Key to our Super Bowl

whodeawhodat

okay, watching the bengals gets smacked around the first few minutes of the game was bliss. After the first few minutes that feeling came back. it is the same feeling from last year(and to a lesser extent the year before). It is the feeling that our defense can come out and create such a huge surge of momentum only for our defense to have to come out in a couple of minutes and build it back up almost from scratch.

Our offense kills the momentum our defense creates. It may be because opposing teams(defenses) know that they need to pitch a near shutout to win and to an extent I think other teams defenses rise to meet our offense. It is up to Shottie and Moore to figure a way to keep that momentum and allow our defense to be stronger later into the games by not having to create that momentum each time out and instead ride that momentum all the way to home field advantage throughout the playoffs and right into INDY!!!

Think about the Steelers game last year. Their defense gave their offense opportunities and they came away with over 20 pts by riding that momentum their defense created in the first half. game over. If our offense can be as good as the steelers(that sounds strange to say, and should not be so difficult to achieve) we can run the table during the regular season and I hope we can build on the playoff success that we have already achieved.

Keys to the SUPERBOWL

1 Momentum

2 Health

3 Luck

That was Andy Dalton they were up against last night.

agreed, and you might as well note that it was a preseason game as well. And also note that it was only the 2nd preseason game. and also note that the lockout was lifted only a few weeks ago.

that gut feeling was there, regardless.

Good post, a lot of truth to it. Definitely takes all 3 of those things to make it to the Super Bowl and hoist the Lombardi.

IMO the 3 keys to the Super Bowl are...

1. Mark Sanchez

2. Mark Sanchez

3. Mark Sanchez

I'll back the Sanchize. keep growing Sanchize, you'll get there.

Good post, a lot of truth to it. Definitely takes all 3 of those things to make it to the Super Bowl and hoist the Lombardi.

1. Mark Sanchez

2. Mark Sanchez

3. Mark Sanchez

This

Even last night the Jets went through a period that they were o-5 on 3rd down. Completely blew a red zone opportunity. Can't do that against good D's

I like Sanchez alot, but this is the year he has to get consistent if the Jets are going to Indy

Our offense kills the momentum our defense creates. It may be because opposing teams(defenses) know that they need to pitch a near shutout to win and to an extent I think other teams defenses rise to meet our offense.

While I get your overall premise and agree with it to an extent, I think the bolded is just wishful thinking. The fact is that defenses don't need to step up to meet the Jets O because it's simply not all that good. This could very well be the year that all turns around, but that really comes down to one thing:

1. Mark Sanchez

2. Mark Sanchez

3. Mark Sanchez

Bingo.

My three Keys

1. Sanchez- Needs to take the next step.

2. Pass rush- Need to somehow pressure the QB without all out all out blitz.

3. Health- We lack depth in almost every area so obviously this is crucial.

LOL. What? Lack depth in almost every area? This is getting ridiculous. Based on what? Depth on OL is no doubt a question, and there's probably another couple of positions you could make an argument for, but it's nowhere close to almost every area. Depth doesn't seem to be a particular concern at DL, CB, ILB, RB, WR, TE. So what's that leave? QB? Yeah, the Jets and every other team in the league. OLB? Could be an issue, depends on what the Jets get out of Westerman and Maybin. Safety? I guess so, but the starters aren't exactly fantastic either, so I'm not sure there's some huge drop off there, particularly considering one of last years starters (Pool) is back as a backup. I'm not saying its perect, and OL depth certainly needs to be addressed, but this idea that if the Jets don't remain perfectly healthy at every position they are doomed is a little much.

Depth doesn't seem to be a particular concern at DL, CB, ILB, RB, WR, TE. So what's that leave?

Tailback, I agree. Tightend, we'll see with Cumberland.

D-Line, you're relying heavily on two rookies. I know you're all jazzed up about them, but they are always an unknown and ALWAYS wither away in December.

CB- Who? Kyle Wilson? He struggled a lot last year and has no ball skills whatsoever. Donald Strickland?

ILB - Satele? I thought he was making pizzas by now. I will agree that Josh Mauga looks pretty good.

