and is twice his weight. When I did bjj I once rolled against a guy that had about 70 lbs or so on me. I submissioned him in quick order 5 times in a row until he realized all he had to do was squish me. The next 5 minutes consisted of him doing just that. He made no attempts to get submissions off me, as it was apparent to him that if he tried anything offensive I'd just beat him quickly.

Rex has about 120 lbs on Mark and the squishing will probably be even worse. Also I assume Rex knows more about fighting than the model does, so Mark is absolutely doomed.

Actually I still like Sanchez, but that is dumb. If he wanted to fight Schitty I would have been all for it. Is the reason why we still have Schitty because Sanchez needs a babysitter?

I really think Rex is heavier than 340 as well. Saw him at camp on Friday up close and he seems like he put on whatever he lost last year.

Haha that's funny. I honestly doubt that Sanchez would have actually tried to fight him. He just loves the game and wanted to be the leader. Apparently Rex doing that helped motivate Sanchez, because after the phins game he turned it back around and played well up until the AFC championship. I mean he played really bad in those 2 games, so you can't really blame Rex for that.

Archived