Jets-Giants preseason game attention trumps Yankees

Jetsfan80

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/08/24/2011-08-24_jets_plaxico_burress_on_giants_radar_as_preseason_football_takes_center_stage_ev.html?r=sports

Jets, Plaxico Burress on Giants' radar as preseason football takes centerstage, even over Yankees

Mike Lupica

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 4:00 AM

The big news around here really isn't A.J. Burnett, or what really happened with him and his manager in Minnesota. The big news, even with the Yankees playing like this, isn't the Yankees. It is football, even in the preseason. It is Rex's Jets and "The Curse of the Latin Quarter" with the Giants. All that. Even this year's preseason game between the Jets and Giants, on Saturday night, feels like a bigger game than the ones that the Red Sox and Yankees play for real a few days later at Fenway Park.

The Jets are more of a story than anything else we've got going right now, mostly because the coach is the biggest sports star in town. They have been the hot team the last couple of years, made the most noise, felt like loud, new money moving into the neighborhood even though they have been around forever.

It doesn't mean they have replaced the Giants. The Yankees and Giants have always been 1 and 1A around here, and when they win, that beats anything and everything in the place we think of as New York. The Jets don't pass the Giants just because their coach says they have, because they have made a couple of AFC Championship Games, because the coach seems to dominate every other news cycle.

But the Jets are here, and aren't going anywhere. Rex and the Jets are going to be around. Right now they seem a better bet to make even more noise this season than the Giants. But that is why you play the season. For all the headlines the Jets have made, they have done nothing compared to what the Giants did to the Patriots in that Super Bowl in Glendale, what the Giants and their fans have a right to think of as the greatest Super Bowl of them all.

Mike Tannenbaum was asked Tuesday if he thinks there really is more interest in this year's Jets-Giants preseason game than ever before.

Tannenbaum: "I think there may be a little bit bigger build-up because of Plaxico, but with us playing (the Giants) on Christmas Eve, I think that's when there will be more hype than usual."

Then Tannenbaum, who built this team with flair and nerve and went all-in hiring the big coach, was asked if even he is surprised lately with the pull of the Jets.

Tannenbaum: "I think it's the confluence of a few variables: Luck, Rex, recent success, and the popularity of our sport. It's up to us to keep the momentum of the organization going."

There is tremendous interest in pro football, here as much as anywhere. There frankly has never been interest like this in the Jets and the Giants. And there is one more variable that has helped grow the Jets brand: While so much good has been happening to them, so much has gone sideways since the night Plaxico Burress walked into a club called the Latin Quarter on Lexington Ave. with an unlicensed handgun in his pants, about to go off and blow up his life and the Giants' chance at winning two Super Bowls in a row.

The Giants lost to the Eagles in the playoffs after that. Collapsed the next season. Collapsed against the Eagles in an epic way last season. Now Plaxico is a Jet, Steve Smith is an Eagle, Kevin Boss is a Raider, Eli Manning threw 25 picks last season, Osi Umenyiora turned himself into a reality-series diva before undergoing knee surgery. Now Terrell Thomas, a very good football player, is lost for the season because he tears up his knee against the Bears.

It was mentioned to the other general manager in Jersey, Jerry Reese, that the Giants have taken an awful lot of body blows lately.

Reese: "Body blows come with the territory with this gig. So I'm battle-tested with respect to that."

But it was also pointed out to Reese that through it all, he seems to believe in his team.

Reese: "I do have a good feeling about this team. I actually like that it's been a little bit of a rocky start, although that is mostly perception, which is the same effect. But this effect makes everybody strain harder: Myself, front office, coaches, players. It makes everybody become even more detailed and focused than normal. It also gives us an 'us against the world' attitude, which really doesn't affect me but players thrive in, and love this type of challenge. Most of all why I like this team is because there's a lot of talent on this roster and our head coach will have them ready."

Finally there was one last thought from the general manager of the Giants:

"At the end of the day, this is a show-me business. Keep watching."

It is crazy to write off this general manager, this coach, this quarterback, this team. They absolutely fell apart against the Eagles in the worst fourth quarter in the history of the team, the worst regular-season loss in the history of the team. The irony of that, of course, was that the Giants had played better over the first three quarters than they had all season and were about to win the NFC East.

In a show-me league, they will show us, and probably early, whether they are the Giants of the first three quarters of that Eagles game. Or the Giants who couldn't hold a 31-10 lead at home.

For now, less than three weeks from the start of the season, they get the Jets, the Jets and all their chirp, on Saturday night. Just the third preseason game for both. Feels like more. Just about everything does with the Jets and Giants these days. A game that doesn't count is the biggest in town.

Looks that way for now....The way I see it, the Jets will continue to improve while the Giants will take a step back this year. By the time our Jets face the Pats the first time, the media buzz around that game will be huge...once we kick their butt, the second game will be even bigger....Come December 24th, the Giants season will be done, and we will put the nails in their coffin....

Yep. Both corners are injured for year now. They are in trouble.

I think you are overstating it a bit. They lost their second and fifth cbs. They still have Corey Webster who is their best by far. They will just promote Ross back up to #2. Remember Ross? He's the guy we expected the Jets to draft befre they traded up for Revis. The Giants will have a strong pass rush and they have good safeties. If they are like last year I'd run n their sh*tty lbs and wait for the turnovers. Prince is supposed to be back before October.

I think you are overstating it a bit. They lost their second and fifth cbs. They still have Corey Webster who is their best by far. They will just promote Ross back up to #2. Remember Ross? He's the guy we expected the Jets to draft befre they traded up for Revis. The Giants will have a strong pass rush and they have good safeties. If they are like last year I'd run n their sh*tty lbs and wait for the turnovers. Prince is supposed to be back before October.

Be that as it may, Ross is not particularly good. That year there were a whole slew of CBs given high grades, which is why there was some questioning of the Jets trading up to get Revis if they could've stayed put and got one of the others at their original pick. As it turned out, Revis is obviously by far the best, Leon Hall turned out to be pretty damn good, but the rest are pretty craptastic.

Be that as it may, Ross is not particularly good. That year there were a whole slew of CBs given high grades, which is why there was some questioning of the Jets trading up to get Revis if they could've stayed put and got one of the others at their original pick. As it turned out, Revis is obviously by far the best, Leon Hall turned out to be pretty damn good, but the rest are pretty craptastic.

I agree that Ross hasn't been particularly good, but he's been haviing a good camp. He was forced to play some safety for them. The point remains, the Giants LBs are their weakness. Their secondary is okay aand their pass rush is good enough that I wouldn't necessarily look to attack them through the air. Webster is their best CB

The notion that NY is a baseball town first is such a myth.

Tough to say. Baseball is such a long season. Any one NFL game for the Jets or Giants, even if they're playing a bottom-feeder, will count for more than a weekend series between the Sox and Yankees. When the baseball playoffs get going, they become the dominant story in NY until the Yankees are ousted.

The notion that NY is a baseball town first is such a myth.

New York is/always will be a baseball town 1st.

Baseball is covered ad nauseum 365 days a year.

Just listen to FAN/ESPN.

Just think if both the Mets/Yankees were both good, it would be even worse.

Outside of NY (and St Louis, Boston, and possibly Chicago) football is king

Archived