WR - This is the funniest one. Derrick Mason is already hurt and Plaxico Burress has spent 18 of the last 20 months in prison. Beyond that, Jeremy Kerley? Okay.

This

Even last night the Jets went through a period that they were o-5 on 3rd down. Completely blew a red zone opportunity. Can't do that against good D's

I like Sanchez alot, but this is the year he has to get consistent if the Jets are going to Indy

Actually, it's probably easier to do that against good D's. :)

D-Line, you're relying heavily on two rookies. I know you're all jazzed up about them, but they are always an unknown and ALWAYS wither away in December.

CB- Who? Kyle Wilson? He struggled a lot last year and has no ball skills whatsoever. Donald Strickland?

ILB - Satele? I thought he was making pizzas by now. I will agree that Josh Mauga looks pretty good.

WR - This is the funniest one. Derrick Mason is already hurt and Plaxico Burress has spent 18 of the last 20 months in prison. Beyond that, Jeremy Kerley? Okay.

Tailback seems like an area of strength to me. From I've seen the Jets have 4 legitimate NFL running backs, not worried about that one.

TE's have looked good in camp, particularly with the emergence of Cumberland.

CB should be fine with Wilson as the number 3. Would be surprised if he doesn't improve dramatically this season, so far so good in the pre-season. I like Strickland as a number 4 as well.

ILB is thin, but like you said Mauga has looked good.

WR seems fine to me as well. Burress and Mason are great 2/3s and then Kerley and Turner are very nice 4th and 5th options. So again, not worried about them at all either.

The only depth that worries me is OL and backup QB, but any team that has serious injuries at the QB and OL positions are going to struggle regardless of who the backups are so it is what it is.

So your point is what, the Jets depth isn't good as their starters? No sh*t. Don't you find it interesting that for one position after another you had to dismiss numerous players to justify why there is allegedly no depth? The question of depth is whether or not you have any suitable replacements who, while not as good, can fill in and keep the position from being a major weakness in the starters absence. For all the talk about the rookies on the DL, they are bringing back 2 of 3 starters plus another 4 rotational players from last year, so those 2 are hardly the be all end all of the DL. As far as CB, Wilson improved over the course of last year and has played well in camp and preseason. Add Strickland who was a great nickel for the Jets two years ago, and you've still got every depth player from a year again with the exception of Coleman to back up a now healthy / in shape Revis and Cromartie with another year in the system. ILB, so you agree the #3 is fine and I guess I won't argue with you that the Jets will probably be in trouble if both Harris and Scott get hurt and the Jets are starting two backups, but there's a difference between that and "no depth". As far as WR, sure if you disregard the Jets #2, #3 and #4 WRs, yeah sure I guess you can say there is no depth, but that's not how it works.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Jets have the best depth in the league, they don't. And I'm not even saying they couldn't use to improve it in some areas, even some of the ones I listed. However, this team also isn't so thin with depth that any starter going down dooms them forever. I'm not saying the Jets would handle a major injury streak like the one GB had last year that well, but I actually think, outside of OL, the team's depth is better than last year and they got by just fine with injuries to the likes of Revis, Pace and Woody. Doesn't mean things are perfect, it just means the entire 53 man roster doesn't need to stay healthy for the Jets to win games.

This

I could not agree more. The time for Sanchez to dilly dally and not take advantage of the opportunities he's given mainly by our D is over. We sink or swim with this guy. I like what he's been doing to get to the next level though and dare I say.... I believe! Ok Shoot me now! :D

The Dline has added 2 new young studs and is missing 2 from last year. They rotate 6 players in on their starting line who are all very good. They're secondary is missing 1 player from last year (Coleman), and they added arguably a better player (Strickland). And the Jets are stacked at WR returning 3 of their top 4 receiving targets and added 3 more, 2 of them being 1,000 yard receivers.

The Oline is thin with Turner hurt and I'd say the ILB has no depth but Mauga looks damn good and Satele has looked more than adequate last night. Otherwise, depth is not an issue.

Key to our Super Bowl? Home field advantage throughout. Instead of having to win three playoff games on the road, let's win two home games.

13-3/12-4 has to be our regular season goal as of right now. Of course going undefeated is our goal, but realistically speaking, going either 13-3 and maybe even 12-4 should be enough to take home the AFC.

So your point is what, the Jets depth isn't good as their starters? No sh*t. Don't you find it interesting that for one position after another you had to dismiss numerous players to justify why there is allegedly no depth? The question of depth is whether or not you have any suitable replacements who, while not as good, can fill in and keep the position from being a major weakness in the starters absence. For all the talk about the rookies on the DL, they are bringing back 2 of 3 starters plus another 4 rotational players from last year, so those 2 are hardly the be all end all of the DL. As far as CB, Wilson improved over the course of last year and has played well in camp and preseason. Add Strickland who was a great nickel for the Jets two years ago, and you've still got every depth player from a year again with the exception of Coleman to back up a now healthy / in shape Revis and Cromartie with another year in the system. ILB, so you agree the #3 is fine and I guess I won't argue with you that the Jets will probably be in trouble if both Harris and Scott get hurt and the Jets are starting two backups, but there's a difference between that and "no depth". As far as WR, sure if you disregard the Jets #2, #3 and #4 WRs, yeah sure I guess you can say there is no depth, but that's not how it works.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Jets have the best depth in the league, they don't. And I'm not even saying they couldn't use to improve it in some areas, even some of the ones I listed. However, this team also isn't so thin with depth that any starter going down dooms them forever. I'm not saying the Jets would handle a major injury streak like the one GB had last year that well, but I actually think, outside of OL, the team's depth is better than last year and they got by just fine with injuries to the likes of Revis, Pace and Woody. Doesn't mean things are perfect, it just means the entire 53 man roster doesn't need to stay healthy for the Jets to win games.

Just because I know who the players are doesn't mean they're quality players. I watch pretty much all the pre-season games, watch as many regular season games possible, I know plenty of player bios. There are more bad players out there than good players.

The Dline has added 2 new young studs and is missing 2 from last year. They rotate 6 players in on their starting line who are all very good. They're secondary is missing 1 player from last year (Coleman), and they added arguably a better player (Strickland). And the Jets are stacked at WR returning 3 of their top 4 receiving targets and added 3 more, 2 of them being 1,000 yard receivers.

The Oline is thin with Turner hurt and I'd say the ILB has no depth but Mauga looks damn good and Satele has looked more than adequate last night. Otherwise, depth is not an issue.

Just because you spent draft picks on two players doesn't mean you "added two young studs." Could Wilkerson and Ellis be quality players? Sure. Could they not be worth suiting up on game day. Definitely. You never know, hell, we had John Jerry, Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas all look like "studs" in their rookie camps, and now none of them have a job (Jerry will be gone shortly.)

You're stacked at wideout? A 36 year old that was deemed dispensable by a team who's 2nd and 3rd receivers are Lee Evans and Torrey Smith. A guy that spent the last two years in jail. Another late round rookie that applies to what I said above. Yeah, okay.

Depth is a HUGE issue with the Jets. They have a pretty solid 22, but the quarterback and any number of injuries will crush the Jets super bowl dreams. IMO, of course.

okay, watching the bengals gets smacked around the first few minutes of the game was bliss. After the first few minutes that feeling came back. it is the same feeling from last year(and to a lesser extent the year before). It is the feeling that our defense can come out and create such a huge surge of momentum only for our defense to have to come out in a couple of minutes and build it back up almost from scratch.

Our offense kills the momentum our defense creates. It may be because opposing teams(defenses) know that they need to pitch a near shutout to win and to an extent I think other teams defenses rise to meet our offense. It is up to Shottie and Moore to figure a way to keep that momentum and allow our defense to be stronger later into the games by not having to create that momentum each time out and instead ride that momentum all the way to home field advantage throughout the playoffs and right into INDY!!!

Think about the Steelers game last year. Their defense gave their offense opportunities and they came away with over 20 pts by riding that momentum their defense created in the first half. game over. If our offense can be as good as the steelers(that sounds strange to say, and should not be so difficult to achieve) we can run the table during the regular season and I hope we can build on the playoff success that we have already achieved.

Keys to the SUPERBOWL

1 Momentum

2 Health

3 Luck

I agree to some extent, but I need to address a few points. First the Pitt loss was tough, but we weathered their push and scored 19 unanswered points. If Sanchez does not fumble after being hit, and the steelers run it in for 6, I could bet that we have them beat. But that's speculation....We have a top 3 NFL defense. Which means we will be in every single game..Which means we will dominate some teams and be at the very least able to hold our own against a top 3 NFL offensive team, one of which is the Pats. That said, the offense, and Sanchez must show improvement. With that comes the in game offensive game play calling and offensive scheme and adjustments. The weak leak in this team as it has been for at least 4 years now is the offensive play calling. Which at times makes you wonder what on earth is going on.

To win the division, we must beat the Pats twice. That will at least assure us home field for at least one game. That MUST be our goal. Then the next goal is to have home field advantage through out...If that happens, I can see our Jets making the super bowl.

Anyway that's my two cents worth.....

Just because you spent draft picks on two players doesn't mean you "added two young studs." Could Wilkerson and Ellis be quality players? Sure. Could they not be worth suiting up on game day. Definitely. You never know, hell, we had John Jerry, Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas all look like "studs" in their rookie camps, and now none of them have a job (Jerry will be gone shortly.)

You're stacked at wideout? A 36 year old that was deemed dispensable by a team who's 2nd and 3rd receivers are Lee Evans and Torrey Smith. A guy that spent the last two years in jail. Another late round rookie that applies to what I said above. Yeah, okay.

Depth is a HUGE issue with the Jets. They have a pretty solid 22, but the quarterback and any number of injuries will crush the Jets super bowl dreams. IMO, of course.

Depth is not an issue at all. The rookies are studs, just look at them and you'll see and if they're not...we returning 4 DLmen, 2 of which grade out in the top 3 in the league at their position. No issue there, plus, if you've watched....Ellis was a beast in Pouha's absence and Wilkerson looks as adverstised. It wasnt too long ago Langford was a 2nd round pick who was very good out the gates for your Dolphags. These guys, are much better prospects.

STACKED at WR!!! When you are returning 3 of your 4 leading receivers and you've added 2 STUDS!!! who were once 1,000 yard receivers, you're depth is fine. Not an issue at all. Teams are going to have a very very tough time stopping the Jets assuming Sanchez takes it to the next level. To deny that is being very very silly.

You want to find something wrong with the Jets. I get it. You're a troll. But you're knocks are misguided and uniformed.

Depth, is not an issue at all.

The home playoff game isn't as important as you guys think. I say this because over the past 2 years the Jets have been a much better road team. I don't know if it's just that the hostile environment motivates them or if it's just luck, but I feel home field is over rated, plus after breaks our offense seems to struggle (ie bye week last year) Not that I don't want home playoff games, I just don't think it's the key. The key is winning in the playoffs. Homefield advantage really only plays toward field goals. If we score touchdowns, that edge is nullified. Good teams usually get homefield anyways, but the bottom line is we need to out play and beat our opponents regardless of where the field is. It shouldn't effect our play for the most part.

The home playoff game isn't as important as you guys think. I say this because over the past 2 years the Jets have been a much better road team. I don't know if it's just that the hostile environment motivates them or if it's just luck, but I feel home field is over rated, plus after breaks our offense seems to struggle (ie bye week last year) Not that I don't want home playoff games, I just don't think it's the key. The key is winning in the playoffs. Homefield advantage really only plays toward field goals. If we score touchdowns, that edge is nullified. Good teams usually get homefield anyways, but the bottom line is we need to out play and beat our opponents regardless of where the field is. It shouldn't effect our play for the most part.

We may be a better road team in the playoffs but history will not continue to be on our side. We need to shoot for that division title.

Oh yeah, no question we should def shoot for it. I just don't think we NEED home games to win it all. Sure it would help, provided we don't stink up the joint like we often do at home.

Last year two of our poorest offensive efforts were at home, but they were against Baltimore and Green Bay. Hopefully, if we earn a home playoff game, we won't be playing a defense as tough as those.

I don't think we're weaker at home. Hell, we've beaten New England in each of our home games in the Rex era.

Archived